GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

from 370z to GTI/TSi?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The ~only~ reason I'd say you shouldn't get an S model is whether you care for a quality stereo system or not. Sound is extremely important to me, and was the sole reason I got an SE over an S model, even though I REALLY wanted the cloth seats.

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
OP drive a few combinations of the GTI if possible to get an idea of the S/SE differences. I don't think you'll notice the extra 10 HP in the Sport/SE/Autobahn model but you may appreciate the larger brakes from the Golf R, the lighting package (I know I do), and the keyless entry and push button start. I went with the sport trim because I loved the plaid cloth seats and needed the lighting package. I can't see well at night even with glasses lol.The stereo sounds fine to me but I'm not an audiophile by any means. I was torn over getting a DSG after I drove it back to back with the 6MT. It's definitely much easier for slow traffic situations, but im glad I got the manual. I actually make up excuses to take it out for a drive. You'll be happy with whatever package you choose, it's a great, well built car that checks all the boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Depends on your driving as to whether or not you'll notice the PP but I would feel better knowing I had it. It sounds like you hit some traffic so if it's an either or I'd spend the cash on getting an SE. You would get the better stereo, push button start, keyless entry and a sunroof if you like them. Some out here will bang on about weight up high and center of gravity but if those things and canyon carving are priorities keep the 370z with it's manual transmission and rwd chassis and put a little money into that.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Would you say the performance package is worth the extra cost?

I'd say the PP is definitely worth the extra money whether you plan to track or not. If you plan on modding at all, you're going to starting off with a much more capable car from the get go. Think about it, you get the bigger brakes, slight power bump and the differential for what $2.5k? people spend nearly half that price simply having wavetracs and quaifes installed aftermarket.

Not saying it's an absolute necessity however but not shopping around for the LP and PP are my 2 biggest regrets about buying the GTI I did.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
I'd say the PP is definitely worth the extra money whether you plan to track or not. If you plan on modding at all, you're going to starting off with a much more capable car from the get go. Think about it, you get the bigger brakes, slight power bump and the differential for what $2.5k? people spend nearly half that price simply having wavetracs and quaifes installed aftermarket.

Not saying it's an absolute necessity however but not shopping around for the LP and PP are my 2 biggest regrets about buying the GTI I did.
This is accurate im glad I grabbed an SE with LP but do wish I waited got a PP to come up. I won't lie I got a heck of a deal on mine though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Would you say the performance package is worth the extra cost?

I think so.
To add aftermarket brakes and an LSD it would cost far more than the PP price. LSD works well in snow and wet road. Brakes give great confidence and no fade. Think of it having the brakes of a Mustang but in a 500lbs lighter vehicle.

Someone mentioned $2,500 for PP but I think when I purchased in 2015 it was $1800. Not sure what current price is.

iMk7

Ok so let's say, SE package, performance package, lighting package, and DSG. What's a ballpark price range?.. 32k?

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the responses! Ill be going to a vw dealership again to test drive the GTI, but I think I'm pretty set on it. It'll be a good balance between sport/confort and it'll be pretty cool to see his and hers (golf 1.8T & GTI) in the drive way.. Hopefully buying 2 cars will hand me a better deal.

Ill most likely get the DSG tranny (I know I know, its not a manual lol) BUT after driving and owning Manual trans for about 8 years, a DSG sounds nice for daily driving in LA county traffic. I have mixed feelings about it so ill be driving both manual and dsg at the dealership. DSG+stage 1 tune sounds like a perfect combo with what I'm looking for in a Daily Driver.

as far as reliability goes... Its a bit of a concern, But my 370z had so many problems that at some point I was really hoping someone would just steal the POS (thank goodness for warranty) So vw can't be that bad *knock on wood. lol.
Do yourself a favor and rent a GTI with the DSG for at least 2 days. While it is nice, it can be off-putting for people who have only driven a manual.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Ok so let's say, SE package, performance package, lighting package, and DSG. What's a ballpark price range?.. 32k?

2017 SE comes with PP standard. And MOST come with LP (It's supposed to be standard but isn't always). So basically you want a 2017 SE DSG. $5k off sticker is achievable (before taxes and yours suck I know). A few Cali people show their prices paid back in early Feb.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082&page=23

Some good reading in there.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Before negotiations, yes. Bear in mind that all 2017 SE models come standard with PP, however they don't all come standard with LP even though it is somewhat ambiguously stated that they are... DSG adds at least 1K to the price over the manual. You can definitely get an SE DSG PP/LP 2017 for, say, 28k+TTL

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
GTI is the equilibrium between fun and practical. You can comfortably commute, go grocery shopping, pets, etc...all while having the ability to step on it and be a very quick car.

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
I just wrapped up a 100 round trip commute and got 33mpg. During that commute I went from 72-100 and got up to 85 on an on ramp (I just got over 1000 miles so now it's fun time) but @russiankid is right. Perfect balance between everyday practicality and complete blast to drive

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I just wrapped up a 100 round trip commute and got 33mpg. During that commute I went from 72-100 and got up to 85 on an on ramp (I just got over 1000 miles so now it's fun time) but @russiankid is right. Perfect balance between everyday practicality and complete blast to drive

Those mpg will go down when you put appropriate tires on lol ;) Just putting on my Cooper Zeon RS3-A's (budget UHP All-Seasons, aka imitation performance tires) dropped me 3-4mpg highway. Doesn't make a difference around town though. I'd bet a set of ~real~ performance tires (Indy 500, Michelin PSS, etc) will give you a good 5-6mpg highway hit.

I used to get 36mpg going 80mph on my stock all seasons. Now I get 30. Now, I generally go 70mph, and get 34/35 (back then I would've gotten 38,39)

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Those mpg will go down when you put appropriate tires on lol ;) Just putting on my Cooper Zeon RS3-A's (budget UHP All-Seasons, aka imitation performance tires) dropped me 3-4mpg highway. Doesn't make a difference around town though. I'd bet a set of ~real~ performance tires (Indy 500, Michelin PSS, etc) will give you a good 5-6mpg highway hit.

I used to get 36mpg going 80mph on my stock all seasons. Now I get 30. Now, I generally go 70mph, and get 34/35 (back then I would've gotten 38,39)

Pretty sure my mpg will go down as I get better downshifting :) 1500 miles on my first ever MT car.