GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge Blow Off Valve - which spring?

PBSmooth

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk5
Hi, just fitted the Forge Blow Off Valve, and it sounds awesome. It comes with 2 different springs that go in the valve. A blue one for regular boost, and a Yellow one for cars that are running higher boost. But it doesn't give any specks on amount of boost for which spring. I have the car APR stage 1 chipped, so its running at 250bph, and 300ft/lbs.
If I had a boost gauge then I could give some figures on that, but I don't want to do that mod right now.
So, anyone any ideas on wether I should use the regular blue srping or the high boost yellow spring?

Thanks

Paul

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Subd. I'd be curious to know more about which springs should be used when.

adamh49

Why not Zoidberg??
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I believe APR 1+ peak at 21 then hold at 15..
Valve Spring color coding
Green - 5-15 PSI
Yellow - 15-23 PSI
Blue - 23-30 PSI
Red - 30 + PSI
They should have included spacers also to tune individual spring pressure accordingly.. I dont know if I would hold off on a boost gauge much longer, thats the only way to know for sure..

PBSmooth

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk5
Thanks, I found the spring kit on the forge site. The valve came with the blue and yellow. Guess I just need to check what my boost really is and fit the right spring.
Here is the text from the Forge Site

Now you can fine tune your Blow Off/Diverter Valve to the exact needs of your engine with this complete tuning kit.

Your valve tuning kit you will find four springs and three spacers.

The strongest spring is the red, followed by the blue, yellow and finally the green which is the weakest. The spacers enable you to fine tune the settings between two spring tensions if required.

We normally supply our valves, unless requested differently, with a spring that will match the tension of the manufacturer’s original fitment valve. However, as many owners undertake tuning modifications some may wish to re-tune the valve characteristics to suit a given application.

If you are finding that the valve is dumping more than required or you are loosing boost pressure it is normally an indication that a stronger spring is required. Conversely if the valve is failing to dump it may be necessary to install a weaker spring. If during this tuning of your valve you are faced for example with the red spring being to strong and the blue spring to weak, you can add the spacers to the blue spring to increase the tension by small increments, thus achieving a setting between the red and blue springs.

Valve Spring color coding

Green - 5-15 PSI

Yellow - 15-23 PSI

Blue - 23-30 PSI

Red - 30 + PSI

The above figures are estimates only and should only be considered as a guideline

Please note - fitting a stronger spring into a valve will not increase boost pressure unless existing pressure is being lost. Failure to allow the valve to operate by installing a spring which is to strong may cause damage to the turbocharger.

Please note - the red coded springs should not be installed in the DVR or DV007 diaphragm valves

Cheers

Paul

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Paul, do you find that going with a lighter spring with a purely mechanical Forge DV can help reduce a mild overboost situation?

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
I asked Angel from Forge a while back and was told to use the Yello spring, even with K04.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door

Sicktred08fsi

Banned
Car(s)
K04`d B6
Mine came with 3 springs. The normal one in DV has to be replaced by yellow one.
From Message by Angel:
"I'd stick with the yellow at that level. The blue would likely make low boost situations more prone to chatter upon throttle lift. Even as high as 26 should be fine with the yellow."

vwbulla

Ready to race!
i am apr stage 2
front mount
3inch downpipe and 3 inch exhaust both apr
intake

which spring should i run? i have been using the yellow one..
my boost spikes at 20 and tempers of to like 13-14 psi

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Is that the spring they come with?

Afaik yes they come yellow spring unless otherwise stated. I run stock wga at approx 10psi cracking similar to this. The wga is a piston design from factory now not like older diaphram design.