GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FSI HPFP Roller Conversion / Follower Failure

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
So it happened, the dreaded follower failure. I checked the follower in December, it still had a slight chamfer at edge. I planned on swapping it in the next couple months, but it didn't last 2000 kms. No new sound, no odd noise, no CEL.
9rIrhY4.jpg

This isn't a DIY, as there are plenty of good articles out there that will get you to the cams. But you can look at the carnage, and how I used 3D printing to save some money by not needing to purchase a modified housing. I drilled out the housing in 2 steps. first at 26mm, then the final at 33mm.

A few things:
-After the pump was re-installed, it took several minutes of cranking to get enough fuel pressure to fire.
-The pressure would fluctuate from 60 bar, to less than 5 while idling. After swapping the pressure regulator, it runs perfectly. So I believe the root cause was a bad regulator. The pump was unable to keep up.
-I also no longer need to wait before starting the car. I previously had to leave the key in the ON position for about 5 seconds, before starting, otherwise it just wont start.
-Sadly I can no longer use the damaged APR pump, but the new cam lobe has a higher lift than the stock lobe, so I don't believe 130 bar will be an issue.

The kit itself is from TMG performance in Greece.

Gallery

-Cad

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Cool kit at a good price but install not for beginners.
I have a roller kit from IAbed on my car, it has been great.

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
6ish month update. The stock pump on stage 2+ didn't go very well, especially with the AC on in summer. There were days where it didn't leave limp mode at all, and at 1 point, I maxed out the Fault Frequency counter at 254.

I ended up getting the IE kit, as I needed to replace the pump seal too. So I now have an APR pump housing, with IE internals...

The roller shows no wear, nor do the upgraded lobes. I see lots of oil on the back side of the roller bucket, so its definitely getting oiled well.

-Cad

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
So that's all you need to do to the chain cover. Drill it out to 33mm! If I knew that in advance......

The only thing I didn't like about the roller conversion was the extra noise over a follower. The EA113 is noisy enough without aftermarket parts adding to them. I also didn't like having to bend the rigid fuel lines either, but the pump does still fit under the OEM engine cover at least.....just.