GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From iPhone to Android

Stinger

Ready to race!
I recently replace the headunit of my GTI with an EONON G5153V, a Chinese made android unit. A week later I switched from an iPhone 5 to the new Samsung 6S (company phone) which I eagerly looked forward to.

I've only ever had iPhones and iPads, living in the cozy and constrained world of Apple. Not that I'm an Apple fan (or Android for that matter). I just buy what I think is the best product and back when, the iPhone 3 was it. My wife got an iPhone, we got iPads and soon we were freely locked in the Apple world.

I've hated iTunes from the day it came out and every iteration after that. Nothing about it is intuitive and I was prevented from going anywhere I wanted to go. With the iPhone 5 I started having battery issues and space issues and finally I said enough and switched.

I've had my Samsung 6S for a couple weeks and, with it and my headunit, discovered the world of android. First thing I discovered is that the learning curve is steeper than I thought it would be. Apps are apps, right? wrong! Or rather, yes, but...

So I started this thread for advice from the android crowd in here to help me navigate the labyrinth of options that android and the S6 offer or not. I've already realized that I will need to know how to use my phone well to properly set up my headunit.

Like, what's the purpose of the division between an "Apps" section and what looks like a front section? in iOS an app is downloaded and can be placed where ever you want. In android, Apps seems like a vault of downloaded apps that can be copied to the front but remain in Apps...very confusing to me because the same app ends up on various screens. Maybe I'm not using these 2 sections the way they were meant to be?

Also, can I not have the little notification bubble with number of messages? I get them on Samsung's email app and WhatsApp but none others. I looked everywhere in the zillion setting options from apps and the system to no avail. The best I could find is a sound notification when I get new messages.

Also, why are TXT messages going to my company email? It's got to be a system setting because it doesn't matter which messaging app I use I've not been able to stop TXT from going to email.

While Samsung and android offer many more settings than iOS, it appears they don't all work. Among others, my phone won't mute when I turn it face down, as stated in motions and gestures.

With your help I will soon get over the learning curve and will discover the pleasures of tinkering with my phone like I do with my car, my pc, etc. so thanks for your feedback which could encourage others to make the switch!

Fonzii18

Ready to race!
I recently replace the headunit of my GTI with an EONON G5153V, a Chinese made android unit. A week later I switched from an iPhone 5 to the new Samsung 6S (company phone) which I eagerly looked forward to.

I've only ever had iPhones and iPads, living in the cozy and constrained world of Apple. Not that I'm an Apple fan (or Android for that matter). I just buy what I think is the best product and back when, the iPhone 3 was it. My wife got an iPhone, we got iPads and soon we were freely locked in the Apple world.

I've hated iTunes from the day it came out and every iteration after that. Nothing about it is intuitive and I was prevented from going anywhere I wanted to go. With the iPhone 5 I started having battery issues and space issues and finally I said enough and switched.

I've had my Samsung 6S for a couple weeks and, with it and my headunit, discovered the world of android. First thing I discovered is that the learning curve is steeper than I thought it would be. Apps are apps, right? wrong! Or rather, yes, but...

So I started this thread for advice from the android crowd in here to help me navigate the labyrinth of options that android and the S6 offer or not. I've already realized that I will need to know how to use my phone well to properly set up my headunit.

Like, what's the purpose of the division between an "Apps" section and what looks like a front section? in iOS an app is downloaded and can be placed where ever you want. In android, Apps seems like a vault of downloaded apps that can be copied to the front but remain in Apps...very confusing to me because the same app ends up on various screens. Maybe I'm not using these 2 sections the way they were meant to be?

Also, can I not have the little notification bubble with number of messages? I get them on Samsung's email app and WhatsApp but none others. I looked everywhere in the zillion setting options from apps and the system to no avail. The best I could find is a sound notification when I get new messages.

Also, why are TXT messages going to my company email? It's got to be a system setting because it doesn't matter which messaging app I use I've not been able to stop TXT from going to email.

While Samsung and android offer many more settings than iOS, it appears they don't all work. Among others, my phone won't mute when I turn it face down, as stated in motions and gestures.

With your help I will soon get over the learning curve and will discover the pleasures of tinkering with my phone like I do with my car, my pc, etc. so thanks for your feedback which could encourage others to make the switch!
I went from iPhone to samsung and I'm going back to iPhone
Android phones are sketch all these apps want control access of your phones features and info
Don't get me wrong it's got some cool stuff especially the fact you can personalize so much and text swipe is the shiz and that external sd car makes it so you never have to delete anything to make space
But having to get security apps seems a little to much
Plus I loved imessage
But if it's a company phone it should be awesome
So many neat things you can do
It's like a mini laptop ?

Stinger

Ready to race!
I'm learning...

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I was an avid Android user and loved the functionality it gave me... I loved tinkering, learned to write code on it and even hack networks etc... (for fun of course) but i got bored at one point and just needed a phone to work as a phone when I need it too, thus the iPhone. All my androids would crash when I need it most. Was not stable enough to set and forget.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Android is great just don't get a cheap one. The good ones are more powerful than my laptop.