GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frozen Catch Can

SlowNLow

MOAR LOW
So with the freezing temps and me being an idiot and forgetting to empty my catch can, it filled up and froze.

Now, all the threads I'm seeing show what the signs are when your catch can freezes but not actually what to do when it happens. Seeing as I'm stuck at work, is it possible to start the car, unscrew the oil filler cap to release extra pressure (prevent damage) start the car and try to hit the catch can with a heat gun? I don't want to cause any damage to the motor and figured this might be the best way.

The temp is going to be in the single digits for the next couple of days so I don't see it thawing out on its own anytime soon.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gearhead94

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the same thing the other day. I pulled the dip stick out a little to let it vent.
I took the can off the other day and set it by the fire place.

onesmk5

What is exactly does the catch can do, I noticed that my car has one but I'm unaware what's its purpose, I'm new to all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nogti4now

Custom User Title Here
Car(s)
07 gti
Happened to me last year, filled all the way up and froze, started the car and smoked out half the neighbourhood. So I removed it, brought it inside and thawed it under warm water and kept an eye on it ever since. I've hear you can add like anti freeze or something of the sort to prevent it.

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
What is exactly does the catch can do, I noticed that my car has one but I'm unaware what's its purpose, I'm new to all this.
Separates out oil/water/fuel from crankcase vapors rather than putting them back into the engine as the factory PCV system does. Helps prevent gunk from building up in there.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I positive and I wasn't aware that you had to drain

Yup you sure do, and if doesn't appear to be VTA (vent to atmosphere) so yes, there should be valve of some sort on the bottom to drain it with. It's whole purpose is to "catch" or separate the oil, fuel, and water vapors. And the majority of these vapors stay in the can, and condense back to a liquid state.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Get a battery blanket heater and plug it in at night.