GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally got to redo rear door cards

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I just finished doing my rear door cards. It was pretty tedious. The door cards are sonic welded together which means you need to cut the door panels apart if you want to get a good finished product.

I've seen some diys that show them grinding the welds apart. I did that in two spots and switched to a razor knife. The razor knife was twenty times faster and cleaner.
uploadfromtaptalk1411332608752.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411332622704.jpg

You'll have to cut the speaker out to be able to put the cloth on the panel. You will need to scrape off all the old foam. This crap gets every where so wear clothes you don't want. After all the scraping clean the board with denatured alcohol.

You will need the correct spray glue. I used the professional glue. I bought the glue and material at a local trim and upholstery shop. Apply the glue to the board and material and give it ten minutes to tack up.

Stretching the material is a pain so take your time. Once wrapped I let the panel cure overnight. The next day I trimmed the fabric and reinstalled the speaker with epoxy. Let the cure and then clamped the panel to the door with various clamps.

To reassemble the door I used 3M EZ sand epoxy. Let it cure for a couple hours and your ready to put the panel back on.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Nice job. Were your doors messed up or you just wanted to upgrade?

Viru5

Ready to race!
Very well done should have took before n after

defense05

Ready to race!
Duuude... Can I pay you to do my door cards and headliner? Ha, I really don't want to do it myself.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Duuude... Can I pay you to do my door cards and headliner? Ha, I really don't want to do it myself.
I still need to do my front doors. The driver side door has me a little worried. So before I say yes Let me do the driver and see how it goes. I'd hate to use your door as a guinea pig. :yikes:

kostaki

Door Panel

I redid my door panels too on my 2009 GTI 2 Door about a week ago. However I wish I broke the welds to remove the door card because the results could have been better. It is a lot more difficult to do so without removing it. I wish I came across this thread before. I didn't know this community and thread existed :thumbup:

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 354
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    501 KB · Views: 355
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 399
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg