GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Maestro 7 tuning thread

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Subd. I have always wanted to learn more about tuning but never fully expanded my knowledge into the area. I more then know the basics, but as others am intimidated by using maestro myself because I know enough to get me in trouble lol (I even have a maestro unit at the shop). Curious to see if maybe we can get some base maps and would love to see if it would be possible to lower the torque on a ko4 and raise the hp. Need to get home and read some of this info when I'm not browsing on my phone.

That's exactly how I feel, like I said i have 2 files i'm playing with.. I've loaded them both and compared tables across the board. The only thing some of tables to adjust are about complex and don't make sense to me, it's just #'s to me. I'm pretty sure after working with someone who has experience i'll feel a bit more comfortable.

Rolando_TX

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
I can probably help if for some reason somebody doesn't understand what those tables are, or where to make changes... Maybe you just need to know what to datalog? It all looks very straightforward though.

EDIT:

It looks almost like too little, is that everything you would need to have access to in this PCM? Are we locked out of some pieces of the calibration for any reason?

Also, I know there are parts of calibration not in place here, but have there been issues with people needing tables that aren't defined, or is it pretty much complete?

I understan you can ask support to unlock more tables for you.

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
yes this is the suite i'm running... jjakimetz, have you ever tuned in Maestro?

No, but this is what I am used to:

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Rolando what tune are you going with on the GOLF R?

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
I can probably help if for some reason somebody doesn't understand what those tables are, or where to make changes... Maybe you just need to know what to datalog? It all looks very straightforward though.

EDIT:

It looks almost like too little, is that everything you would need to have access to in this PCM? Are we locked out of some pieces of the calibration for any reason?

Also, I know there are parts of calibration not in place here, but have there been issues with people needing tables that aren't defined, or is it pretty much complete?

Correct, there isn't any readily available software that allows access to all maps. Supposedly it's due to the complexity of the ecu's and the amount of ecu numbers that each require individual definitions.

I think some of the frustration at least for me comes from either not knowing the how or when exactly each map is used.
not each map seems to do quite what it says all the time.

the upside to all the downsides of this confusion is that these cars are very adaptive to changes, right or wrong. My dumb ass has managed almost 500whp being mostly all tuned by me. And i had zero tuning experience before maestro.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Correct, there isn't any readily available software that allows access to all maps. Supposedly it's due to the complexity of the ecu's and the amount of ecu numbers that each require individual definitions.

I think some of the frustration at least for me comes from either not knowing the how or when exactly each map is used.
not each map seems to do quite what it says all the time.

the upside to all the downsides of this confusion is that these cars are very adaptive to changes, right or wrong. My dumb ass has managed almost 500whp being mostly all tuned by me. And i had zero tuning experience before maestro.

What have you done in your tune so far? What are you trying to figure out?

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I'd like to know as well. I'm also curious to find out exactly what the limitations are with Maestro, as it'll greatly impact my decision on what tuning solution I go with.

What kind of issues have you run into specifically, cruizin?

613B6

Ready to race!
Rather that reinventing the wheel Ill post this link as it taught me the basics a few years ago and Bananas is still I guy I learn from today. While this is for me7 most of the maps apply except for BVC, IC, and anything main fueling related. With Med9 tapp has made this a click for either s3 or rs4 with his wizard.

http://www.eurodyne.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=689

My questions to the gurus, the values in the target rail map, are these arbitrary values are do they mean anything becasue mine max at 13.5 over 50% load and upper rpms? Same question for the low pressure map except these values are maxed at 580? The rest is pretty much what Im used to with med7.

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Sub'd

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Rather that reinventing the wheel Ill post this link as it taught me the basics a few years ago and Bananas is still I guy I learn from today. While this is for me7 most of the maps apply except for BVC, IC, and anything main fueling related. With Med9 tapp has made this a click for either s3 or rs4 with his wizard.

My questions to the gurus, the values in the target rail map, are these arbitrary values are do they mean anything becasue mine max at 13.5 over 50% load and upper rpms? Same question for the low pressure map except these values are maxed at 580? The rest is pretty much what Im used to with med7.

In that guy's description, he say this:

Power Enrichment
Bosch Abbreviation: LAMFA?
X: Torque Demand
Y: RPM
O: Lambda?
Description: I don't know. This is maybe desired lambda below EGT threshold. Also, the X axis seems to be broken.

Based on the name of the table, it looks like what the name says. Power enrichment should be AFR 14.64 to 10.5 = 1 to .7 , and what exactly is .85? 12.44 = good AFR @WOT

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
original post updated with links
Keep the info coming in guys!

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
What have you done in your tune so far? What are you trying to figure out?

I've made adjustments here and there
In quite a few places.

For example
I don't fully understand the how target filling and optimum torque maps are configured. They are inverse but don't always match. I've read about what they mean but I've seen similar tunes with different numbers. Mainly on the top end.

There's a map for Max VE, how do you know what that is? I've bumped it because i believe the Ecu calculates this and if you go over starts yanking timing.

The minimum timing Map? does nothing in my experience.

How do you know when the Ecu Is using low vs High octane timing map? I tune with the high map.

Does It use optimal timing map? Ive just copied my high maps over.

My main issue right now is cold starts. The car likes to stall one time about 10 in before it will idle. There is a cold start map but it isn't used until the car guess into closed Loop which is about 30 seconds after start up. The combination of direct injection, weird spray pattern Rs4 injectors and no intake flapper motor attributes to this. So somewhere there is a map that sets definitions on initial start up that isn't available to us. Supposedly a few tuners have this issue fixed but for guys like me it's a battle.

13.5 is 135bar. You're tune should peak at this. Adjust as necessary.

I had minimal luck seeing changes on the 2 low pressure maps. I've had multiple pumps and don't see any change for the most part.

613B6

Ready to race!
In that guy's description, he say this:

Based on the name of the table, it looks like what the name says. Power enrichment should be AFR 14.64 to 10.5 = 1 to .7 , and what exactly is .85? 12.44 = good AFR @WOT

its in lambda and a safe a/f ratio is high 11s, mid 12s give you zero safety room.

613B6

Ready to race!
13.5 is 135bar. You're tune should peak at this. Adjust as necessary.

I had minimal luck seeing changes on the 2 low pressure maps. I've had multiple pumps and don't see any change for the most part.

thanks!

do you have any logs of your cold starts? For most common rail maestro cars ive tuned that had cold start issues where all lean, trace an idle log through the temp vs a/f map and add fuel. Id start there if you havent already.

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
I've made adjustments here and there
In quite a few places.

For example
I don't fully understand the how target filling and optimum torque maps are configured. They are inverse but don't always match. I've read about what they mean but I've seen similar tunes with different numbers. Mainly on the top end.

There's a map for Max VE, how do you know what that is? I've bumped it because i believe the Ecu calculates this and if you go over starts yanking timing.

The minimum timing Map? does nothing in my experience.

How do you know when the Ecu Is using low vs High octane timing map? I tune with the high map.

Does It use optimal timing map? Ive just copied my high maps over.

My main issue right now is cold starts. The car likes to stall one time about 10 in before it will idle. There is a cold start map but it isn't used until the car guess into closed Loop which is about 30 seconds after start up. The combination of direct injection, weird spray pattern Rs4 injectors and no intake flapper motor attributes to this. So somewhere there is a map that sets definitions on initial start up that isn't available to us. Supposedly a few tuners have this issue fixed but for guys like me it's a battle.

You can figure out target filling by looking at your table's section (throttle) and going off of the information in the axis. Looks like RPM vs %tq, and output is a percentage, probably load? It's like TQ based pedal follower, but kind of backwards.

Max VE appears to go off the same principal, it is pedal based (%torque=torque being requested from the pedal angle[driver input]), and is an expected value. Don't change it unless your engine's actual volumetric efficiency somehow increased by getting block work done. Other than that you could raise it at the top for larger turbos or if more boost is expected than stock (at least thats what it looks like).

Min timing map = absolute lowest timing value allowed, no matter what all spark calculations equal. You could raise this to force higher timing I guess, but that sounds like a really BAD idea.

Low vs Hi octane maps (if anything like GM) is based on your detected knock. If it detects no knock, it trends towards the high octane table. When it sees knock, it trends back towards low octane table. It is probably a bad idea to raise the low table much, in the case of bad gas or accidental 87 octane fillup. For power in optimal condition (no knock), tune high octane table.