GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Found a CHEAP '08 Rabbit- need some advice

huskeR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
Also, does anyone know of any good aftermarket warranty companies?

I would definitely go with Volkswagen's own extended warranty over an aftermarket one. First its nice to know you're covered by vw itself instead of some shady company that could go bankrupt at any time. Second, when I was shopping around for one, most of them were more expensive than vw's own warranty too.

74karmann

I would definitely go with Volkswagen's own extended warranty over an aftermarket one. First its nice to know you're covered by vw itself instead of some shady company that could go bankrupt at any time. Second, when I was shopping around for one, most of them were more expensive than vw's own warranty too.

Is it possible to buy a manufacturer's warranty for a 2 year old vehicle with 80,000 miles? -Where could I apply for this?

huskeR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
Is it possible to buy a manufacturer's warranty for a 2 year old vehicle with 80,000 miles? -Where could I apply for this?

I know it's possible for a 2 year old car (they'll cover a car up to 4 years old)

As far as the mileage, I'm not sure how high they'll allow. I know they have a plan that covers you until 100k, but not sure how high they'll allow you to START that coverage from, if that makes sense. You'll just have to ask them.

Their website: http://www.volkswagenextendedwarranty.com/

I had better luck just calling them instead of using the email system: (877)599-8299

koreanmonk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
UG GTI
Eww organ transport...I bet you could find a comparable deal with significantly less miles on one. Keep that one in mind and keep looking around

huskeR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 R32
Update, I just searched thru that site a little more, and it appears that they will not cover a car with an expired factory warranty (which at 80k, this one would be...)
I'd still call them anyway though, and see if there isn't something they can do for ya, they seemed really friendly when I called.

poonpower

Ready to race!
Thread revival

I thought all 08 rabbits were the models to come with the newer 2.5 engine, with the 170hp. does this one have a timing belt?

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
Thread revival

I thought all 08 rabbits were the models to come with the newer 2.5 engine, with the 170hp. does this one have a timing belt?

Yes it is the revised engine, and Rabbits never had a timing belt. Only the GTI with the FSI engine had a timing belt.

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
what are some of the things to look for with a rabbit that has 45k miles on it?
Model year 2008

Nothing really... my 07 has 39137 miles and not a problem. You should find out if it was tuned up though. The service schedule states the rabbit need to be tuned up at 40000 miles.

poonpower

Ready to race!
Ok, i've tracked down a few 08 rabbits. The thing is I dont know if the engine is the 150hp or the 170hp engine. What vin number or date should I be looking at?

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Thread revival

Not all rabbits. They had a half model year so everything 2005-2008 had a 150hp/170ft-lb engine. Then they updated some things and 2008.5-2009/10 ( im tired and too lazy to remember) they had the 170hp/177ft-lb engine.

BlackRabbit1313

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit S
If you know the dealer, I'd probably go for it if he's small time. But the 80k is what throws me. I got my 08 rabbit in January and its only got 54k.... But mine cost 12k.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion
Not all rabbits. They had a half model year so everything 2005-2008 had a 150hp/170ft-lb engine. Then they updated some things and 2008.5-2009/10 ( im tired and too lazy to remember) they had the 170hp/177ft-lb engine.

i bought mine in Dec of 07 and it has the 170hp engine.