GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extra sub-radiator

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
I happened to had a chance to attach genuine extra sub-radiator, known as "Hot Climate" specifications, only adopted for '05 model Mk5 GTI and GTI Cup car here in Japan.

Well, I had a DSG fluid overflow problem especially driving circuit, and was just thinking of adding extra cooling device, a dealer mechanic gave me an advise for attaching THIS.

I also changed my thermostat to GTI Pirelli edition thermo. It is said that it opens at 80C, I confirmed while city driving, average coolant temp went down from 89C to 83C. Also I noticed a radiator fan runs earlier compaired to the stock thermo, but thats just my imagination.

Attachments

• sub-radiator.jpg
    sub-radiator.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 11,845
  • GTI pirelli thermo.jpg
    GTI pirelli thermo.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5,917

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
I had a copy of ETKA, it should be somewhere around here...

Here's the plumbing drawing. major parts for this mod, you need these...
some clips, joints, and etc, are re-used.

My GTI is MY06 AXX engine with DSG. Manual transmission vehicle need different hoses/joints down below.

1K0 121 212C SECOND RADIATOR
1K0 122 051 BC WATER HOSE HOT CLIMATE
1K0 121 064 A WATER PIPE
1K0 121 101 CB WATER PIPE
1K0 121 087 J ADAPTER
1K0 121 156 BA WATER HOSE
1K0 121 333 A AIR DUCT
1K0 122 291 M QUICK COUPLING PIECE
1K0 121 156 BC WATER HOSE WITH QUICK COUPLING PIECE

06F 121 111 1H GTI Pirelli thermostat
(donno ED30's cause not sold in JAPAN)

And one more, because of the plumbing, I needed to change secondary water pump and some pipes to attach to. P/n is not on the list here above, unknown because i still didnt received a bill...

Pls ignore BLUE and RED markers. Those are my reference. it doesnt related to what I'd purchased.

Attachments

• img-324135010-0001.jpg
    img-324135010-0001.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 14,021

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Some DSG Mk.V GTIs, R32s or Mk.VI Rs also come with this additional water cooler/radiator
on the drivers side.

That's the only reason VW built GTIs (and Rs) with open grills. :wink:

1K0 121 212 C Zusatzwasserkühler (aktuelle TN) 170,17 €
1K0 122 051 BC Wasserschlauch Heißland
1K0 121 064 A Rohr
1K0 121 101 CB Rohr
1K0 121 087 J Adapter
1K0 121 156 BA Schlauch
1K0 121 333 A Lufteinlassführung
1K0 122 291 M Schnellverschluss
1K0 121 156 BC Schlauch Schnellverschluss
06F 121 111 1H Thermostat ED30

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
I forgot I posted this 2years ago. Thanks for the searching lol.

Well, piping are slightly different for DSG and Manual. For those who owns Manual transmission, please check the part number of some hoses. THOSE p/n for hoses listed above are DSG, and not for Manual.

Also if you are DSG, secondary water pump (electrical driven) needs to be replaced. Because of the piping, connecting layout will be changed so the pump inlet and outlet cannot connect with hoses. You need to buy a new genuine pump, but sorry I donno its p/n.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Thanks Daigo!

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
:thumbsup:

Btw, who is this butt staring guy??

I thought you were joking about 二丁目 at first haha. It's a very popular Korean music video:

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so the Pirelli or ED30 thermostat will do. What about that secondary pump on manual cars ? Does it exist there too and if yes does it need to be changed ? What code ?

Daigo, I see Japan is a left-hand drive country. Do you have the steering on the right like UK or on the left like the rest of Europe and does this influence the setup in any way ?

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
06F121111H thermo opens faster than stock, stays below 80C this season(stock coolant). I cut radiator feed hose and put water temp sensor in between the line, radiator feed pipe, very helpful monitoring temperature.

Manual cars does have "secondary water pump", but sorry don't know if you need to be replaced or not. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to do some garage work so I'll take pic and give you feedback for both DSG stock pump and replaced pumps.

Japan is a Right hand drive country just like in UK. My GTI is made in South Africa.
I don't think this influences the setup.

Attachments

• water temp sensor.jpg
    water temp sensor.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4,821

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, wanted to say right-hand drive but was thinking about what side of the road you drive :) For me the car is a left-hand drive and I drive on the right side of the road :) Will replace the thermostat if it's that much better for track use (wanted to keep it since I've just replaced it and it's brand new). Please enlighten me with the pump pics and why does it need to be changed and I will check to see if it's the same for me ! Thanks !

daigo

Oval Newbie
Car(s)
Mkv GTI
Vehicle with secondary radiator using "1K0 965 561 D" secondary water pump.
Plumbing is different from "1K0 965 561 G".

Attachments

• IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 4,626
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 4,500