GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel question!

Dubsta

Drag Racing Champion
What is everyone getting per tank....I'm getting just about 500kms...which to me is not that great...but whatever, I still don't have 1000kms on the car yet, is it supposed to improve?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I am getting about 310 per tank start out( at fill up) and then it ends up at 280-290. On a 14 gallon tank that's not the best. Seems like the window sticker stated better than that.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
True.....I noticed while cruising though thatthe miles till empty sudenly went from 175 to 170. I was just cruising down the road. Still getting about 300 miles on this tank so far. I was getting close to 310 for a bit but now I am at about half a tank. I'll see if it continues to go down. If so then I am gonna fill up at half a tank from now on.

Fast Eddie GTI

Autocross Newbie
loccusst said:
True.....I noticed while cruising though thatthe miles till empty sudenly went from 175 to 170. I was just cruising down the road. Still getting about 300 miles on this tank so far. I was getting close to 310 for a bit but now I am at about half a tank. I'll see if it continues to go down. If so then I am gonna fill up at half a tank from now on.

it only reads in 5 mile increments:wink:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I wondered that....thanks for clearing that up.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I think the fuel gauges in newer cars are not linear. I had a loaner Mazda6 for a while and it would stay on Full for about the first 100 miles, the needle wouldn't budge. Then it would drop to 3/4 tanks run from there to 1/4 tank fairly smoothly.

My Mazda5 likes to spend most of it's time above 1/2 tank. Once the gauge hits the 1/2 way mark it drops like a rock.

Both of these cars acted like this consistantly. Granted they are both Mazdas, but I have heard other people on other forums with other cars with similar issues.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah most cars seem to do that. My civic would do that and it was a 99. I am just trying to figure out if the gas milage per gallon goes down as the tank goes down.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
most fuel gagues are like that, the gauge in my car stays at full for close to 100 miles when on the highway, and at least the first 50 miles if i'm just doing city driving.