GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Backfiring

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
I've been noticing a TON of backfiring when I get on it. I was just out and got on it to see if my boost peak was better from replacing my stock DV for a rev D today due to an oil leak. While I was getting on it of course a ton of backfiring is happening, my CEL light is flashing at me. Something is wrong but I'm not sure what.

I had my intake manifold replaced under warranty last month. Before that it rarely backfired. After, it backfires like crazy. Whats wrong with my car now?

EDIT: Called Linden VW. They said its cylinder misfires and it may be a bad coil pack and if it is they suggest getting the R8 Coils for $140. If its an intake manifold problem they will fix for free.

Last edited:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
do you have a CEL?
Find a local with vagcom and scan/log your car before you go spending money.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
do you have a CEL?
Find a local with vagcom and scan/log your car before you go spending money.

I had my friend VAG it. Cylinder 3 misfires. The CEL didn't stay on. It just flashed at me for like 1 minute after getting on it.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Right on, but you said $140 for just the coil packs initially :wink:

Yeah, that's what they said on the phone. So maybe I didn't hear them mention the spark plugs. That's on their site so I'll be bring a picture of it in with me just in case. :thumbsup:

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Just took it to the dealer. They said there's nothing wrong with my car. They got a read of misfire in cylinder 3. But they said there's nothing wrong with it after a test drive. I'm still going to just buy and install r8 could and plugs.

There's noticeable sputtering I don't know why they didn't notice it...

Coil and spark plug install seems to be easy. Any advice before I take it all apart?

EDIT:

Just drove it home from the dealer. First time stepping on it major sputtering and CEL flashed again. Linden VW was suppose to be the best in NJ. About that........

Last edited:

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
20 min install on r8 coils and plugs. Car runs better than ever...