GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front End Pulsating/Vibration Help

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I hope that I can get some help from my fellow R32 owners. The place where I currently reside does not really have mechanics and are mainly part replacers. I have done a lot of part replacing on my car and a lot of it is by trial and error, which has cost me a lot of money. I have searched in the GolfMKV/VW Vortex forums and have not found a solution. I have also searched Google and found some information but I am here now to see what you guys think.

I had an issue with severe vibration in the steering wheel. After many trips to different wheel balance/alignment shops it was finally determined that the Hub Centering Rings(plastic) were failing, so I had aluminum rings machined. That vibration has been resolved. Other items that have been replaced in the past year are as follows:

1. Lower Control Arm Bushings
2. Wheel Bearings (Front and Back)
3. Brake Pads (EBC Red Stuff)
4. Brake Rotors (EBC OEM Replacements)
5. Transmission Mounts
6. Engine Mount
7. Wheels (Enkei EKM3), Place painting my OEMs bent them.
8. DSG Transmission
9. Front Axles
10. Driveshaft Mount w/Bearing

I think that is everything for now. So pretty much it is a new 2006 .:R.

I am now having a Pulsating/Vibration from the front end. I can feel the front end vibrating "through" the steering wheel (steering wheel not vibrating/shifting), in the floorboards, and in the pedals. It starts at about 55kph or 35mph and can be felt more at higher speeds but stays contstant throughout the drive. When I brake hard from or during higher speeds there is vibration in the steering wheel and when slowing down there is a loud and deep groan sound coming from the front left I believe.

My thought is that one or both of my front rotors are warped and need to be replaced along with the pads. I have not checked yet but I also think that my transmission mounts are not correctly attached after the transmission swap. I also checked the bearings and they do not seem to be the issue.

Let me know what you guys think. I am trying to get out of taking my car to one of these shops and also to the stealership as they both keep the car for 3-4 days just to check something out. Also they are way more high priced that in the US (50-75% higher). Thanks for any inputs you may have. :help:

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
the first thing that came to mind, which you mentioned, is rotors and pads...they could be warped. if you still have stock rotors and pads, try switching those out to see if the vibration goes away. otherwise, resurface the rotors and see if that helps.

secondly, the groaning noise you mentioned reminded me of when one of my front wheel hub bearings went out. I would double check that.

lastly, check all of your mounts to verify they are installed properly. with most aftermarket mounts you get a bit more vibration. what mounts do you have?

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
the first thing that came to mind, which you mentioned, is rotors and pads...they could be warped. if you still have stock rotors and pads, try switching those out to see if the vibration goes away. otherwise, resurface the rotors and see if that helps.

secondly, the groaning noise you mentioned reminded me of when one of my front wheel hub bearings went out. I would double check that.

lastly, check all of your mounts to verify they are installed properly. with most aftermarket mounts you get a bit more vibration. what mounts do you have?

I wish I would have kept the old rotors for this purpose, but I changed them out because there was no meat left. It was the same with the pads. I would get the rotors that I have now turned, but I don't think it can be accomplished here. I know it is expensive, but I am looking to replace all rotors and pads.

I will definitely look into the bearings and the mounts. I have the OEM Engine and Transmission mounts.

bit of a trip

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Although I don't have an R32, I have the mkv platform and was experiencing similar vibrations. Had subframe spacers installed, with new stretch bolts, and had the sway bar end links re-torqued. Vibration has since ceased.

However, I did replace my Rotors and pads to the ECS slots at the same time... but my old rotors and pads I'm fairly certain weren't warped. No shakes when braking, just vibration from 35mph and up, getting seriously significant around 80mph.

I would consider tightening all of the sway bar and subframe bolts as a first, free step.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
Although I don't have an R32, I have the mkv platform and was experiencing similar vibrations. Had subframe spacers installed, with new stretch bolts, and had the sway bar end links re-torqued. Vibration has since ceased.

However, I did replace my Rotors and pads to the ECS slots at the same time... but my old rotors and pads I'm fairly certain weren't warped. No shakes when braking, just vibration from 35mph and up, getting seriously significant around 80mph.

I would consider tightening all of the sway bar and subframe bolts as a first, free step.

Thanks for the input. Anything I can do for free will help me a great deal and I will definitely take a look into all of the possible bolts that I can torque down.

azn_ek

Ready to race!
Just curious, does the problem only occur when its cold? Or just after you stop the car for a while then it sort of stops after u drive it a while? Cause i'm getting that issue at the moment but i just put on KW v1's onto my golf r32. Very fustrating

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
Just curious, does the problem only occur when its cold? Or just after you stop the car for a while then it sort of stops after u drive it a while? Cause i'm getting that issue at the moment but i just put on KW v1's onto my golf r32. Very fustrating

Just a front end vibration that happens the whole time I am driving and then when I put on the brakes, there is a loud sort of humming sound. Leads me to believe it is warped rotors, but also taking a look at the other suggestions.

I hope that you find something on the KW's with that issue. I had FK's and took them off 2 weeks after having them because of issues. Now I just have H&R springs on stock shocks for now.

bit of a trip

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
I am now having a Pulsating/Vibration from the front end. I can feel the front end vibrating "through" the steering wheel (steering wheel not vibrating/shifting), in the floorboards, and in the pedals. It starts at about 55kph or 35mph and can be felt more at higher speeds but stays contstant throughout the drive. When I brake hard from or during higher speeds there is vibration in the steering wheel and when slowing down there is a loud and deep groan sound coming from the front left I believe.

I replaced my drivers side (front left) axle/cv/driveshaft; that whole assembly. Shake went away at 35mph.

A shake developed at 75-83 mph, and wouldn't ya know, it was the right side driveshaft assembly.

I know you said you already replaced the axles, so I'm not sure what else to add. Limited knowledge of part interaction. Did you replace the CV joints? (pardon, if the cv joints are part of the axle).

The vibration when braking sounds like warped rotors... but you replaced them, so I don't know about that.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I replaced my drivers side (front left) axle/cv/driveshaft; that whole assembly. Shake went away at 35mph.

A shake developed at 75-83 mph, and wouldn't ya know, it was the right side driveshaft assembly.

I know you said you already replaced the axles, so I'm not sure what else to add. Limited knowledge of part interaction. Did you replace the CV joints? (pardon, if the cv joints are part of the axle).

The vibration when braking sounds like warped rotors... but you replaced them, so I don't know about that.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact replace both axles and the CV is part of the assembly. I ordered the rotors and pads from ECS so hopefully they get here soon but have not replaced them. I hope they get here soon.

I took the car to the stealership and they replaced the front bearings/hubs which helped a little bit with noise. I asked them to check the brakes but of course they didn't. So once I have the rotors and pads installed, I am sure that the vibration will go away. Warped rotors for sure. I will post once they are replaced.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Give the brakes a couple of (SAFE) really hard long hits until they smoke and drive till they cool off. A new layer will be deposited on rotors.

Bazzle

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
Give the brakes a couple of (SAFE) really hard long hits until they smoke and drive till they cool off. A new layer will be deposited on rotors.

Bazzle

Yeah. I tried this several times but has not resolved the issue. I believe that I have my new pads and rotors. Haven't checked the mail yet.

bit of a trip

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Hey, just wanted to touch back on your thread.

Some slight vibration started to develop even after my driveshaft assemblies were replaced.

I had my dealership tighten every suspension bolt, including but not limited to front and back subframe bolts, end links, ball joints, tie rods etc etc. Shakes went away.

Hope you get your car all sorted out!

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
Hey, just wanted to touch back on your thread.

Some slight vibration started to develop even after my driveshaft assemblies were replaced.

I had my dealership tighten every suspension bolt, including but not limited to front and back subframe bolts, end links, ball joints, tie rods etc etc. Shakes went away.

Hope you get your car all sorted out!

Sweet. Thanks. I will take a look at that was well. I found that the dealership out here does not know much about the car as well. I am am going to buy my own torque wrench and tighten everything down.

Maybe whoever is installing your suspension parts isnt using the right torque specs.

I have actually lost all faith in getting any repairs done out here. I will be fixing everything myself from now on. Good call on the suspension. I will look at it. I am hearing a vibration in the rear and the dealership is saying that it is the differential but do not believe them due to their knowledge level.

0-60Motorsports

Since 1998
Car(s)
04 M3 E46
Sweet. Thanks. I will take a look at that was well. I found that the dealership out here does not know much about the car as well. I am am going to buy my own torque wrench and tighten everything down.

I have actually lost all faith in getting any repairs done out here. I will be fixing everything myself from now on. Good call on the suspension. I will look at it. I am hearing a vibration in the rear and the dealership is saying that it is the differential but do not believe them due to their knowledge level.

Good idea. Best of luck brother.