GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine shake upon cold start, gone very quickly

cyberboblouth

Hi Guys,

Car - 2006, MKV 2L FSI with 200,000KM
When starting from cold the engine seems to have excessive vibration / shake, previously I have used Seafoam and it got better - I suspected coked valves. This time it seems worse, and with the bonnet open there is also a metallic sound. All of this settles down with less than a minute, YouTube video here https://youtu.be/8XsZIz9UQLE. There are no error codes, car drives just fine, fuel economy, etc all good. Just this awful cold start issue.

I have checked the EGR, the gear hasn't got broken teeth and seems to operate. I have checked 2x PCV valves coming from air filter box pipework, they seem to be doing their job too.

Any ideas? While the metallic sound is new the other issue of excessive movement is not. Whatever causes it is short lived, the very initial engine running is normal, then the movement comes in and gets less as the choke comes off. I did think maybe it's a fuel/air ratio issue, not getting enough air into the mix when choke is on.

The foxwell NT644 Pro shows correct air temperature measurement, the O2 sensors start at higher voltage and drop down (then cycle) and certainly no codes stored or pending.

mikeftd16

No help on your question but maybe you can help with mine. I drove a 2007 GTI and it drove great, smooth trans and clutch, no leaks, etc.

BUT, I had to push DOWN on the gear shift to get into both 1st and 2nd gear, not just reverse. I've never seen this before, is this how the trans works or is this a sign of something horrible?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Can your scan tool look/log for misfire of all 4 cylinders during a cold startup. If not Vcds can.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
No help on your question but maybe you can help with mine. I drove a 2007 GTI and it drove great, smooth trans and clutch, no leaks, etc.

BUT, I had to push DOWN on the gear shift to get into both 1st and 2nd gear, not just reverse. I've never seen this before, is this how the trans works or is this a sign of something horrible?
No, it's not how the trans works. You should only need to push down to reverse, however I think it's more a linkage/shifter problem than a transmission problem

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Welcome to the forums. Perhaps you can start a new post with the issues that you are having seeing that it has no bearing with OP issue.