GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurocars build thread

Car(s)
Mk5 rabbit
No homo

no, I bought another harness to put it back. I have too many things to wire up (ebc, wot box, aux injector controller, etc) and its just easier if I don't have to chase wires through fenders and under the dash
Been really trying to study all you have done with your bay shaving and tuck. Just to be clear you didn’t undo it cause of issues? Just cause of the hassle of having to more wiring for your new goodies? So like if I kept my motor completely stock it wouldn’t be a big deal once done?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Been really trying to study all you have done with your bay shaving and tuck. Just to be clear you didn’t undo it cause of issues? Just cause of the hassle of having to more wiring for your new goodies? So like if I kept my motor completely stock it wouldn’t be a big deal once done?

Didnt have issues other than rev hang due to a clutch switch going bad. My harness now is just re-routed into the cabin, there are no cuts/splices. It mounts in the center of the dash where the HVAC used to live.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
500 mile report

Just made it over the 500 mile break-in mark yesterday. Thankfully there haven't been any major issues. A few things i'm still working on:

Interior is falling apart from sitting. Headliner and door cards all need redone, starting to research what I could do.
Motor mounts have been vibrating themselves apart. Had some clunking and found out that the bracket between the transmission and mount was loose at all three bolts. Took all mounts apart and loctited them
Front main seal is seeping oil. I've already taken it apart to replace it once, will keep an eye on it as its not too bad
Rear exhaust hangar cracked - had it reinforced with extra braces

I've only gotten hard into the throttle once now and it rips. The RS4 injectors smoke bad as boost is building, but clear up in the higher RPM's. May look into other solutions as im tired of cleaning the hatch after every trip.

Pic of the exhaust upgrades:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Great stuff, Eric. I haven't been on this forum in a while and just got the notification today. Glad to see it's running! I miss my MKV some days, but then not on others haha.

npace

Autocross Champion
I realize you posted this a while ago, but, I went the extra length to route my extra wiring with the engine harness to make it all more manageable and cleaner. My oil pressure sensor and w/m harness are routed with the engine harness to a bulkhead connector. I didn't have to splice anything, although I did cut the wiring harness to use cannon plugs, but that's 100% not necessary, I just wanted to be able to pull the engine easier. Unless you know what you're looking at, the extra wires are impossible to spot.

npace

Autocross Champion
I know you're already into this and plan on using sheet metal, but can you use an 8P A3? Like, find one at a junkyard and cut out the rear so you can still have a spare wheel? Just a thought.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I know you're already into this and plan on using sheet metal, but can you use an 8P A3? Like, find one at a junkyard and cut out the rear so you can still have a spare wheel? Just a thought.
I have the Cayenne 6 pots in the front and 4 in the rear, so I would still need a "full sized" spare to clear. If I get a flat, i have to hope a can of fix-a-flat will patch it or figure out how to carry a full sized spare

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Do you need the trunk space? If not build something holds a full size spare, whether it be part of a cage like mine or simply something welded to the floor and reinforced to hold it.

BB83D562-3671-4C9E-AC97-322FCC5A1D2A.jpeg

npace

Autocross Champion
I have the Cayenne 6 pots in the front and 4 in the rear, so I would still need a "full sized" spare to clear. If I get a flat, i have to hope a can of fix-a-flat will patch it or figure out how to carry a full sized spare
Makes sense. The other nice thing about the A3 floor pan is that, even on the 2.0T models, they had the provision for putting in the trunk mounted battery box.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Been a while since the last update, finally got underway with my 4motion swap. Fuel tank is in (with TTRS LPFP) and rear floor is cut out. I picked up some steel sheet to weld back in, hoping to complete by this weekend so i can mount the rear end up

Good to see you’re still at it. On the spare, why not pack a wheel spacer along with a space saver from a R or PP MK7 GTI to clear your brakes? Also, think about using a aluminum rear subframe from an 8p A3 3.2Q. They are cheap at the junk yards that I’ve seen.