GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finishing my install

JaySki

Ready to race!
I have the Wiring harness on it's way.. Hit a few little snags with dealing with him as he is in Canada.. I think from calling around.. he is the only person left with them as you stated...

My Rainbows just delivered today.. My Kenwood Excelon XR-4S arrived.. Audio Integrations has shipped my 8" JL Audio Sub and Enclosure...
Waiting on The JL Audio Amp, LOC, wiring, etc to be delivered. Dynamat is already waiting in the garage. I'll try and Document my process.. It's going to be a long one.
I know the SAT Receiver under the Passenger seat is going away...
Since stated above that it isn;t an AMP under the driver seat in the 09's .. What is it? Off hand?

plac

GTI Master
I went to the dealer tonight. I spoke with the service manager, the shop foreman, and the VW technical adviser working there.

I DO have the premium radio option installed in my vehicle. There is no outboard amp offered in any of the three configurations for the 2009 GTI. Premium Radio option is necessary for both the IPOD dock and the satellite radio.

The Dynaudio system has a Dynaudio amp in the 2010 model, but I do not know if the DynAudio upgrade was offered for 2009.

eh?? then i suppose i have "premium" also... my 2009 has ipod dock and satellite.. but no oem amp under seat..

plac

GTI Master

real nice looking enclosure. just wish those things sounded as good as my space-waster box.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What makes you think it doesn't?

plac

GTI Master
cuz i had the nik brewer box already with the same sub. pretty similar boxes.. and directional is most important. my rear facing boxes have always sounded best in any car i've had.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Look what Brown brought me today :happyanim:

Now I'm just waiting on my mounting ring. The IDQ is slightly oversized with a 9.6" mounting diameter. I've got a 1" thick ring on the way but may not get here before I take off for X-mas vacation for a week.

WHOA, two months and still working on this thing? I never did see anything about your impression of the Rainbows with the amp hooked up. Pretty much the same setup that I am planning. The blue dot harnesses are a little easier to come by here. But after seeing the link posted, it only makes sense to make my own. There is a way to stream music from you home computer. Use a program called simplify media through the iphone. Not sure how many spots over there get a 3GS connection though.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I've been running my Fi SSD10 so there isn't any push to make progress. I've been waiting on the spacer ring for the IDQ for a couple weeks now. The holidays delayed the order but it should be here in the next couple of days and I'll be able to get the IDQ and new enclosure up an running next weekend.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
UPDATE!!!

After some confusion on my order and the holidays slowing things down I finally got my 1" thick spacer ring and it was just what I needed. It fit almost perfectly in the cut-out and was the exact OD of the IDQ. I prepped and painted it United Grey, which kind of matches the cosmetic panel on the enclosure. I'll probably repaint the panel UG as well. I stripped the carpet where the ring mounts to the enclosure and screwed/glued it in place then pre-drilled for the sub.

Here's a shot of the enclosure installed, ready to wire up the sub.

The clearance of the terminals on the cut-out of the enclosure are really tight. So much so that I has to do a little creative wiring to keep the speaker wire from getting in the way.

Here's everything ready to mount.

And the final product.

I've only had about 30min of listening so far but the IDQ definitely has a punchier impact compared to the Fi. I don't know if it's the sub or the new configuration (firing across the hatch), but the output is bordering on overpowering right now. I haven't changed any settings or levels yet but I will likely dial the sub level back on the amp. I've got a 3hr drive tomorrow morning so I'll have a chance to throw a variety of tunes at it.

Redcloud

Ready to race!
UPDATE!!!

After some confusion on my order and the holidays slowing things down I finally got my 1" thick spacer ring and it was just what I needed. It fit almost perfectly in the cut-out and was the exact OD of the IDQ. I prepped and painted it United Grey, which kind of matches the cosmetic panel on the enclosure. I'll probably repaint the panel UG as well. I stripped the carpet where the ring mounts to the enclosure and screwed/glued it in place then pre-drilled for the sub.

Here's a shot of the enclosure installed, ready to wire up the sub.

The clearance of the terminals on the cut-out of the enclosure are really tight. So much so that I has to do a little creative wiring to keep the speaker wire from getting in the way.

Here's everything ready to mount.

And the final product.

I've only had about 30min of listening so far but the IDQ definitely has a punchier impact compared to the Fi. I don't know if it's the sub or the new configuration (firing across the hatch), but the output is bordering on overpowering right now. I haven't changed any settings or levels yet but I will likely dial the sub level back on the amp. I've got a 3hr drive tomorrow morning so I'll have a chance to throw a variety of tunes at it.

I used to feel like my 10w6 in the stealth box was overpowering as well. With my setup I set the crossovers at 63 hz to get a better blend (I also upgraded to a monster 2 channel up front). That way the sub is only playing the lower notes.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just spent 3hrs driving. I'm really impressed with this sub. It's extremely musical and very tight but can also out-thump the Fi if I want it to. On stuff like 311, Sublime, LL Cool J, and Eazy E it's a little overpowering, particularly at lower and moderate listening levels. Cranked up it can pound. With more mellow tunes like Phish, DMB, and John Mayer I'd call it a bit unbalanced. The only thing that I felt was right about perfect was Foo Fighters. It brought back the sharp kick I had in my last car with the Fi that I seemed to lose when I swapped the gear over to the GTI. Still, with other people in the car I'd probably want to take the edge off a little. I'm running my bass flat on the RNS510 and I'd prefer not to toy with the overall system tone settings. I haven't used the remote level control for the sub channel of my Audio Control unit because it slightly attenuates simply by plugging it in set to max. I'm going to try it again before I mess with the sub amp level. I've got a feeling it will bring things almost exactly where I want them and also give me a little flexibility from the dash depending on what I'm listening to.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Slight click when the amp powers up...yes. It's not a big deal to me so I don't plan on screwing with it. I might switch amps in the spring/summer and that might take care of it.