GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front suspension knock

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
I fixed my rear knock/rattle last week and now I have a knock/rattle happening from the front suspension... its just one thing after the other. The sound happens over uneven bumpy surfaces at low speeds. It seems to be some sort of metal on metal contact and it feels like its getting worse everyday. I have a feeling its just something loose like the sway bar end links or something. The strut mounts and strut bearings were replaced when I had the Koni's and H&R's installed. After changing the suspension on these cars what are some common issues to look for that could cause a knocking sound?

Last edited:

Spectre

Ready to race!
My ///M3 blew out both sway bar end links so I upgraded to beefy adjustable ones. Check those. Easy to tell. I doubt it's something "just loose".

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Something being loose would be a lot cheaper to fix though so I can always hope :)

Duster117

Ready to race!
Man it sux you are having so many problems with yours.
I kinda feel lucky that the only problem I have is quick cam follower wear

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Man it sux you are having so many problems with yours.
I kinda feel lucky that the only problem I have is quick cam follower wear

Jeeez when you say it like that it upsets me haha.. I don't think I've had that many problems except for the oil consumption but that's all fixed now. Just passed 1500 miles and the oil is still full. Other than that I had that bad rear shock mount, the gas cap light which turned off and never came back, Oh and that weird noise from under the car when rolling forward from a dead stop mysteriously went away after getting an alignment. I'll be very happy once this knock issue is taken care of...

Duster117

Ready to race!
Lol didn't mean to upset you.
I just thought when u said its been one thing after another, you had other problems to

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Lol didn't mean to upset you.
I just thought when u said its been one thing after another, you had other problems to

haha yeah I dunno it just seems that way right now. Everything was so solid a few days ago.. No strange noises and barely any interior rattles.. I was loving it. I'm taking it in today so hopefully I'll have good news tonight :)

Spectre

Ready to race!
Suspension problems don't bother me personally. It's all simple mechanical stuff. Engine and tranny is no bueno. So I wouldn't sweat it.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
I just drove home from work and the noise wasn't that bad. I dunno, maybe I'm just over reacting... I checked the sway bar links and they seemed fine. The noise is still there its just hard to reproduce consistently. At free speeds with big bumps it doesn't make any noise, I went into a parking lot with lots of bumps but couldn't get it to make the noise. I'll just keep an eye on it I guess...

The good news is my Driver Programmer came in the mail today! :thumbup:

Spectre

Ready to race!
I had a bad sounding problem about a month and a half ago. It only did it around 20 m.p.h. I always could hear it while driving the long ass way to my apartment (I'm way in the back. It's like a mile with a bunch of speed bumps). Finally one day it just started screeching and sounding like someone jammed a screwdriver between my brake pads and rotor. I was right in front of my building thankfully. I jacked up the car, removed the right side wheel. Inspected everything (for the fifth time). Couldn't find shit. Put the wheel back on. Drove my Bimmer for a few days while I tried to figure out what it could be. Drove the GTI on that Saturday morning to start to try and diagnose. Not only was the screeching sound gone. That other noise disappeared to. That was about 15K miles ago. Been pure since. Who the fuck knows what it was. A rock or something? Never came back.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Good news, guys. I found the source of the noise... the air filter enclosure case was banging against the top near the radiator. Hahaha I was stressing out over nothing. I slid the rubber gasket down a little and no more noise! Car is back to nice solid thumps over bumps, no rattles. Sooooo happy... Oh and DM just emailed me my tuned file! Gonna go flash it after I post this. It's been a great Friday! :)

Source of noise

Problem fixed