GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC light, Engine light and limp mode at the same time...common circuit or set of wires?

brettdav

Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
I have a 2007 Rabbit, 2.5, 5spd. Bought it cheap from someone who clearly "rode it hard and put it away wet."

Usually on a rough road, the EPC and Engine lights come on and a rev limiter hits at 3,000 rpm.

My cheap code reader says "P0322 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal"
and "P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure / Barometric Pressure Circuit Range / Performance".

If I disconnect the battery for 5 min, the codes are clear and the car runs normally. Until the next time. lol

I'm thinking it's a loose connection, but if so, I can't find it.

Apologies if this has been previously covered or if I posted in the wrong place - I'm a disabled vet and part of that is some brain damage. Am slower than I used to be. (Also why I'm trying to fix it myself.)

Thanks!

VoodooDoll

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7
I have a 2007 Rabbit, 2.5, 5spd. Bought it cheap from someone who clearly "rode it hard and put it away wet."

Usually on a rough road, the EPC and Engine lights come on and a rev limiter hits at 3,000 rpm.

My cheap code reader says "P0322 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal"
and "P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure / Barometric Pressure Circuit Range / Performance".

If I disconnect the battery for 5 min, the codes are clear and the car runs normally. Until the next time. lol

Apologies if this has been previously covered or if I posted in the wrong place - I'm a disabled vet and part of that is some brain damage. Am slower than I used to be. (Also why I'm trying to fix it myself.)

Thanks!
Hello and welcome. I had an EPC issue on my 2008 GTI as well. Check out this thread:
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/inde...g-valve-n276-open-circuit-epc-warning.383679/

I was the poster "MagicMK" until my account got closed (long story). At any rate, for the forum to be more helpful, it always helps to provide more info... such as how many miles are on the car and anything else you can provide about previous maintenance. An EPC light can be a number of different things, but I know in my case on my 100K mile 2008 GTI, it turned out to be a crack in the N276 (see below). It's a fuel pressure sensor that's built into the GTI's High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). The stupid plastic cover actually can hit the top of the plastic connector and break it. This caused an EPC fault on my car. Take a look at the thread and see if you might also have a cracked HPFP sensor. Oh, and if you have a VW Rabbit that old that was driven "hard," you might want to invest in a better scanner or even a special VAG software program... definitely a good long term investment if you want to do your own work.

Hey, you were right - and thanks! Here's what happened... it WAS a crack in the N276... so for that matter, the recommendation in the MX808 was correct, as well. When I first looked for a crack, I was looking for a C-R-A-C-K. After both you and GTI's (as well as my Autel) were pointing to the N276 (and I realized what part it actually was), I did a Google Image search and found this: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=113298.0 ---- now that's a CRACK. I grabbed a flashlight and ran back out to my car after seeing that image, because I thought I had originally seen a plastic "mold line" that you might see in molded plastic parts. On closer inspection, it was in fact a crack in the exact same spot as that picture.

In addition, I noticed that my factory electrical connector clip to the N276 was damaged as well (I noticed that earlier, but wasn't sure how the hell it happened). I actually have the special VAG tool to take off those fiddly VW connectors (a great investment, btw, esp since I own 2 GTIs). So, I was pretty sure I did NOT break it taking it off of the HPFP. According to that other thread, apparently those dumb-as-fuq-engineering-design GTI MKV plastic engine covers can hit the top of the N276 sensor (ie - mine mysteriously broke) and cause damage to the N276. Regardless, upon closer inspection, it's clearly cracked... and that explains the "open circuit" reference on my MX808.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Thanks!
mk5 g28 71 2.5l.JPG

mk5 2.5 g71 28 2007.JPG

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16706/P0322/000802

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16490/P0106/000262