GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finishing my install

scGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Great thread. I want to do something like this eventually, although I have very little experience installing speakers and no experiencing installing amps. How long did it take you to complete everything? And did you drive your car at all during the install period or just leave it in the garage?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've done my own systems since high school so I have experience but every car is different. The mmost difficult part is figuring out the specifics of the car, how to get the panels off without breaking something, how to best run the wires, where to put the components. If I had everything I needed and an entire weekend free I might have been able to do it in one shot but I probably have a good 20-30hrs into it due to trial and error and the "engineering" aspect of figuring it all out. No reason why you can't drive the car during the insyall. I had the interior door panels off for about a week.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I've done my own systems since high school so I have experience but every car is different. The mmost difficult part is figuring out the specifics of the car, how to get the panels off without breaking something, how to best run the wires, where to put the components. If I had everything I needed and an entire weekend free I might have been able to do it in one shot but I probably have a good 20-30hrs into it due to trial and error and the "engineering" aspect of figuring it all out. No reason why you can't drive the car during the insyall. I had the interior door panels off for about a week.

ugh, now I'm having flashbacks of my install.
Sound........ Deadening...........
ugggggggggggh, what a MFer that was, results came out great though.
I have to say Thanks to you though, you have posted a TON of good information :clap:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I kept the deadening to a minimum and just did the inside of the front doors. I've had ambitions to take the outside door skins off and do them but just never got the motivation together to make it happen. I have a couple of minor buzzes to take care of but I'll probably wait till the cold dark winter.

Boilermaker

Great write-up.

I've done some fairly intensive Google searches but haven't had any luck locating that PnP adapter you used. Where did you snag yours? I'd rather not splice together two harnesses if I can help it...

Thanks!

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
building your own harness isnt that big of a deal, just do one wire at a time, and properly secure the wires together and use some shrink wrap

phatz314

Hey, registered here just to bump this thread because I found it in a google search. I'm also considering an ID Q 10 in an audio integrations box in my mk6. (I've heard that these boxes also fit the mk6, anyhow.)

First of all, this is really an incredibly informative thread, and I really appreciate your taking the time to document your install. It really will save me a lot of time and aggravation :w00t:

Here's my question -- would the ID Q 10 fit in this box simply by enlarging the mounting hole? Or do you also need the 1" space because of the mounting depth? All things being equal, I'd prefer to simply increase the size of mounting hole -- it would be a bit cleaner for one, plus ID recommends a sealed box on the smaller side, whereas this box is already on the high side, and the 1" spacer just makes the box bigger. In fact, I'd love to modify it somehow to do a flush mount, for a cleaner look and a box nearer the sweet spot.

I wonder if your observation that this sub seemed a lot louder than you expected is because your box + the spacer (+ the polyfill) = a box that is too big?*

*disclaimer: I am a n00b to audio installs.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Naw - it's not too big. ID suggests .5-1.1 cubes with .9 being "ideal". The 10" Audio Integrations enclosure is about .75 cubes and a 1" spacer ring only adds about .05 cubes. So a little poly fill brings it right about perfect for the IDQ10. You could widen the mounting hole a bit or ask them to cut it to the right diameter but I'm not sure on the mounting depth...it's close though.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
Not sure if you have it but... do you have the OEM bluetooth harness that goes under your passenger seat?
Any way you can trace the colors/wires and get a pinout of what goes where?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
No Bluetooth.

phatz - I've had the Fi SSD10 in a small sealed enclosure and the IDQ10 blows it away in the Audio Integrations enclosure off the same amp (PDX5). I highly recommend the IDQ.

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
If those crossovers are 3way, then why are there 2 in each door?

Otherwise real nice work. Planning my own 4-door audio installation over here.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's just how Rainbow built them. First feeds the woofer and second feeds the mid and tweeter. It's not an uncommon arrangement for 3-way systems actually.