GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Faulty Sunroof, no longer opens or closes

DASVW

Car(s)
Mk5 R32
I have a mk5 golf with a factory fitted sunroof which I have recently discovered no longer opens or closes by the overhead switch.
I have removed the switch, pulled it apart and cleaned it internally but still no go.
Have also checked the fuse which appears to be in tact.

Could anyone throw any suggestions at me on how to go about fault finding this problem please?

If anyone has a wiring diagram for the sunroof that they could send me, that would help a lot also.

Thank you so much
Darren.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
I remember there being a manual crank screw to close/open it. You can try that first and depending on the resistance, you'll know right away if it's gummed up. More than likely the sunroof will need to be swapped out. It's not too crazy of a job.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I have a mk5 golf with a factory fitted sunroof which I have recently discovered no longer opens or closes by the overhead switch.
I have removed the switch, pulled it apart and cleaned it internally but still no go.
Have also checked the fuse which appears to be in tact.

Could anyone throw any suggestions at me on how to go about fault finding this problem please?

If anyone has a wiring diagram for the sunroof that they could send me, that would help a lot also.

Thank you so much
Darren.
What was the fuse that you checked SC33? You can check for power at pin T6c/4 and ground at T6c/1 on the power sunroof module. If you have a quality scan tool use it to see if you pull any dtc related to roof and maybe you can do an output test for sunroof function but I am not sure if this is available.

DASVW

Car(s)
Mk5 R32
What was the fuse that you checked SC33? You can check for power at pin T6c/4 and ground at T6c/1 on the power sunroof module. If you have a quality scan tool use it to see if you pull any dtc related to roof and maybe you can do an output test for sunroof function but I am not sure if this is available.
Yes fuse SC33.
I have a Ross tech unit but have not delved to deeply into manually trying to open roof using the tool.
Unfortunately, the Ross Tech did not show any roof errors in the self diagnostics testing, so I am going to have to dive deeper into the coding to look for a possible fault.
Currently at home getting over a case of Covid, will check into this when I am feeling better.
The 2 locations you mention, are they located under the roof lining to the back of the sunroof?
thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited:

DASVW

Car(s)
Mk5 R32
Thank you for this suggestion, I don’t believe my sunroof has seized, but this is a great suggestion for me to try to eliminate the possibility that it may have seized.

checked sunroof with a 4mm Allen key. The sunroof moves when manually cranked with an Allen key.

Last edited:
did you try resetting the switch? Once you have made sure that it is manually closed all the way push the arrow only and hold for a few seconds.
And once it does go, use white lithium grease on the weatherstrip seals. Get the tube. Not aresol.