GOLFMKV

Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang Comes to L.A. With Flat-Plane V-8

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Can someone tell me what the big deal is about the flat plane crank? :laugh:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Can someone tell me what the big deal is about the flat plane crank? :laugh:

-Will bring more music to your ears, it is louder.

-Will rev. higher & much quicker to the moon if you wish. Very benefitial for a car this big.

-More efficient, exhaust wise away better.

-Torque? it is up to the engineering department to give them a good amount, since traditionally they tend to put Lower numbers than the classic American V8, best example: Ferrari 458 engine.

Think about this way: They are creating a Pony car good enough to be competitive & comparable model against the European/ Asian counterparts.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Mkay well looks like some advantages and some disadvantages nothing earth shattering though. But I suppose this is like the whole "hemi" thing... a distinguishing feature.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
If Ford can take 700 lb off the F-150, surely they can get the Mustang down around 3,300-3,400

If Ford could design the Mustang GT to weigh in at 3300 lbs, I would be sold. That's what this generation was supposed to achieve, but oh well, water under the bridge.

It would be great to see this in the z28 territory.

Ford would be wise to design the suspension around a set of R-comps, similar to what Chevy did with the Z/28 (Trofeo R's and spool valve suspension).

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
This gen was not supposed to be lightweight. That was all rumor started by people with unrealistic goals. Cars today weigh more than older ones because largely of crash safety mandates. All those damn airbags weigh a lot.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
This gen was not supposed to be lightweight. That was all rumor started by people with unrealistic goals. Cars today weigh more than older ones because largely of crash safety mandates. All those damn airbags weigh a lot.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

There were multiple articles claiming to have info straight from Ford with very specific dimensional data.

There was no reason to believe they couldn't have made the car smaller and lighter and met modern safety regulations. The BRZ exists and is 1000 lbs lighter than a new Mustang with a similarly sized back seat and independent rear suspension :lol:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
inb4thenewF150isnotactuallylighter :laugh:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
There were multiple articles claiming to have info straight from Ford with very specific dimensional data.

There was no reason to believe they couldn't have made the car smaller and lighter and met modern safety regulations. The BRZ exists and is 1000 lbs lighter than a new Mustang with a similarly sized back seat and independent rear suspension :lol:

Lack of engineering/design given lightweight materials/composite/and aluminum abound and grow cheaper by the day. Ford do one thing well. Build boats either truck or Mustang doesnt matter.

Shit is just too big and useless at that. 500hp to commute to cars and coffee, and again, well out of the price range of the market the 'muscle' car appeals to. Its for aging 'boomers' and well "I had one in college at Yale" crowd given the absurd pricing to be released.

The comparo you make to the BRZ etc is spot on. The world is not muscle car heaven anymore. Id take smaller/lightweight and nimble, with good power/response any day for fun driving, rather than boat with a flat plane crankshaft and hp you simply cant use at all unless you track. These cars are an utter waste at 65mph on cruise. But damn look how good those Mach1 stripes look lol!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
looking at sales figures I think the Mustang being a pig and all outsells the BRZ 5 to 1. So given that both companies are in it to make money, Ford is somehow doing it "right" :laugh: I bet this was a calculated move... stretching this "all new" which IMO is bs chassis for another 5 -7 years until they really have to go lightweight.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

1) CLAIMED. Of course they "claim" the have it from Ford. That is how you create a buzz and get more traffic/sales.

2) BRZ has a wimpy 4 cyl, not a beefy V8. Lots of size goes into stuffing a V8 under the hood.

BRZ:
front headroom : 37.1,
rear headroom : 35.0,
front hip room : 54.5,
rear hip room : 51.7,
front leg room : 41.9,
rear leg room : 29.9,
front shoulder room : 54.5,
rear shoulder room : 51.7

Mustang:
Head Room - Front 37.6
Head Room - Rear 34.8
Hip Room - Front 54.9
Hip Room - Rear 47.4
Leg Room - Front 44.5
Leg Room - Rear 30.6
Shoulder Room - Front 56.3
Shoulder Room - Rear 52.2

Mustang is not supposed to be a lightweight car. That is not its intended purpose right now.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Lack of engineering/design given lightweight materials/composite/and aluminum abound and grow cheaper by the day. Ford do one thing well. Build boats either truck or Mustang doesnt matter.

Shit is just too big and useless at that. 500hp to commute to cars and coffee, and again, well out of the price range of the market the 'muscle' car appeals to. Its for aging 'boomers' and well "I had one in college at Yale" crowd given the absurd pricing to be released.

The comparo you make to the BRZ etc is spot on. The world is not muscle car heaven anymore. Id take smaller/lightweight and nimble, with good power/response any day for fun driving, rather than boat with a flat plane crankshaft and hp you simply cant use at all unless you track. These cars are an utter waste at 65mph on cruise. But damn look how good those Mach1 stripes look lol!

All of what you say is complete bias against Ford and the Mustang. It is not too big and useless. For you maybe, but not for the people who buy them. They love them. I would love one. The fact that you call it a boat is just ludicrous. A boat does not mean heavy, as I am sure that is what you mean. Describing something as a boat means it handles like one. Turn the wheel and the boat takes forever to respond.

Mustang GT is shown at 0.96g and a Subaru BRZ was tested at 0.89g.

A Mustang GT would destroy a BRZ on a track in any way shape or form. A Mustang handles as well as an M3.

I honestly do not get the Mustang hate. You guys are ridiculous sometimes.