GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Doubles Down on SUVs/Trucks

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
According to this, Ford is looking to stop selling anything but trucks and SUVs, except for Mustangs and the Focus Active. Yes, that means, if this is true, no Fiesta, no traditional Focus, no Fusion, nothing but utes and pick-ups.

Can't argue with the logic I guess, as the money points clearly in one direction, and it isn't traditional cars. But damn, this just makes me really want to figure out a way to actually buy the type of sedan I've always wanted before they go away for good. Well, none of the ones I want are Fords, anyhow, but other manufacturers are definitely leaning in this direction for North American sales.

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
According to this, Ford is looking to stop selling anything but trucks and SUVs, except for Mustangs and the Focus Active. Yes, that means, if this is true, no Fiesta, no traditional Focus, no Fusion, nothing but utes and pick-ups.

Can't argue with the logic I guess, as the money points clearly in one direction, and it isn't traditional cars. But damn, this just makes me really want to figure out a way to actually buy the type of sedan I've always wanted before they go away for good. Well, none of the ones I want are Fords, anyhow, but other manufacturers are definitely leaning in this direction for North American sales.

That’s crazy, I guess that’s what everyone wants. I hate driving SUVs. But I would rather drive an SUV than a mini van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, an Edge ST is, i suppose, a poor man's F-Pace or Macan, or something.

But yes, I loathe SUVs. They are nice and comfy inside, or can be, but I hate the exact things 90% of the American driving public wants--high seating, high ground clearance, total isolation from the road and the world, and as little actual vehicle operation as possible.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone else here read this as a company that is at the beginning of financial struggles and is trying to streamline to avoid more future losses, or am I the only one?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Definitely not true!

And according to which? Where is the source?

Front page of CNN/CNN Money; I linked the story above.

If it isn't true, it's a two-day running screw up on the part of the biggest news organization on the planet (which, I admit, is entirely possible!). But as others have said, it makes sense--Ford like other automakers focused on the NA market are finding that Americans simply do not want anything other than crossovers, SUVs, and trucks. Oh, and a few muscle cars, I guess.

Now, I'm guessing luxury car makers (the German three, the Asian up-scale brands) have more success with sedans, as the market for sedans is much stronger in that segment, but even there, look at where the energy is in future vehicles. Yeah, SUVs, crossovers, etc.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Great. More vehicles I can't see over or around when I'm parked at a stop sign trying to figure out if there's oncoming traffic with a huge hunk of metal blocking my view.

Can't wait for $5/gal gas to get 50% of them off the road. More satisfying would be after Ford goes to all trucks/SUV's

Disclaimer: our other car is a 3 row suv

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
Why?

SUVs suck in pretty much all ways. Worse than a car, worse than a minivan.

I agree about worse than a car, and I guess you are right...usually I think that at least SUVs have off-road capability but that’s not even true for today. Other than a handful of actual SUVs that off-road and are badass, most are bad on MPG, not practical and very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Front page of CNN/CNN Money; I linked the story above.

If it isn't true, it's a two-day running screw up on the part of the biggest news organization on the planet (which, I admit, is entirely possible!). But as others have said, it makes sense--Ford like other automakers focused on the NA market are finding that Americans simply do not want anything other than crossovers, SUVs, and trucks. Oh, and a few muscle cars, I guess.

Now, I'm guessing luxury car makers (the German three, the Asian up-scale brands) have more success with sedans, as the market for sedans is much stronger in that segment, but even there, look at where the energy is in future vehicles. Yeah, SUVs, crossovers, etc.

Ah I see it now. Didn't notice the tiny link the first time reading the OP. (Viewing on my phone)