GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Car

Corpse Party

Car(s)
MkV GTI
For my first car I'm getting the 2008 MK5 GTI. What are some major issues and some points in the car that I can improve upon using aftermarket. Would getting a GTI with over 61K miles be too much of a risk, or would that be fine? I saw on the cars website that this car was rated pretty highly on it's reliability so I was just wondering how much that held up. Would mean a lot to help me out thanks.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
It's fine as long as proper maintenance has been carried out. If you get a DSG, check if the service was done (every 60k I think and else do it immediately). There are few things to look out , like the cam follower of the high pressure fuel pump and the cam chain (opposite to the timing belt) but yours is still low miles so it's probably ok. Just check the cam follower.

Corpse Party

Car(s)
MkV GTI
It's fine as long as proper maintenance has been carried out. If you get a DSG, check if the service was done (every 60k I think and else do it immediately). There are few things to look out , like the cam follower of the high pressure fuel pump and the cam chain (opposite to the timing belt) but yours is still low miles so it's probably ok. Just check the cam follower.
Thanks! I'll do so. I saw on youtube that the timing belt was a major issue. Is that maintenance hard to do? and is it something I should worry about?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Its a '08 so is it FSI or TSI, manual or DSG. Any maintenance history on the low mileage GTI
For my first car I'm getting the 2008 MK5 GTI. What are some major issues and some points in the car that I can improve upon using aftermarket. Would getting a GTI with over 61K miles be too much of a risk, or would that be fine? I saw on the cars website that this car was rated pretty highly on it's reliability so I was just wondering how much that held up. Would mean a lot to help me out thanks.

Its a '08 so is it FSI or TSI, manual or DSG. Any maintenance history on the low mileage GTI?

Corpse Party

Car(s)
MkV GTI
Its a '08 so is it FSI or TSI, manual or DSG. Any maintenance history on the low mileage GTI

Its a '08 so is it FSI or TSI, manual or DSG. Any maintenance history on the low mileage GTI?
It's a TSI Manual. This car had 3 owners who didn't drive it much. Seemed like regular oil changes and stuff.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/gNC-zmqGXc3O6lQ_SwYzT5FM0pKkY6oXY5zWxpJXzg2abEKbnC85wcIHJW1ghf6XUuH4mNc30I3x4u-7PC8OnyK3FKkDhWMVDc4 . Florida is relatively hot and I was just worried the belt would've taken some wear and tear barley being driven down there in the heat yk.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Ok so TSI which means not timing belt but uses a chain and the early TSI had issues with the tensioner for the timing chain fail and bending valves etc. May want to have the tensioner checked and if old style have it replaced with newest version. There is a way to check by removing a small round cover on the chain cover and looking.

Make sure the Pcv is working as designed because if it fails it cause pressure in the crank case and will blowout seals and the rear main seals are weak and if it fails you will have to drop the trans to replace, but they do make an aftermarket housing and seal that is better.

May want to read this as a start https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/vw-audi-20t-tsi-common-problems.html