GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feeler: Unibrace XB

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
These things are great!! If you want to reduce chassis flex, this is an important part. When installing, it's very recommend to use the nut insert tool. The shop that installed mine did it incorrectly and now I need to order new nut inserts to take out that wonderful creaking sound.

These things are great!! If you want to reduce chassis flex, this is an important part. When installing, it's very recommend to use the nut insert tool. The shop that installed mine did it incorrectly and now I need to order new nut inserts to take out that wonderful creaking sound.

Tricky install in a mk5 but not *too tricky. it just sits a lot lower in a mk4, mostly.

i have a bunch of extra m8 nutserts but it should be possible for people to find them locally, unless they live in the sticks.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The hardest part is drilling the holes perfectly center. I would recommend a punch.

The hardest part is drilling the holes perfectly center. I would recommend a punch.

That, and either both of the upper ones will be a tricky fit, or one of them will be a REALLY tricky fit. There isn't a lot of room for error.

Measure twice, or three or four times, do the center punch thing on both sides, get one nutsert and bolt in, mount the brace, and then use the brace as a drilling guide for the other three. That way at least you get it mounted even if it's not perfect.

in my car, the upper driver side went in ok, and then, oops, the passenger side, a bit not quite right. I had to dent the next layer of steel under the layer you mount it to, just to get the nutsert in. it's never good to be putting a hammer and punch to your body work.

And yes, these are a great way to stiffen up the body.

Some day I'd like to replace my hand made under-body brace with a UB, just because it's lighter and neater.

The stern re-bar works just as well as the RB, and is cheaper, provided your exhaust system will actually clear it. In my case, it does.