GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EVAP Witch Hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed
For months now I have been hunting, chasing, obsessing about an issue that ONLY happens right after each fueling (worst part) and then also messes w/ my idle afterwards. (annoying)
The ONLY codes I get after fueling are all misfire related : P0300, 0302, 0304 and sometime other cylinders too.
Car gets the EPC seconds after starting the engine after fueling and sometime both the EPC and CEL. It forces me to sit at the gas station, clear codes and start it up again, keep throttle around 3k rpm until I can no longer hear misfiring, it then runs "normal" but it does have its share of idle stumbles.
I have replaced gas cap, purge valve AND charcoal canister and new catch-can, although at my first fill up after the evap tank was replaced two days ago, I did get those codes w/ "some" rough idle immediately after filling up today but no EPC/CEL, yet.
It is a Gremlin issue that no one has been able to diagnose, yet.:confused:
Now get this, if I unplug the electrical connector to the purge valve, it all magically goes away!!
So it IS related to the EVAP system, fuel vapors flooding engine (?) messing w/ AFR afterwards?
But w/ all new evap parts installed??! :eek::confused::confused:
I don't expect someone to chime in w/ an immediate solution, someone perhaps that had the exact same issue and knows exactly what needs to be done but I am at a dead end......have nothing to lose and am at peace if I am forced to drive w/ the purge valve off and cel on. But would rather not of course, so please, any intelligent/knowledgeable comment would be highly appreciated. Thank you !!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For months now I have been hunting, chasing, obsessing about an issue that ONLY happens right after each fueling (worst part) and then also messes w/ my idle afterwards. (annoying)
The ONLY codes I get after fueling are all misfire related : P0300, 0302, 0304 and sometime other cylinders too.
Car gets the EPC seconds after starting the engine after fueling and sometime both the EPC and CEL. It forces me to sit at the gas station, clear codes and start it up again, keep throttle around 3k rpm until I can no longer hear misfiring, it then runs "normal" but it does have its share of idle stumbles.
I have replaced gas cap, purge valve AND charcoal canister and although at my first fill up after the evap tank was replaced two days ago, I did get those codes w/ "some" rough idle immediately after filling up today.
It is a Gremlin issue that no one has been able to diagnose, yet.:confused:
Now get this, if I unplug the electrical connector to the purge valve, it all magically goes away!!
So it IS related to the EVAP system, fuel vapors flooding engine (?) messing w/ AFR afterwards?
But w/ all new evap parts installed??! :eek::confused::confused:
I don't expect someone to chime in w/ an immediate solution, someone perhaps that had the exact same issue and knows exactly what needs to be done but I am at a dead end......have nothing to lose and am at peace if I am forced to drive w/ the purge valve off and cel on. But would rather not of course, so please, any intelligent/knowledgeable comment would be highly appreciated. Thank you !!

Have you changed the purge valve?

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you changed the purge valve?

Yes it's on my post, it was my first try since it all pointed to the purge valve.....but it wasn't it.:confused:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yes it's on my post, it was my first try since it all pointed to the purge valve.....but it wasn't it.:confused:

Check wiring.

This is completely generic advice, because I have no clue about the purge valve itself but from a professional troubleshooting standpoint that’s your next step.

You can start simple, unplug each end of the harness and carefully jump each pin to ground and check continuity. After looking for obvious corrosion or damage of course.

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, how long has the charcoal canister been on? There might still be a lot of fuel in the line that needs to get through.

Installed it Friday and have driven about 300 miles since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, how long has the charcoal canister been on? There might still be a lot of fuel in the line that needs to get through.

I’ll update issue at next fill up to test your theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed