GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Pump screw broke off during driving!

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
My fuel pump is LOOSE. The car has a CEL now. One of the bolts has broken; they didn't seem to be torqued properly. The problem is that the shop that installed the FP is 1.5 hours away so I have to take my car to a dealer or to a tuner shop here. I just got the FP installed 1.5 months ago. Think he is responsible for not tightening things properly? Think there might be damage to the camshaft at all? The FP was sticking out as shown in the pictures. Also, the top of the FP has been rubbed down after popping out.

Any advice regarding a course of action (e.g. take it to a tuner shop or dealer, etc.)?

Video clip of idle: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/twisted_by_dezign/?action=view&current=MVI_1427.flv

Last edited:

09SemperGTI

Ready to race!
Def. take it to the shop where you had it done. They used low-quality bolts and didn't torque them back to factory spec. The dealership won't touch this, I don't think, since they didn't install it. Take it back to where you had it installed, and tell them they need to fix it.

09SemperGTI

Ready to race!
True that, but that isn't the issue here. The shop clearly used low-grade bolts, and didn't do what they were paid to do. If they refuse to do it, there's possibly cause for legal action.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
The bad thing is that my car is 1.5 hours away from the shop where the parts were installed at (I live in two cities). I will take my car to an independent shop tomorrow to get all damage assessed and then I will call up the shop 1.5 hours away to tell them that they need to fix it or reimburse me for all damages caused. I'll give APR a call too to see what the worn out top of the HPFP means as well as other advice.

This is stupid. Ugh.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
plain and simple you must document this, the only way this is possible is through human error. good luck, i hope you get this all sorted out.

do not start it either. and do not clear any fault codes.

actually, make sure to document all the fault codes when you have it scanned.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I have the receipt from the shop that installed the part. I will give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully there is no damage to the camshaft or the HPFP but somehow I am doubting that...

I wonder how loose the bolts must have been for them to come off/break in 1.5 months. Pretty sad job if you ask me; this shop is supposed to be Central Alberta's premiere VW tuner shop.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Yup, I mentioned that. lol. It seems like they did not tighten them to spec.

Last edited:

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I really don't know. But they are going to have to fix it or reimburse me for all damages done. A reputable shop should not be letting simple things like not torquing bolts to spec happen.

Last edited:

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Damn, did your car just die as you were going down the street?

Nope. It still runs (see video clip in first post), but there is a CEL and it is a very rough noise. It can't be good at all considering the HPFP is not properly seated. I was 5 mins from home on the freeway when the FP popped out.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, those bolts are the stock HPFP bolts. I almost wonder if the shop that installed the APR pump, torqued the bolts down so much that they actually began to twist the bolt (hard to believe considering how soft those aluminum threads are that they thread into). Finally, after so much heat and pressure, the bolt just broke free, hence where you are now. It's definitely on the shop...APR can't really help you out...maybe they would be willing to retest the pumps integrity, but after that, there's not a whole lot they can offer. I agree with everyone else, you need to contact the shop ASAP and link them to this thread and try to work something out.

Also, can we get a pic of the camlobe surfaces? I'm hoping that you caught the problem in time and the side-loading from the pump not being fully seated didn't cause any damage. Either way man...I hope the best for you...and hope that the shop that did the work takes some responsibility here. Please keep us up to date on the situation.