GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fat Bastards - Weight Watchers Thread

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I woke up one day and decided I didn't like him freeriding. Threw his ass off in 5 months.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i know that feeling^. I had lost 115lbs at one time, it was quite incredible to say the least.

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
This thread will probably die a slow and painful death but whatever.

I'm really excited about this. The wife and I joined weight watchers last Monday.

My wife and I went on WW 4 years ago. When we did, we realized it was more of a lifestyle change and not a diet. We do cheat, and then we are good and lose whatever we gained when we cheat. After 4 years, I have kept off the the 28# I lost on the program. GL.

McQueen77

Banned
No that's because you weigh 155lbs. LOL How do you want to be 140? That is pretty small man, how tall are you?

im 145, but im only 5'8".. also do about 20 miles a week cardio so that probably helps. i used to be about 20lbs overweight and was pushing 165. for my height that is insane. i basically started a pretty diligent exercise program 10 years ago along with mainly controlling portion size (this is KEY) vs. being totally anal about what I eat and Ive maintained an ideal weight ever since. my wife, my then girlfriend, convinced to join a gym with her and while I loathe the gym culture and environment, it changed my life. I exercise 6 days a week, either at the gym or around the neighborhood. Anyone who thinks that exercise doesn't fit into the weight loss/health equation is kidding themselves.

Last edited:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I exercise 6 days a week, either at the gym or around the neighborhood. Anyone who thinks that exercise doesn't fit into the weight loss/health equation is kidding themselves.

I contend that exercise has much more to do with health than with weight loss. It takes a SERIOUS amount of exercise to burn a significant amount of calories. Running 5k per day only burns 200-300 calories. I run for health reasons, I diet to lose weight.

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I contend that exercise has much more to do with health than with weight loss. It takes a SERIOUS amount of exercise to burn a significant amount of calories. Running 5k per day only burns 200-300 calories. I run for health reasons, I diet to lose weight.

True, but in all honesty a balance between the two must be made. Eating a ton of food but doing exercise will keep you the same weight, so food must be kept down while exercise must be down to make sure it is down.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
running a 5k only burns 200-300 calories?? seems quite low, should be at least 500-900, I'd guess.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
running a 5k only burns 200-300 calories?? seems quite low, should be at least 500-900, I'd guess.

Yeah I'm pretty sure its more than 200-300. That is really low. I've read before that losing weight/gaining muscle is 70% diet and 30% exercise.

P

plac

umm ya.. a 5k could burn 900 calories if you had a constant speed of 8-10mph.... i run 6-7mph average.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Yeah...even an hour straight on an elliptical only burns between 600 - 800 calories, depending on intensity. Weight training is even less. That being said, the more muscle mass you gain, the more calories you need to simply feed your body the fuel it needs. Raising your caloric needs and metabolism while maintaining a healthy and controlled diet is a critical combination.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
If that. The better shape you're in the less calories you'll burn. The worse shape you're in, the more you burn.

That said it's a cycle you have to keep running. When you cut calories your body has to replace sugars in your muscles with the sugar from your blood. With water and sleep your body will convert stored fat back into blood sugar. Those 300 calories don't sound like much but if you ate 1500 calories and burned 2000 during the day and 300 more from exercise that's a 800 calorie margin versus 500 (a 60% increase). It's the staying below 1500 calories part that people find tougher than exercise.

Dieters also have this fear of carbs. Carbs don't hurt you, unburned carbs are what hurts. If you're exercising 5 times per week then bread and pasta not only don't hurt you but are most likely a big benefit in keeping you going. It's fat, which is nothing more than densely stored carbs, that hurts you. Your body, when losing weight, treats fat intake like girls treat diamonds. OMG I WANT IT, GIMME MORE! Your body sends it straight to your love handles without breaking it down.

Don't pay attention to anyone who says things like "avocados and olive oil are good fats!" There are two types of fats: fat and worse fat. It's like saying a fender bender is a good accident because it doesn't cause much damage. It's still a car accident, just not a fatal one. Any benefits your get from "good lipids" will be present in a lot of the other food you eat.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I been slacking, I am 6'-1" and 230lbs. Tried WW for a bit but found it a pain. I sit in front of a computer constantly for work which doesn't help. I'd like to get back down to 200, so aim starting to run again. Feel your pain guys. Calories is just a measure of work done. So you can burn as many calories walking the same distance as running it just takes longer, and you don't get the same cardio workout. In any case you just have get moving.

Last edited:

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
Don't pay attention to anyone who says things like "avocados and olive oil are good fats!" There are two types of fats: fat and worse fat. It's like saying a fender bender is a good accident because it doesn't cause much damage. It's still a car accident, just not a fatal one. Any benefits your get from "good lipids" will be present in a lot of the other food you eat.

Controversial assertion right there. A whole ton of nutritional and fitness experts would disagree with that statement. Any basis for the claim? Obviously you did something right yourself but I'm interested in why you feel this is the case in regards to traditionally accepted "good fats".

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
If you're trying to lose weight, fat is fat. It's densely stored and packed energy your body tries to put back on as efficiently as possible, I.e. right back on your love handles. Nature thinks fat is desirable so it makes it hard to burn, eating fats while dieting is like running backwards in a race.

Once you're happy with your weight and have a stronger metabolism then eat what you like. I do. Hell, I'm stopping for some bacon, egg, and cheese pizza at Whole Foods on the way to work. :)