GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Blanket tabs falling out of the slots

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
This looks like another "if it hasn't happened to you yet, it will" things with these cars. Maybe the insulation blanket on the underside of the hood is loosing it's stiffness or it's shrinking? The result is that only the plastic fasteners are holding it on now and all the tabs that tuck into the slots around the perimeter are dropping out and the blanket is doing an "umbrella" downward. I have tried to hold these tabs in place with those medium size paper clamps from the office supply store but that's not working. Suggestions!? (I don't want to resort to adhesives...)

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs

I gave up and gold foiled it with that nasa stuff. And yessss my hood was never properly painted [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup

I gave up and gold foiled it with that nasa stuff. And yessss my hood was never properly painted [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

"[I]gold foiled it with that nasa stuff[/I]? You have my attention! Where did you get that [I]stuff[/I]?

I'd take the blanket off right now except for the engine heat's effect on the paint...

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Ah, yes DEI Wrap. Couldn't recall. I have a few more rolls of it for intake piping and stuff I've been meaning to use some boring winter weekend. I get it from Summit Racing myself - I'm sure there's other places you can find it.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There were reports of later year MKVs (maybe 2008-2009?) that didn't even ship with the insulation from the factory. I ditched mine after it started to sag and it was fine for the remaining 4 years I owned the car.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
That DEI foil is pricey! I just dropped $200.00 on having my head unit repaired. Until I can save up a little to do it right with the heat reflective wrap, my mommy helped me with this fix. LOL!:wub: Seriously, it's working for now.

Attachments

• DSC00644 (Small).JPG
    DSC00644 (Small).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 126

larcic

Ready to race!
couldve bought a new headunit for that lol, i wouldve sold you my stock one for a small fraction of tht

larcic

Ready to race!
and rip it off you dont need it. its a fire hazard when its falling apart. its useless

larcic

Ready to race!
same radio i got and i have the code for it on my manual wouldve been no compatibility issues i've been trying to sell it for over a year and i see many on sale all the time no one buys them