GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Filling out my garage... What would you do?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Three car garage. ~80-100k budget, but can trade in the R. Need a DD (Boston, so it will see snow... And potholes... And stop and go traffic) that can handle school dropoff duty, and something I can autocross/track. They can be the same car!

Current:
2015 Subaru Outback - wife's car, she doesn't want to replace it, so it stays.
2017 Golf R - mildly track modded (stg1, Ohlins, sways, etc.)

I'm trying to decide between keeping the R (and putting it back to stockish) and buying a 2 door toy (M2 comp, ~2016ish cayman S, etc.), Or just going super sedan (m3 comp, ct4-V blackwing, etc) and maybe getting rid of the R.

What cars would you be looking at? 2 cars or 3?

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Three car garage. ~80-100k budget, but can trade in the R. Need a DD (Boston, so it will see snow... And potholes... And stop and go traffic) that can handle school dropoff duty, and something I can autocross/track. They can be the same car!

Current:
2015 Subaru Outback - wife's car, she doesn't want to replace it, so it stays.
2017 Golf R - mildly track modded (stg1, Ohlins, sways, etc.)

I'm trying to decide between keeping the R (and putting it back to stockish) and buying a 2 door toy (M2 comp, ~2016ish cayman S, etc.), Or just going super sedan (m3 comp, ct4-V blackwing, etc) and maybe getting rid of the R.

What cars would you be looking at? 2 cars or 3?
Funny, I shopped the CT4-BW before settling on the Mk8 R. The CT4-V isn't any quicker than the R, which was a bit of a surprise, although I'd assume that tuning will have more upside on the BW, although the market will be larger for the R, so maybe that's not true. The lack of utility of a sedan also kind of kills it for me.

My goal with the R is pretty similar to yours, daily, kid hauling, nothing precious. I plan on adding a track/weekend toy though, currently either a Caterham, Ariel or possibly ND Miata. I've had a number of M Cars and they're just so heavy and brutish compared to lighter cars. They're faster, but I'm not getting paid to do HPDE events, I just want to have fun and work on my skillset. I also feel like making my dd a track capable car is an impossible balancing act between track worthy and reasonably comfortable and there's no car that can really do both successfully, so I'd rather have one car for each purpose.

Why not keep what you have and add something fun as a track or weekend car? This is also my nice way of saying a fwd based car with the engine in front of the shock mounts is just never going to be a great track car.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Assuming the garage will have sufficient space for other stuff (lawn mower, tools, bikes, stuff, etc...) I vote for take R back to stock for DD duty and get a 3rd car.
this....the R is a great all-rounder car. Go for a fun raw toy (or if you want a truck) I'm thinking more toy because the both the Outback & R will haul many large items.

I have GTI, 06 Taco, and my fun car (pics for clicks)

IMG_20211003_152040738.jpg

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
this....the R is a great all-rounder car. Go for a fun raw toy (or if you want a truck) I'm thinking more toy because the both the Outback & R will haul many large items.

I have GTI, 06 Taco, and my fun car (pics for clicks)

View attachment 247083

Love your Comet. (y) I had a 65 Comet Cyclone with a 271HP 289 that I bought in 1969. It was ages ago & was forgotten until I saw yours.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Tracking equals more wear and tear. Better that your track car is not your daily. Have had to rent a car for a couple of months last time waiting for parts and now here i am again, although this time just going to buy a cheapish beater to drive whenever the Golf is on the sidelines.

In an ideal world, would have kept it close to stock and modded the hell out of a Miata, BRZ, or Cayman

jmg

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI, G82 M4
I'm a multiple car kind of guy with a 3 car garage. Currently I have a 2022 M4 Competition as a track car, Atlas SEL 4 Motion as the family car, a Honda Civic as a beater and loaner for extended family, and I had a BWW i3 as my daily. I recently got rid of it and now I'm searching for a MK7.5 GTI as a daily and part time track/autocross toy. Other considerations are a used BMW X3 M40i which is super fast yet still very practical or a Porsche Macan S for the same reasons. A used Macan S is cheaper than the BMW X3 M40i however, but you get the P badge. The X3 is nicer inside and out though.

I do like your Cayman S idea as a track car.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm a multiple car kind of guy with a 3 car garage. Currently I have a 2022 M4 Competition as a track car, Atlas SEL 4 Motion as the family car, a Honda Civic as a beater and loaner for extended family, and I had a BWW i3 as my daily. I recently got rid of it and now I'm searching for a MK7.5 GTI as a daily and part time track/autocross toy. Other considerations are a used BMW X3 M40i which is super fast yet still very practical or a Porsche Macan S for the same reasons. A used Macan S is cheaper than the BMW X3 M40i however, but you get the P badge. The X3 is nicer inside and out though.

I do like your Cayman S idea as a track car.
Want a white manual SE with cloth and 41k miles? Never tuned.