GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge installed - includes my impressions as well as lots of pics

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, I installed the Forge Twincooler last weekend, overall I am really impressed with the product. I contacted Mike @ Forge, and their customer service is second to none. He even answered one of my PMs at 3 AM on Sunday morning. Overall, the car feels stronger in the upper rpms. Not a huge difference, but still very nice, especially in the hot weather. Feels like it would when driving when it's a lot cooler out. Also, I don't have an exhaust yet, so that may be a factor too.

I'd suggest that you use these instructions, which are supposed to be the latest ones. The one sent with the twincooler was an older version and left some stuff out. Mike sent me the link to the latest one:

http://forgemotorsport.com/media/FMINTMK5 Twintercooler Hot Climate ver2.pdf

Here are some of my issues/pointers that may help others in their install:
-The passenger's side of the bumper doesn't fit on very well. Two of the bolt holes don't line up either (see pic below). Mike said that the issue i'm having does not seem to be a common problem, so it could be something I messed up, so it could be unrelated to the Forge twincooler. I have to investigate this at a later time.

-I have the DSG, so the instructions above says to trim the hose to the stock fmic. I did that, but it still touches the DSG pan, and it's starting to kink, so i don't wanna cut it anymore. See pic below. Mike stated that it should be fine the way it is, and also suggested that i trim part of the hose that goes to the Forge twincooler. I might try this at another date.

-Horn relocation needs a 13mm socket, which is not mentioned in the Forge installation guide.

-A socket with an extension will make it easier to install the 4 bolts holding the Forge twincooler, though a regular torx drive will work too.

A few more pics

Pics of the parts (excl. hoses)

Pics of the core:

Minor cutting by the fog light grille:

Pic of the Forge Twincooler on:

You can see the forge logo on the hoses if you have the open fog light grilles:

Now, i don't want people to get the wrong impression, on my B5, there was A LOT more custom work required to get the FMIC to fit...had to customize the front bumper, and even then it required lots more trimming, and substantial modification to the bumper rail. The Forge FMIC is really very easy compared to that. Just some minor trimming of the hose, and some very minor bumper trimming. Pic of the FMIC on my b5, for reference:

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
You're going to love that Twincooler. I particularly like the very well explained, detailed instructions. I looked at the Eurojet ones and they had no pictures. Thumps up to Forge for a great product, easy install and great instructions.

I'm sure you haven't had a chance yet, but I'd like to know if you experience a noticeable boost drop. Can't wait to see your logs and graphs, you do a good job normally.

B

BLKSUNSHINE

X2.. I'm tossed between forge and Eurojet.. Please let us know if you experience any lag... I'm in the market for an IC soon.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
The term lag, as it's most commonly used in the world of turbochargers anyway, implies a delay of the full spooling of the turbo when the throttle is applied.

If this were to occur, full boost pressure would not be realized as soon as it otherwise would, thusly resulting in a loss of power until the turbo finally spools up and the boost and power curves catch up to where they otherwise should be.

As our intercooler shows absolutely NO loss of power, in fact, all of the dyno tests clearly show a increase in power throughout the entire power band, and no adverse changes to the boost curve, there is no "lag".

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/Forge_GolfV_twinic_v_stock.pdf
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/Forge_GTIV_twintercooler_v_stock_power.pdf
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/Forge_GTIV_twintercooler_v_stock_torque.pdf

As for the constant argument over pressure drop as well, everyone forgets that though there may be a given level of pressure drop across ANY heat exchanger, if the core's cooling efficiency is improved over the baseline, the charge air will be denser as well. The pressure drop, in relation to vehicle performance, is then easily negated by the added cooling efficiency and denser charge air.

Even then, our kit, installed, has only ever shown a 0.7 PSI pressure drop anyway. Extremely minimal in comparison to other large single core intercoolers with similar internal volumes.

As a rather crude analogy, because it's not entirely this simple, who needs 21 PSI when 20.3 PSI makes more power anyway because the charge pressure is cooler and denser?

There should be no debate over whether or not there is any "lag" or "too much" pressure drop when the system clearly works effectively and performs as advertised and everyone who has installed one is happy with it's performance.

JeepNGLI

Heart-ing Forge Since 06
Even then, our kit, installed, has only ever shown a 0.7 PSI pressure drop anyway. Extremely minimal in comparison to other large single core intercoolers with similar internal volumes.

As a rather crude analogy, because it's not entirely this simple, who needs 21 PSI when 20.3 PSI makes more power anyway because the charge pressure is cooler and denser?

Mike, I completely agree. The loss of at most 0.7psi when you're keeping your engine cooler is way worth it. And personally, I've only experienced about 0.4psi at most of a pressure drop.

Edited for misunderstanding

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
dumb question but does this IC use the factory DV? or do you have a Forge DV or some sort of BOV?

Though we obviously offer other DV related products, the DV on this application is bolted to the compressor cover of the turbo itself and has no connection to the intercooler nor its piping at all, neither stock nor with our kit installed.

EL_3grab

Beast from Middle East
It's nice to see your car in the instructions :biggrin: :biggrin:

dpham00

I've ended up trimming more hose to the stock fmic (trim > test > trim more > till you are satisfied). Be careful, the trim must be straight to line up with outlet of the stock fmic.

I'm happy to answer any further Q about the "Hot Climate instructions" install.

:thumbsup: to Forge

geee elll eyeee

I <3 UPS
I'm happy to answer any further Q about the "Hot Climate instructions" install.

:thumbsup: to Forge

What are "Hot Climate Instructions"?

Work in the shade? Drink plenty of water? Use a fan for added comfort? Dont touch a core thats been sitting in the sun?

No, but seriously:
:iono:

Claus Larsen

Seat Altea TFSI driver, wrong car for this place I know, but same great engine :smile:

Planning on a fmic too. The forge fmic seems like the one to go for, but one thing bothers me.

It is just adding more weight to the car. I know people will say that it is nothing, but it matters. A little bit of extra weight here and there and your few gained extra horsepower is lost.

I have "only" 17" wheels on the car even though 19" looks better, but 19" makes the car a lot slower compared to 17".

Don't know about the Golf, but the Seat Altea is 1375 kg ~ 3031 lbs. On 95 octone here in Denmark the TFSI produces around 200hp, on 98 a bit more, but lets just stick to the 200 hp.

1375 kg / 200 hp = 6,875 kg/hp

Now I don't know the extra weight that the forge fmic will add.
But let's say a fmic gives you 5 extra hp, but adds 10 kg, then the extra 5 hp is almost lost again.

1385 kg / 205 hp = 6,765 kg/hp

None of you guys see this as a problem?

regards,
Claus