GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge "Twincooler" FMIC revisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, I installed the Forge "Twincooler" FMIC. Overall, things went well, and I'm happy with the performance and quality of it. There where some minor issues as noted here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27003&highlight=forge

Special thanks to DigitalHippie and Mike@Forge for their help and invaluable advice.

One issue was the driver's side hose rubbing against the DSG tranny pan and kinking.

Last time, I trimmed the section to the stock IC only. Mike@Forge suggested that I also trim the hose portion to the Forge FMIC. So, this time, I trimmed the stock FMIC section a little more, and I also trimmed the connection to the Forge fmic. This pic shows how much hose was trimmed. Note that the hose trimmed was combined with the hose from last time. The one in the foreground is from the Forge FMIC, in the back is from the stock FMIC:

After the trimming, there was no more kinking, and the hose didn't sit against the DSG tranny.

Another issue was the passenger's side hose rubbing against the plastic pans:

DigitalHippie suggested that I trimmed the hose section to the stock FMIC. I did that, as well as trimming the hose section to the Forge FMIC. The front is from the Forge FMIC connection, the rear is from the stock FMIC connection.

No pics here, but I tried to trim as much as I could, and it helped somewhat. The hose still sits on the plastic undercarriage pan though a lot less.

The last issue was that the front bumper didn't fit on too well. DigitalHippie told me that it was because the relocated horn was interfering with the headlight washer cylinder. So I took a look, and sure enough, he was right. This is where Forge recommended to have the horn relocated in their install guide:

So, I relocated the horn to another location where there was already a bolt, and the bumper fits on good now:

One thing to note is that you can see it if you have the open fog light grille or if you removed the fog light grille alltogether:

Here's a pic of all the hose that I trimmed. I probably went a little overboard on some parts tho it still fit just fine:

Just to be clear, this thread is not meant as a criticism of Forge, I just wanted to share my experiences in the hopes that it'll help others. In addition to my MKV, I've used Forge products on my b5 in the past, and they make top notch stuff. I'd gladly buy their stuff again in a heartbeat.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
thanx for the update, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Car(s)
'06 GTI
Glad to hear you got the part around the DSG tranny pan worked out. That kink really bothered me.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
I've done some trimming to the hoses during installs of the kit before too, but never quite that much.

It's likely just due to some variances between one hose set and the next. They're made by hand, so some inconsistencies are surely possible, but let's remember that it's significantly better for them to be too long and require a bit of trimming than to be too short altogether!

Glad you got it fitting a little better though! :thumbsup:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
I've done some trimming to the hoses during installs of the kit before too, but never quite that much.

It's likely just due to some variances between one hose set and the next. They're made by hand, so some inconsistencies are surely possible, but let's remember that it's significantly better for them to be too long and require a bit of trimming than to be too short altogether!

Glad you got it fitting a little better though! :thumbsup:

yeah, i absolutely agree it's better to have more hose than needed. :thumbsup:

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Too long is always better than too short :wink:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I should add... in my experience, you can twist the relocated horn just the right way and it won't interfere with the bumper in the location forge had recommended. Granted, when I first did it on mine... I had the horn wires rubbing against the metal frame a little... well yeah, it shorted out my horn :laugh:

All good now :biggrin:

Thats what I did...I bent the horn a bit and it worked out fine.

But yeah the hoses do need a bit trimming to make it fit perfect.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Too long is always better than too short :wink:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I should add... in my experience, you can twist the relocated horn just the right way and it won't interfere with the bumper in the location forge had recommended. Granted, when I first did it on mine... I had the horn wires rubbing against the metal frame a little... well yeah, it shorted out my horn :laugh:

All good now :biggrin:

yeah, i was thinking about that, but rather than using trial and error on the horn location, i moved it into an open spot. plus this way, if someone else follows my it, then they should be ok...no need to try to fumble around with it to get it to the right angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.