GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive Oil Consumption

Fate

Car(s)
2007 MK5 GTI 2.0T
Hi all, I am new here. I recently bought a 2007 GTI and I am having oil problems. I do not see a leak anywhere and I have black smoke if I accelerate too fast. I have owned the car for about 2 months now and have had to put 3 quarts in on 1500 miles. I did fine one issue where two hoses were lose in the engine bay but clamped the down to where they need to be. Only codes I have left on the car is for cooling performance (AC fan doesn't work) and catalyst system bank 1 and 2. I have yet to replace my PCV or cam follower. When I blew through the PCV it had a lot of resistance. Also for more info, the car has a new turbo and sometimes when I'm driving, when I shift between 1st and 2nd it'll leave a giant plume of smoke behind me bigger than the car. Has anyone dealt with these symptoms before and can point me in the correct direction? Thank you.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
OK...first thing I would address is the CF (cam follower). I have a vid for replacing it:

Not sure exactly how you tested the PCV, but it sounded like you blew through the opening for where the tube to the intake manifold attaches. If so, this will only partially test one of its three valves.

Once the PCV is known to be good...the oil loss is most likely due to worn valve guide seals, valve guides themselves, or piston rings. The smoke may also be due to a worn turbo...but not as much oil loss comes from this. If you do a leak-down test and find the rings do not leak, you should prepare yourself to do a head rebuild and replace the valve stem seals. The guide-to-valve clearance can be checked at that time. As far as the turbo goes...is there much oil in the charge air system (boost plumbing and inter-coolers)?

There is a slim possibility that its rocker cover is allowing oil into the PCV's recycle route which goes through the cover. You would need to disconnect both the PCV and rear vent tube from the cover in order to test if the route is sealed.

Last edited:

Fate

Car(s)
2007 MK5 GTI 2.0T
OK...first thing I would address is the CF (cam follower). I have a vid for replacing it:

Not sure exactly how you tested the PCV, but it sounded like you blew through the opening for where the tube to the intake manifold attaches. If so, this will only partially test one of its three valves.

Once the PCV is known to be good...the oil loss is most likely due to worn valve guide seals, valve guides themselves, or piston rings. The smoke may also be due to a worn turbo...but not as much oil loss comes from this. If you do a leak-down test and find the rings do not leak, you should prepare yourself to do a head rebuild and replace the valve stem seals. The guide-to-valve clearance can be checked at that time. As far as the turbo goes...is there much oil in the charge air system (boost plumbing and inter-coolers)?

There is a slim possibility that its rocker cover is allowing oil into the PCV's recycle route which goes through the cover. You would need to disconnect both the PCV and rear vent tube from the cover in order to test if the route is sealed.
Thank you for the information. As far as I know about this car, it had a new turbo put on just before I purchased it at 105k miles. Only way I could verify this was by getting under the car and physically looking at it and it did indeed look newer than everything else. I also replaced the DV recently just for good measure, but when I took it out oil poured out. When I get some time this weekend, I will check the plumbing and pull the PCV/Intake unit. When I am able, I'll do a valve leak down test. Only mod on this car I've seen so far is a Cold Air Intake.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
With lots of oil on the DV...the turbo is shot or oil is coming through the vented crankcase into the turbo inlet. If you see much oil in the turbo inlet...then its turbo may be OK.

"New Turbo", if those were just words, is not equal to new OE or BorgWarner Factory unit. What billing have you seen for the turbo? Could be a rebuild or imported clone. I hope not, but one must consider this.