GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full Hatch Pop DIY..

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
So we finally figured it out. I have had my hatch vag-com'd to pop the hatch, but it wouldn't fully open.

I purchased stronger struts, door poppers from a door shaving kit and finally exhaust flange springs as suggested by the Dodge Magnum forums.

Tools needed:
Flat Head screwdriver
Pliers
Tape
Vag-Com release 704.1 or older
A friend to help hold the hatch.

First.. The VAG-Com work. YOU CAN NOT USE THE LATEST UPDATE, so if you have updated your vag-com to VCDS 8.50, you will need need to re-install the older version 704.1 which can be found here: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/26816746/vag+com?tab=summary

You need to change the following (at your own risk):

46 - Central Convenience
Byte 2 Bit 3.

Once the adjustments are made and you update the central convenience, you should be able to hit the hatch button on the Key FOB and hear it pop. Without any help, the hatch merely pops, but doesn't get past the release. Until you install the spring, you will need to hold the bottom and lift up on the windshield wiper to get the hatch open. When you open the hatch, you will find that it only needs to go about a foot before the struts can lift it. This is where the spring comes in.

Now install the spring: Dorman Help! product number 03080.

People have found other 3/4" springs that seem to work. The springs run about $2.00 each and have been found at local part shops (autozone, o'rielly's etc..)

You can also purchase them online - but mine took 2 weeks:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=03080
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,42,03080

Once you have the spring, you need to:
1. Take off strut from hatch by unclipping the metal clips with a small flat head screw driver. **Once the strut is removed, the hatch will no longer be supported it, so it is best to brace it or have a friend hold the hatch while you are pulling the end off.
2. Unscrew small end of strut with two pairs of pliers
3. Slide on the spring (washers are optional)
4. Put the strut back together and attach it to the hatch.
5. You will notice that the spring will slide up and down as you open it. You can wrap it with 3/4" Heat Shrink Tubing or Friction Tape as someone suggested to keep the spring in place
6. blackgti06 offered a different idea to Number 5. If you don't have shrink tubing or friction tape you can actually pull the end cap of the strut off and slide the spring underneath and replace the cap for an OEM look.

*You can use one spring but most people have been installing 2. For $2.00 a piece, might as well beef it up.

Here is what Buttero's car looks like after the heat shrink.

More pics to come.

Special thanks to Paul C. (P C) and Buttero (Buttero@setuning.com) for helping to facilitate this project.

Here are some videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfq-FN7iNkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ad8dBFab8&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n74gC_vM4jQ&e

Last edited:

EsotericRR

Ready to race!
Ducky, nice write up. Just a thought that might be mentioned. Not all have had success with the vag part and some codes work on one car but not another, right?

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
Ducky, nice write up. Just a thought that might be mentioned. Not all have had success with the vag part and some codes work on one car but not another, right?

Should be mentioned although others have played around with it again and been able to get it to work. So far I have seen it on 2006-2008 GTI's, a R32, a 2007 4-door rabbit and a 2-door rabbit... For the few people that haven't gotten it to work, I am willing to bet they set something wrong.

Adv4nc3r_Mk5

VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
very nice, but i have a question. my hatch is unlocked automatically with unlock button. when i press and hold the middle button on keyfob, it will unlock just my hatch (when u are on parking lot and u are just putting something in there). Just wondering if this is same with US models. So what exactly is that "pop"? like it goes all the way out of locking mechanism and stays there because of not enaugh power to lift it or just unlocks it?

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
So what exactly is that "pop"? like it goes all the way out of locking mechanism and stays there because of not enaugh power to lift it or just unlocks it?

You can program it to actually pop. Like a jetta trunk - infact that is how I did my programming. I copied what my fiance's jetta had and made a go of it.

I got pretty close but I was missing a few things which someone on vortex helped me out with a few months ago.

In the US you have to hit the center button on the FOB to unlock the rear hatch but it doesn't actually do anything. For my MKIV it would pop a bit but if you didn't open the hatch, it would relock itself if you don't open it after a while. . With the MKV set to pop (and no springs installed) it will pop but catch on the release mechanism and will not re-arm/ lock it if you don't open it after a while.

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
so when i vagcom it it will change my keyfob buttons configuration? i dont want to unlock my car to get inside and my hatch will open all the way up :iono:

No.. vag com will not change your key fob buttons.

Unless it is different then this.
Button 1: Unlock Doors
Button 2: Hatch Unlock
Button 3: Locks

If you hit button 2 after vagcom, your hatch will pop and fly open.

Use caution when doing this in a garage or backed up to something.

Last edited:

Adv4nc3r_Mk5

VW obsessed
Car(s)
VW Golf mkv
No.. vag com button will not change your key fob.

Unless it is different then this.
Button 1: Unlock Doors
Button 2: Hatch Unlock
Button 3: Locks

If you hit button 2 after vagcom, your hatch will pop and fly open.

Use caution when doing this in a garage or backed up to something.

thats what i was asking in first post. it seems different in US models.
1 button - unlock doors AND hatch (just press one time)
2 button - unlocks the hatch BUT leaves all doors locked (need to hold it, its not working any other way)
3 button - locks everything

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
thats what i was asking in first post. it seems different in US models.
1 button - unlock doors AND hatch (just press one time)
2 button - unlocks the hatch BUT leaves all doors locked (need to hold it, its not working any other way)
3 button - locks everything

I am sure you can vagcom it so that the hatch only works with button 2. Probably in the convenience module.