GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Questions

Jdl09gti

///Quickster
Car(s)
GTi MkV.
So when this semester is over, one of the first things I plan on doing is getting a cat-back exhaust... Specifically Eurojet or Magnaflow. Still debating.

I just have a few things in my mind that need clearing up. Will the cat-back exhaust cause any CEL or Check Engine lights to go off? I'm only Stock and K&N Typhoon Intake. I know that things get a bit trickier with the Down-pipe/Turbo-back exhaust systems. And since this is only the Cat-back mod, I'm assuming that there should be no issues passing when it comes to Emission testing? Especially in CA :cry:

OR

The other thing I've been considering is just a Stage 1 tune... but I'm assuming that might have emission problems when it comes to emission testing in the future?

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
stage I

according to APR, tunes do not affect CA emissions testing. you will need to address the intake however.

thewhiteone

Ready to race!
the only way you will throw codes is if you do cat delete but considering your only doing a cat-back than everything should be fine. the tune shouldnt affect anything either unless its a shitty tune. also when and if you decide to do a catless DP than most stage 2 tunes will eliminate that code so there isnt an issue anymore. i havnt had to deal with emissions in years but as far as i know as long as your car isnt throwing codes and is running fine than you should be able to pass emissions w/mods.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
If you want power, do the chip.
If you just want it to sound different do the cat back.
No Calif emissions issues for either really.

mkvsao

alcoholic just like mygti
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Dude do the chip first, you won't regret the night and day difference in power! The chip is definitely the best bang for your buck!

Jdl09gti

///Quickster
Car(s)
GTi MkV.
Thanks for the good advice you guys. Everything is pretty much cleared up right now. As for the tune, I paid a visit to a local shop and they said that I might also need a DSG flash as well? I don't really think theres no need to. After all if you look at the apr site, it doesnt say anything about DSG flashes.

As for the exhaust, I have a local shop who's doing a custom cat back with magnaflow for under $350. So i'll probably do that after the tune. :)

stage I

according to APR, tunes do not affect CA emissions testing. you will need to address the intake however.

My intake is K&N Typhoon 69-9504.... "Street legal in Most states. Not legal CA and other states adopting emission standards" is what the paper says.. ohh well. I also have an intake on a 5.7 Hemi durango since 04 and it passes the emissions so it shouldn't be an issue... hopefully. lol

Thanks for all the input.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
You don't *need* a DSG tune. Your Stage 1 ECU tune will be run just fine without it, but the DSG tune is supposed to be a nice upgrade down the road. Stage 1 will make your car feel like a frigging rocket compared with the stock tune. It really is a night and day difference.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Too bad you can't simply just get a downpipe and stage 2... Next mod being a fuel pump... Then FMIC.. then injectors.. then K04.. Theeeennnn catback

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Man does California suck balls. An intake and you fail emissions? My car sounds and smells like racecar when I roll in and I always pass. If not it gets reregistered away from a metro city where they don't even do emissions.

Jdl09gti

///Quickster
Car(s)
GTi MkV.
Too bad you can't simply just get a downpipe and stage 2... Next mod being a fuel pump... Then FMIC.. then injectors.. then K04.. Theeeennnn catback
Yeahp I told myself maybe a stage 1 will be good enough but looking at the stage 2 and higher parts make me want more and yet I still don't know how stage 1 feels like. :O

You don't *need* a DSG tune. Your Stage 1 ECU tune will be run just fine without it, but the DSG tune is supposed to be a nice upgrade down the road. Stage 1 will make your car feel like a frigging rocket compared with the stock tune. It really is a night and day difference.

Yeah I heard a lot about that when reading some of the older threads. Looking forward to it. And like I said above, when I experience it, I'm gonna want more down the road. :)

Man does California suck balls. An intake and you fail emissions? My car sounds and smells like racecar when I roll in and I always pass. If not it gets reregistered away from a metro city where they don't even do emissions.

Cali is pretty strict when it comes to this and it sucks a lot especially when you like to tune cars. With intake you can pretty much pass. My 5.7 hemi Durango with 100k+miles and k&n intake pass with np. It's just that I'm
in a new territory when it comes to emissions in ecu flashing and exhaust mods.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
just swap the downpipe out for the stock one when smog time comes around (every two years for us?) it sounds like a pita and it is.

you could also try one of those "back-alley" smog test/check stations and get away with some cash exchanging hands...i mean everyone has their price. sketch? you bet ya'

with CA, any tempering with the exhaust will warrant a smog visual fail. it varies from shop-to-shop if the visual failure will equate to a overall smog failure. in most cases it will.

according to APR, an ecu flash will not affect smog testing both "visual" (tampering, etc) and sniffer. this applies to all software companies.

Jdl09gti

///Quickster
Car(s)
GTi MkV.
just swap the downpipe out for the stock one when smog time comes around (every two years for us?) it sounds like a pita and it is.

you could also try one of those "back-alley" smog test/check stations and get away with some cash exchanging hands...i mean everyone has their price. sketch? you bet ya'

with CA, any tempering with the exhaust will warrant a smog visual fail. it varies from shop-to-shop if the visual failure will equate to a overall smog failure. in most cases it will.

according to APR, an ecu flash will not affect smog testing both "visual" (tampering, etc) and sniffer. this applies to all software companies.

Your right, swaping is a real pita. I remember talking to my local smoger/exhaust shop about this and iirc, the first time I went to him w/ my durango, he said he would pass me even if I failed at no charge. so when it comes to smog, I can just go to him instead of swapping the down pipes. I believe the smog is every 6 years? I haven't gotten a smog request for my car since 09.

toaster11

Only Windsor Dub
Car(s)
06 GTI MKV
I have APR stage 1 and a Eurojet catback. Get flashed by APR first. Anyone here will tell you how amazing it is. As for the exhaust: no codes and I absolutely love it. Noise is right where I wanted it. No problems so far after 10 months.

Jdl09gti

///Quickster
Car(s)
GTi MkV.
I have APR stage 1 and a Eurojet catback. Get flashed by APR first. Anyone here will tell you how amazing it is. As for the exhaust: no codes and I absolutely love it. Noise is right where I wanted it. No problems so far after 10 months.

Yep! Def. Planning on the APR stage 1 flash this summer. Just waiting for that Sale... If they have a summer like how they sold the Stage 1 flash for $549 in the spring. Reason why I didn't do it during spring sale is bc I'm busy with school, work and coaching is just a lot to do; also told myself no mods until this semester is over so i don't have to worry about school work in the process.:thumbsup::biggrin: Now that I'm freeing up, I can finally enjoy the moment everyone's been yelling about! :headbang:

Now just need to find the nearest APR dealer here... Gonna search around and see what I can come up with.