GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fattest 17 inch wheels

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
What's the widest 17 inch wheel that will fit on our cars without resorting to folding guards etc? My car has coilovers and is low. The objective is to get as much grrrrip as I can for the Australian Tarmac Challenge at Lang Lang.

I'm in the street class so can't use R compound tyres but was thinking a 235 or even 245 tyres if possible with Kumho KU36s. Opinion is divided as to whether the KU36s are R compound.

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
KU36s shouldn't be considered an R spec tyre.

I ran 235s on mine and never had any problems with rubbing on the guards or anything (just do the fender screw mod thingy).

Blitzen

Professional .....
235/45 on stock Goals fit without a proble. If you have an 8 inch wheel 245/40 probably fit (depending on the ET) and with camber even 255 (Dan GSR had that set up before he changed to 18 inch with 255.

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
So for you guys that have run 235s on the 7.5 inch rims and driven with intent ie track, how do they stand up. Do they squirm around too much or feel loose? How did yours go during the Dutton Nick?

Blitzen

Professional .....
I've even read about someone using 245/40 on a 7.5 on the track.

(I use my 235 only on the road)

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
So for you guys that have run 235s on the 7.5 inch rims and driven with intent ie track, how do they stand up. Do they squirm around too much or feel loose? How did yours go during the Dutton Nick?

No problems at all with the 235s. I'd use them again for sure.

I actually had 225s on during the Dutton but they were R compound.