GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed cam follower, no VCDS codes?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Replaced my friends cam follower

Cam didn’t look gouged too bad. No CEL, no fuel related codes. I would think there would be codes if the HPFP was damaged?

Car dies when dropping to idle after a pull. Replaced thrust sensor, n80. Checking DV tomorrow. Car idles rougher when dip stick is pulled, so I think PCV is ok. Only code is 001670- for Intermittent ECM relays short to ground. Can I rule out HPFP damage if there’s no codes?

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Yes and know as the HPFP lobe could be damaged. Check if it sits straight and the tip is intact?

You have to remember that the bits that once formed the whole cam follower could now have damaged your VVT chain area.

So I personally would want to make sure that is all clear.

How does the timing look in VCDS, look for cam position adjustment or similiar. Think it is on measuring block 93. It should be in degrees

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the response. I’ll check that measuring block. I also suggested at a minimum dropping the oil pan and looking for bits.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
A failed cam follower can go "un-coded"...one will sometimes need to romp on it hard a number of times before the code shows up. Big VW fail in my opinion. Mine didn't code until I got on it full throttle for more than ten seconds and I found the face was worn off and the intake cam's tri-lobe was grooved.

With regards to the VVT damage, the VVT cover should be removed and one should inspect the tri-lobe, inspect the three ring condition, and make sure the VVT pick-up screen is free of debris.

VVT pick-up/screen feed;

Be sure when the cover is reinstalled that the hole isn't restricted by sealant;