GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finishing my install

jhedlind

Mounting Depth

What is the top mounting depth of those Rainbow 8" drivers?

What is the maximum top mounting depth in the front doors of a 4-door without serious modification of the door and door panel. Minor mods okay.

What is this maxmum top mounting depth in the rear doors?

Thanks,
Jeremy

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Don't know how deep the Rainbow 8" driver is but it isn't very deep. The front door locations have plenty of room for about whatever you want to drop in there. No idea about the rear doors.

From the Rainbow web site:

IQ 320.25 Front - VW Golf 5

For the car audio enthusiast wishing for the perfect audio experience without a lot of trouble and inconvenience, the IQ Line component systems are just the right choice.

IQ Line speakers promise the right sound for when you're on the move - and they keep their word. The speakers are acoustically tuned for optimal performance and fit perfectly - to the millimeter - in most standard automobiles. You can easily install them yourself with just some basic mechanical and technical knowledge. And, if you later decide to sell your car and prefer to hang on to your Rainbow IQ Line speakers, you can remove them easily without leaving behind any traces. All IQ Line components are precisely dimensioned for specific car models in order to provide the most finely tuned acoustics for each model, making IQ Line the most intelligent solution.

For drivers leasing their cars the decision virtually makes itself; speakers have to fit exactly or not at all. Since this model-specific adaptation is only mechanical and optical in nature, IQ Line systems bring the same uncompromising sound quality as Rainbow's universal systems. Perfect sound is ensured thanks to car-specific acoustic tuning. This is achieved through separate crossovers on the left and right to precisely balance the phase and level of the different axes from the mid-ranges and tweeters installed in the original factory locations.

3-Way Component system 8 inch Woofer, Maximum 180 Watt Part number: 231403 Factory location: Front door, Dashboard, Mirror Triangle Also for use with VW Golf 5 Plus.

jhedlind

I want to put Kicker CompVT 6.5" subwoofers in there. 2 7/8" top mount depth. I know I will need to build a custom standoff, but I am not sure if they will fit. I also have to consider the xmax of the woofer.

I want to do this without installing a sub in the hatch area.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Subs in the front door will only work as subs if you build them sealed air space...they need an enclosure and simply using the door cavity won't work because it isn't sealed. You can get decent bass response from woofers in the doors but don't expect anything to perform like a sub. Best bet is to go with an Uber-stealth false floor or the new Audio Integrations 8" side-mount.

The factory amp is under the driver seat. Sat radio tuner is under the passenger seat. Plenty of room under both seats for many Class D amps like the Arc Minis and Apline PDX series.

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
Clean install, what are your impressions of the setup?

jhedlind

The CompVT subs are designed to work in a free air environment. I did a similar system in an old Chevy truck with Kicker 6x9 drivers that were built in the same style as the old (97-99) Kicker Solobaric woofers. The doors were the only option because it had no room behind or underneath the seat. With 150 watts RMS running to each one it was more bass than was required. That is all I am seeking for my install. Bass fill. Lexus, Lincoln, and Infiniti often use a similar free air by mounting a subwoofer in the rear deck.

My car definitely does not have an amp under the drivers seat. I believe that I have the premium sound system because it has the ipod dock and the satellite radio option. I also believe that the "premium sound" has a different looking head unit from the basic system. Maybe I am wrong and I don't have the premium sound. Does the premium sound system absolutely include an outboard amp? I don't have the original window sticker because I bought the car as a CPO. It's a MY09

I have decided, since it's a hassle to try and piece together a three way component set from the current kicker line I am just going to put Dynaudio 342's in the front and rear doors. I just have to figure out a place to put that rear door tweeter without crowding out the front sound stage.

I plan to drive it with an Alpine PDX 4.150 under the drivers seat and a Rockford Fosgate 360.2 under the passenger seat. I am swapping the factory head unit for the RNS-510 model and changing the ipod dock for the MDI with ipod cable. I like the factory look and I like having steering wheel controls. I don't use the satellite radio. I did have the factory bluetooth option installed and it works like crap with the current head unit.

Does anyone know where I can get a good price on the MDI kit? The dealer wants $377. That happens to be the best price I have found so far. I want the kit that goes in the console and not in the glovebox. The one with the part # ending with an A. I have tried some of the websites suggested in this forum, but the only one I found with the correct part was oemparts.com and it was $399 plus shipping.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Sat radio is an option as well as the iPod doc...neither requires the Premium system AFAIK.

What processor are you going to run and where are you mounting it? You'll need to pass a pre-amp level signal to those amps.

jhedlind

Rockford Fosgate 360.2 is the LOC/Processor I am planning to use. I am going to try and put it under the dash. If it won't fit, I will remove the sat radio and put in under the passenger seat.

jhedlind

I went to the dealer tonight. I spoke with the service manager, the shop foreman, and the VW technical adviser working there.

I DO have the premium radio option installed in my vehicle. There is no outboard amp offered in any of the three configurations for the 2009 GTI. Premium Radio option is necessary for both the IPOD dock and the satellite radio.

The Dynaudio system has a Dynaudio amp in the 2010 model, but I do not know if the DynAudio upgrade was offered for 2009.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Ah...must be a 2009 only thing. So what is "premium" about the same old system...the Sat and iPod?

jhedlind

The basic radio does not have 6-disc in dash changer. The basic radio cannot have the satellite radio installed. It also looks different. The premium radio looks similar to the RNS-510 but the basic radio looks different from both.

Other than that, I don't know. I didn't study the wiring diagrams in detail. But the shop foreman had the "self-study" manual showing all the head units with all the possible wiring configurations.

I did find out I could add an external 6-disc changer to the unit. Completely unnecessary when you have 6-disc in-dash unit. But, I believe the RNS-510 is not an in-dash 6 disc. Doubtful that you would really need it with 20gb of space for media to play though.

Where did you buy your RNS-510?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
6 in the dash was nice to have but 20 gigs and a SD card slot is way better. Only problem is that it's been a little tedious transferring music to the HDD via DVD or SD card. Sure would be nice if it had wifi or BT and could link to my home network and grab files directly from my NAS. Also, 20GB doesn't go as far as you'd like. especially if your digital files are at high sample rates. Most of my mp3 files are typically in the 192-320kbs range and 160kbs is the min I'll bother with if I can't find anything better.

I picked up RNS up locally from a guy who apparently has a connection to a dealer and gets them as pulls from new cars. Not sure how but it came with a Nav DVD and unlock code. I'm 98% sure it's a legit (not stolen) unit.

Benjamin T

Go Kart Champion
hm,

i bought my rns510 from dna007 in the FS section, and the maps were preloaded (i didn't get a disc?)...

just wondering but why would they pull these units from the new cars? are they sticking in basic HUs and trying to dealer-option the rns510?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks to the tropical storm I got the day off work and decided to take advantage of the free time to install my new Audio Integrations side-mount enclosure. Unfortunately I ran into a snag fitting my sub. I have an Fi SSD10 and it has a fairly beefy cast frame with big ribs. I didn't remember until after I took it out of the current enclosure that I had to do some modifications to make it fit.

Here's the sub

And here's what I had to do to my previous enclosure. You'll see I had to cut clearances for each of the ribs to let the sub drop completely into the mounting hole. Second picture shows the sub sitting in the new enclosure.

So I have 2 options. I can do the same mods to the new enclosure which is a bit of work and I can't do it today because I don't want to make a mess in my garage. Or, I can order a new sub. I've been thinking about an Image Dynamics IDQ anyway so I'm leaning that direction. Only issue with that is time and money but I'll probably do it anyway.

On a positive note, the enclosure is a fantastic fit and I think I'm going to be really happy once I get a sub in it. I highly recommend this enclosure to anyone looking for a space saving 10" with great fit and quality. I picked mine up at the introductory price but even and regular price I'd say it's well worth it.

Before

After...or between :)