GOLFMKV

EQT tuning is Trash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
As the Title states EQT is trash, this has been my experience on there custom tune.

Mods: TPC38, HPA HPFP, CTS Intercooler, Trackslag Downpipe, R600 Intake, NGK RS7 1 step colder plugs.
ECU tune: EQT custom
TCU tune: EQT IS38

i purchased EQT ECU and TCU cause of all the positive reviews about there custom tune.

The first Revision i had was very under powered and gave EPC light. i mentioned this to them on my first Email.
Screenshot_20210729-222744.jpg

EQT did not Respond about the EPC or Code.
this was the only Response a week later.
Screenshot_20210730-161605.jpg

I replied about my Wastegate being 3.9v.
Screenshot_20210730-161718.jpg

EQT didn't Respond about my Wastegate, so i decided to go ahead and datalog car which seemed fine. Following day i got EPC and CEL codes. i sent them a separate email all Caps "HELP ASAP 4 CODES" they responded that day and told me the Wastegate was high get it checked by a Tech.

This annoyed me cause i asked about my Wastegate before proceeding with the tune and its also in the Logs, if they are really taking there time to refine my tune how did he not notice the WG readings in the Logs?

I emailed EQT with Questions about EPC and CEL issues. which They never Responded. I contacted a shop to adjust my WG but had a wait a week for an Open spot.

ENTER: SNEEKYTUNE

while waiting for the shop appointment I decided to contact Sneekytune and told them my issue. Sneeky hit me back same day telling me what to look for in my logs, and what might cause an issue. after 6 or more back and fourth emails. sneeky said its possibly a slow WG death, have it readjusted to 3.5v and take it from there. I was very thankful they showed concern and tried to help me out even though i was not a customer.

afterwards i asked if they had a base Tune for TPC38 for purchase. He said only IS38, TPC38 would need custom to really see its potential. because of the great feedback from Sneekytune i went along and Purchased Sneekytune custom tune for TPC38.

SNEEKYTUNE first file was very good i think it was stronger then EQT 2nd revision.

I ended up replacing my WG and adjusting to 3.5v. afterwards I send my Logs Back to EQT, and Sneekytune each with there own tune files.

3 days later Sneekytune 2nd file arrives, even stronger, i got scared i didnt expect how much this would pull to redline.

A week later EQT responds with "Seems laggy do a 4th gear pull and Log it." as soon as i reflashed back to EQT is underpowered, and EQT file had alot of Knock compared to Sneekytune.

I got Revision 3 and 4 from Sneekytuned and it freaking pulls like a freight train up top! we were in talks about going E85 blend to see how much more power i can get.

Now back to EQT and our back and forth.
after my 4th gear pull EQT responds
Screenshot_20210801-134819.jpg

after waiting 2 weeks i emailed EQT. "Are we doing anymore Revision, Whats going on?"

EQT replied
Screenshot_20210801-134859.jpg

i replied
Screenshot_20210801-135055.jpg

EQT replied
Screenshot_20210801-135115.jpg

i replied
Screenshot_20210801-135129.jpg

EQT response.
Screenshot_20210801-135154.jpg

Nicks response annoyed me.
(I’m trying to work with you, I need the data to make a decision.")
You couldn't make a decisions based on my 3rd or 4th gear Pulls Prior?

("I don’t want to tune your car on a log from 3 weeks ago, I want a fresh log, on the current gas, in the current condition.") Why didn't you say this 3 weeks ago!

("I told you that you MAY have a boost leak, you did some changes, and send me a log, great. I told you that you have a small amount of knock retard, you added in some E to resolve that, great. (your choice)")
I didnt change anything cause i had No boost leak according to shop when i replaced WG. -2.25 KR on all cylinders is small? even -4 on a pull? to EQT this was small, Sneekytune helped me reduce EQT small Knock.

("All I am asking for now, to help you, is send me a log as is, detail the fuel type and if there is any E in there, and I will get you a file back for the dyno session (if I can make any changes) before you go. Once you are on the dyno, log it, and I can further refine if required. I’m sure that is reasonable.")
No this is not reasonable, they pretty much told me this is it, based on my hardware. and now that i wanna see the dyno numbers they want new Pulls on 2 3 and 4 gear and the Dyno info to help me?! they should of been helping me the entire time! this is info EQT should of ask from the beginning.

EQT suppose to be ahead of Sneekytune as a company and possibly service. but in my experience its far from it! Sneekytune is miles ahead in customer service and tune. Sneekytune doesnt need my dynos to try and help me. they know how to read LOGS to make adjustments prior to Dyno. i really wish i could get a complete Refund from EQT.

how can one company be telling me it may be boost leak, hardware issue. while the other has me ready to take Flight!

whats crazy is if i didnt go to Sneekytune, i probably would of believed EQT claims.

for Context within 2 months of Tuning EQT total Emails 12 VS Sneekytuned total emails 37.

SNEEKYTUNE for the win, for real.

Bcraig47

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI Autobahn
Well maybe if ya just went along with what he said instead of getting annoyed which I know sometimes can be hard. EQT has been very good to me, they talk to me on instagram and everything else. They do have downtime which everyone else has as well. But I hope you enjoy sneaky tune.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
lmao @ thinking sneeky is somehow better garbage.

As someone who's dealt with them, I can say this: their staged tunes are pretty okay. Their custom tuning is a total crap-shoot unless you schedule a Dyno tune with Ed. He's fantastic at that.

Nick repeatedly sends people the wrong file or puts work off with 'you have a slight boost leak' or similar BS to give himself more time. It can take months to get a base map, especially during the peak tuning season (now). They're clearly super busy, and that makes getting log reviews for diagnostics very tedious, as you've experienced.

Again, if you can work with Ed, he's great. But they're way too busy for one guy, and so you get the mass-market cheap e-tune experience like this if you don't pony up the extra $200.

Last edited:

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Both of you guys handled that badly. Yes he could have been fast and for sure answered some basic questions but you didn’t help your cause either. Every tuning company has their pros and cons. Eqt is one of if not the biggest for doing custom tunes. That means response will be slower. Sneaky on the other hand although has been a round for a “decent” amount of time he’s still considered new. He has some very fast cars but with that comes reliability. At some point he’ll get to big for himself too. It happens to all the tuners

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
That's been my experience with EQT in regards to Nick. Very slow to respond and if he even does it's some lame no effort response. I'm not sure anyone working with them is an actual full time employee randomly picked from the internet except for Ed. Don't really even know where Nick came from or why he is involved so much. Had some tunes come from him with incorrect info in the notes/details and really makes me concerned by tune is not setup right.

Overall though, I've been happy with the "off the shelf" stuff Ed has put together, but customer service/support needs some major work.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Ed really only tunes the extreme setups nowadays. Nick seems to send out files that are already running on another car with the same or very similar mods. From there he likely tweaks the maps to fine tune for that specific car. For example my tune notes “FFS” is active. I’m a DSG. Doesn’t effect it at all. They have tuned so many setups at this point, unless you’re requesting a full send file, you are getting a proven custom file to build on.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Both of you guys handled that badly. Yes he could have been fast and for sure answered some basic questions but you didn’t help your cause either. Every tuning company has their pros and cons. Eqt is one of if not the biggest for doing custom tunes. That means response will be slower. Sneaky on the other hand although has been a round for a “decent” amount of time he’s still considered new. He has some very fast cars but with that comes reliability. At some point he’ll get to big for himself too. It happens to all the tuners
This. I've seen it happen quite a bit.

It will correct itself one way or another.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Ed really only tunes the extreme setups nowadays. Nick seems to send out files that are already running on another car with the same or very similar mods. From there he likely tweaks the maps to fine tune for that specific car. For example my tune notes “FFS” is active. I’m a DSG. Doesn’t effect it at all. They have tuned so many setups at this point, unless you’re requesting a full send file, you are getting a proven custom file to build on.
Ed does all of the dyno tunes and Nick does everything else. Agreed at this point, they have a wide library of files from different conditions.
That's been my experience with EQT in regards to Nick. Very slow to respond and if he even does it's some lame no effort response. I'm not sure anyone working with them is an actual full time employee randomly picked from the internet except for Ed. Don't really even know where Nick came from or why he is involved so much. Had some tunes come from him with incorrect info in the notes/details and really makes me concerned by tune is not setup right.

Overall though, I've been happy with the "off the shelf" stuff Ed has put together, but customer service/support needs some major work.
As long as it's within the 7 business days for a response as stated when I purchased the tune, I'm good- I know what to expect, but the lame effort responses has to be better when one is spending $500+ for a custom tune. OP had specific concerns and Nick didn't even address them in the response.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ed remote dyno tuned mine with the TPC20. I'm currently running an OEM IS38 while my TPC20 gets a BB chra. I asked EQT about an OTS tune for a GTI running an IS38 and they currently only have one in beta testing and didn't need any more testers. So I emailed Sneeky on a Sunday not expecting them to answer for a few days. Sneeky emailed me about an hour after I sent my email and after several back and forth emails, all on Sunday, I had an OTS IS38 tune and am running it now and am satisfied with the tune. Like others have said EQT has got too big to perform like they used to.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So it sounds like Nick is the real problem. I've only dealt with Ed before and he's been great.

When I first tuned my car it seemed like Stratified was one of the more popular options, but they have also gotten too busy for their own good and now you rarely hear of them on our platform. Hopefully EQT doesn't go down the same path

At least you got it figured out now.. maybe try to get ahold of Ed directly about a refund instead of continuing to talk to Nick? He has an account on here you can DM

Agray

Go Kart Champion
That has to be too much.
Agreed, as evidenced by this thread and the extended wait times others are experiencing. Honestly, I can deal with the wait times if they are clearly stated and committed to, but what I can't accept is poor communication, careless errors when sending files, etc. If those issues are due to Nick being completely overwhelmed, then EQT has an obligation to the customer to do what's necessary to provide a higher standard of service.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Agreed, as evidenced by this thread and the extended wait times others are experiencing. Honestly, I can deal with the wait times if they are clearly stated and committed to, but what I can't accept is poor communication, careless errors when sending files, etc. If those issues are due to Nick being completely overwhelmed, then EQT has an obligation to the customer to do what's necessary to provide a higher standard of service.
To be fair eqt does state there’s a wait time 3-4 weeks and then 1 revision per week on average. I do agree they are swamped so they either need to cut back on or many they do at once or get someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.