GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Foolish to wait to see if we get a 25th edition?

brennok

Ready to race!
Hey guys I currently drive a 2004 PG 1.8T GLI and I have been debating on trading in for a 4 door GTI or possibly new GLI. After reading about the 30th AE with the bump in power, am I foolish to wait? Based off pass AE releases, does anyone know when word usually starts to leak on when or if we will be getting the car?

brennok

Ready to race!
Well there is always that lol. I just know I never keep my cars so I tend not to mod them. If anything I would consider chipping the new one since the dealer does Revo and supposedly they warranty everything still, but beyond that I doubt I would do much.

I think if I loved the new GLI as much as I did when I saw the MKIV version it wouldn't be a second thought, but the GLI just hasn't grown on me. Surprisingly the GTI has which I never would have considered before since it didn't have 4 doors. I just know when I test drove them both it didn't feel like that much of a jump up from my car to justify having a car payment again.

brennok

Ready to race!
Yeah I definitely love my GLI. I had a bad dealer experience back when I owned my 98 Jetta GLX VR6 and swore I would never come back to VW. Then I saw the GLI and fell in love again. I got a good deal on the car and never looked back.

If it wasn't for the daily bumper to bumper traffic from living next to a large college and issues with my knee I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it for a while.

brownbearGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
the dealer does REVO??! really? and it doesn't void the factory 4 yr., 50,000 mi warranty? which dealer is this? has anyone else heard of other dealers doing this?

brennok

Ready to race!
Yeah the dealer is Reeves. From everything I have read they are very mod friendly and have their own performance shop, which is where they do the Revo. Mind you I haven't tested the theory but as far as they say they cover the warranty since they can just reflash you if you have a problem. I believe they said it was around 525 for the chip.

bcze1

You people make me laugh
the dealer does REVO??! really? and it doesn't void the factory 4 yr., 50,000 mi warranty? which dealer is this? has anyone else heard of other dealers doing this?

Just b/c the dealer sells Revo in NO WAY implies that it won't affect your factory warranty. Your warranty is from VW, not the dealer. If you had a catastraupic engine failure, VW would likely send a regional rep out to diagnose the situation. As soon as he discovered you were chipped, forget about warranty repairs, that $$$ is coming out of your pocket. And he would very easily know you were chipped b/c your dealer has the record of it.

brennok

Ready to race!
Just b/c the dealer sells Revo in NO WAY implies that it won't affect your factory warranty. Your warranty is from VW, not the dealer. If you had a catastraupic engine failure, VW would likely send a regional rep out to diagnose the situation. As soon as he discovered you were chipped, forget about warranty repairs, that $$$ is coming out of your pocket. And he would very easily know you were chipped b/c your dealer has the record of it.

I completely understand your point which is why I have always been hesitant to do anything but couldn't the dealer simply reflash to stock removing any trace of the chipping? Like I said I have never chipped my car but it would seem in the best interest of the dealer since they were the ones who in fact sold it and installed it.

brownbearGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealer doesn't care if VW knows that they chipped ur car. They probably have a contract saying they aren't responsible, and their allegiances are going to lie with VW, they won't help you hide from the rep. what bcze1 is saying is that if u chip at the dealer, you're more screwed than if u chip at a different shop, because vw doesn't have access to any shop records other than the dealers. and you can hide it better if u go somewhere else

bcze1

You people make me laugh
what bcze1 is saying is that if u chip at the dealer, you're more screwed than if u chip at a different shop, because vw doesn't have access to any shop records other than the dealers. and you can hide it better if u go somewhere else

Exactly.

Yes, maybe a dealer could reflash you back to stock, but that doesn't change the fact you had the software. And why would they try to defraud VW? The dealers relationship with VW is infinitely more important than the one with one customer.

And yes some dealers are much more mod friendly than others. But people must differentiate their FACTORY warranty from the work their dealer performs. If a dealer thinks for a second they won't get paid by VW for work that may have been caused by mods, they'll either refuse to do the work or make you pay for it.

Hotty

For the joy of driving
I woudn't chip the current MkV GTI for the reasons mentioned already.

If an additional 30hp would mean the world for me, which it doesn't, then I would rather wait for the MkV GTI 30 which has, as far as I know, not only the desired extra 30hp, but also more heat resistant material etc., to deal with the increased heat generated by the increased power. I wouldn't have any problems with the warranty then!

Cheers,
Hotty

Boonedock82

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 MKV
If I were in your shoes I would deffinitly hold on to hear if a 25th AE comes. With the same internals as the S3 and all that is needed to get it to 300 hp is a tune I would deffinitly be willing to see if they come. That is if you are willing to dish out the money for it, as its going to be pricy if it does come, but it will also be a collector car so yeah!