GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurocars build thread

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Pulled the engine again to touch up a few things. Only takes about an hour to pull everything now.

turbo got chopped for a new charge pipe:

GTI rack got swapped back in for now:

And pulling the girdle to fix some seepage (common issue with girdles...)

should have it all back together in a week or so, hoping to put miles on it this summer before i pull it all again for the 4mo swap

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Turbo sure seems to fit well now. That'd be great if it's just that seal and not the girdle so you can keep it.

projectDIY

Nice progress. The new setup looks a lot cleaner and simplier. Am I right in thinking the shorter the charge piping the more efficient the whole system runs inc. turbo spool? Also whats the reasoning behind relocating the BOV before the intercooler rather than after as most people run it?

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Well, even though the passenger side axle seemed like it had enough room, it juuuust touched the charge pipe and compressor housing elbow. Saw some witness markings on the turbo and metal shavings from the hose clamp. Picked up an aftermarket axle that’s solid instead of hollow, so it takes up less real estate.

Also chopped some more off the block to clear the coupler. Added a hose from the upper vent port and removed the clogged up small filter. Also had a small oil leak from the dipstick tube so i added a swoops mini dipstick

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Well, in true project fashion, I’ve now learned that my mini alternator isn’t cut out to run all the MKV electronics and i need something larger. After a 30 mile round trip keeping rpms around 3k, my battery voltage is 11.4v. Do I try and make some custom brackets for a different mini alternator with more output (looking at powermaster 8152) or just run a big stock one and shave the bracket? Either way the lower coolant hose will need redone