GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EXPERIENCE: DP no tune and CEL FREE

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Hello, all Ive been reading tons of forums about downpipes and cel. I am currently under warranty but just want to improve the sound of my exhuast setup (res delete+CSS muffler).
I am not interested in a tune as I am looking to increase sound. Still have warranty and drive a manual.

Anyone ran a DP (CATTED) with no tune and cel experiences?

Ive heard about the Vibrant J or the 42DD sensor to combine with it could help. Dont know which option is better..

Any type of info or experience would be extremely helpful.

THANK YOU

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Hello, all Ive been reading tons of forums about downpipes and cel. I am currently under warranty but just want to improve the sound of my exhuast setup (res delete+CSS muffler).
I am not interested in a tune as I am looking to increase sound. Still have warranty and drive a manual.

Anyone ran a DP (CATTED) with no tune and cel experiences?

Ive heard about the Vibrant J or the 42DD sensor to combine with it could help. Dont know which option is better..

Any type of info or experience would be extremely helpful.

THANK YOU
I‘m in the communist Commonwealth of Massachusetts, so the yearly vehicle inspections can be a pain since they are now recorded to reduce fraud. I run a Unitronic catted downpipe with a Vibrant spacer and throw no CEL’s. If you have a local Audi/VW shop who has a good reputation, they will set you up. Mine told me that this was all for off road usage, of course.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I‘m in the communist Commonwealth of Massachusetts, so the yearly vehicle inspections can be a pain since they are now recorded to reduce fraud. I run a Unitronic catted downpipe with a Vibrant spacer and throw no CEL’s. If you have a local Audi/VW shop who has a good reputation, they will set you up. Mine told me that this was all for off road usage, of course.
I live in Florida so I dont gotta worry about emissions. I asked a local shop that mainly works on VW’s. I asked about installing a DP and O2 sensor would avoid CEL. They literally said “We can install the downpipe and the o2 spacer but i cant garantee no cel. Its possible but that is just not the way to do it.” Dont know what that means? I guess there’s still a chance of CEL...
They charge 150$ for the install. Is that a good price? I trust this shop as they get all the VW’s down here in South FL

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
No CEL with AWE downpipes.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
No CEL. Wagner catted downpipe. Stock ECU, first with a NPM and now JB4 Map 2.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I live in Florida so I dont gotta worry about emissions. I asked a local shop that mainly works on VW’s. I asked about installing a DP and O2 sensor would avoid CEL. They literally said “We can install the downpipe and the o2 spacer but i cant garantee no cel. Its possible but that is just not the way to do it.” Dont know what that means? I guess there’s still a chance of CEL...
They charge 150$ for the install. Is that a good price? I trust this shop as they get all the VW’s down here in South FL

That price seems too good.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nobody’s going to guarantee no CEL, even AWE doesn’t after one year if you read the fine print.

You need to understand what you’re attempting and go from there. Read this part carefully:

By adding an o2 spacer you’re simulating the large restrictive OEM cat being there by pulling the sensor out of direct flow and or restricting how much gasses are allowed to reach the sensor. There’s no one size fits all solution, hence why nobody’s going to guarantee it’ll work on the first try and forever on afterwards.

General starting points:

Catted downpipe with the cat BEFORE the o2 sensor = Vibrant Adjustable straight spacer with medium or large insert depending on the cell count of the cat (higher cell count 300+, use large. Lower cell count like 200 use medium).

Catless downpipe or catted with the o2 sensor before the cat = Vibrant adjustable J spacer with the medium insert, pointed as up stream as possible.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
thanks for the info guys!
I might go with the CATTED CTS DP eventually because of the price(if something comes for a good price i might go for it). Honestly notlooking to spend more than 600$ tbh. I feel like the CTS is pretty good for the price. I wish I could actually spend the money on getting one of these brands mentioned above.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
thanks for the info guys!
I might go with the CATTED CTS DP eventually because of the price(if something comes for a good price i might go for it). Honestly notlooking to spend more than 600$ tbh. I feel like the CTS is pretty good for the price. I wish I could actually spend the money on getting one of these brands mentioned above.

You said that you aren't getting a tune so to be honest I wouldn't bother with a DP. You might get 10HP but is $600 worth it to you for that small of gain? You would be far better off getting a JB4 and gaining 50HP for less money and you can remove it for warranty purposes.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
You said that you aren't getting a tune so to be honest I wouldn't bother with a DP. You might get 10HP but is $600 worth it to you for that small of gain? You would be far better off getting a JB4 and gaining 50HP for less money and you can remove it for warranty purposes.
Your very right man. I would get a JB4 but I got the stock clutch and already trip out about it from going bad. Even though my car is 19k miles its still my first manual. I just wanna increase the sound of the car with the setup I have without spending a fortune. I already run a 034 res delete n CSS muffler. I wanna hear that CSS ROAR smh

I feel you on the JB4. I dont wanna add more power to the stock clutch(to play safe). Clutches seem to be pricey, especially the labor I could imagine.

Last edited:

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I have the CTS downpipe with a spacer. The downpipe has been good and the price was hard to beat. I flashed back to stock recently to break in my new clutch and would get a cel every once and awhile. It would appear then go away after a day. For most of the month I was stock tune I had no cell. Even without a tune you’ll enjoy the extra sound n little added performance.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I have the CTS downpipe with a spacer. The downpipe has been good and the price was hard to beat. I flashed back to stock recently to break in my new clutch and would get a cel every once and awhile. It would appear then go away after a day. For most of the month I was stock tune I had no cell. Even without a tune you’ll enjoy the extra sound n little added performance.
That's awesome man. Thanks for the info. I'm making the purchase right now on CTS.com lol

What type of spacer are you using?

I might get 42DD O2 Spacer Sensor what you think??
1591499847763.png

Hopefully this setup would reduce the chance of CEL w/o tune

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I
That's awesome man. Thanks for the info. I'm making the purchase right now on CTS.com lol

What type of spacer are you using?

I might get 42DD O2 Spacer Sensor what you think??
View attachment 175967

Hopefully this setup would reduce the chance of CEL w/o tune
I got the one they recommended from their site. I believe it was an option to select. Every car is different though so no guarantee that you won’t get a cel. I’d definitely recommend even a stage 1 tune eventually. The tunes make these cars smoother in my opinion. The power is good of course but the better drivability is the best part. So much smoother with a tune In my experience

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I

I got the one they recommended from their site. I believe it was an option to select. Every car is different though so no guarantee that you won’t get a cel. I’d definitely recommend even a stage 1 tune eventually. The tunes make these cars smoother in my opinion. The power is good of course but the better drivability is the best part. So much smoother with a tune In my experience
Mayybbee when I lower my credit card I'll consider a JB4 by the end of the year. Modding is expensive LOL. Hopefully the DP goes well. I gotta get ready for this thing to be loud! My setup is gonna be a 034 res. delte with the CSS muffler. Hope my neighbors dont hate me.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mayybbee when I lower my credit card I'll consider a JB4 by the end of the year. Modding is expensive LOL. Hopefully the DP goes well. I gotta get ready for this thing to be loud! My setup is gonna be a 034 res. delte with the CSS muffler. Hope my neighbors dont hate me.

They will because not only will it be loud, but also sound like a Honda/diesel tractor...there’s a big difference between good loud and just loud and these cars sound awful done incorrectly.