GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emissions inspection failure in Phoenix AZ

rott die walkure

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Took my Mk V GTI through emissions inspection last week. First time since COVID that I had to be inspected. Vehicle has been through 4 inspections since I have owned it. Car is APR Stage 2, with PCV flutter delete and catless downpipe. Never failed previously. Last week, the guy got down on his knees to look for cat. Hooked computer up to CPU and declared it was altered. Says PCV valve must be restored to stock. He was a bit of a jerk about it. Wrote everything down on the emissions report even though it passed emissions tests.

Anyone else had this problem crop up recently? Aside from a complete return to stock, what have you done to address this? This state is becoming more and more like California and I am having second thoughts about retiring here.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Took my Mk V GTI through emissions inspection last week. First time since COVID that I had to be inspected. Vehicle has been through 4 inspections since I have owned it. Car is APR Stage 2, with PCV flutter delete and catless downpipe. Never failed previously. Last week, the guy got down on his knees to look for cat. Hooked computer up to CPU and declared it was altered. Says PCV valve must be restored to stock. He was a bit of a jerk about it. Wrote everything down on the emissions report even though it passed emissions tests.

Anyone else had this problem crop up recently? Aside from a complete return to stock, what have you done to address this? This state is becoming more and more like California and I am having second thoughts about retiring here.
This may ruffle your feathers, apologies in advance...

They warn you on your AZ AQED website that that this could happen. Pretty sure it is federal law that cars that came equipped with cats have to keep them on. Some states however may not check or at least not require emissions testing if you live out in an area with little population. However it is not legal federally to remove and run without any cat if your car came with one.

From your state site;
  1. Tampering​

In addition to one of the above tests, a vehicle may undergo a visual inspection to determine the presence of certain emission control components as installed by the manufacturer. Inspection includes catalytic converter, operational air pump, positive crankcase ventilation system and evaporative control system. These inspections coupled with the evaporative system integrity (pressure) test constitute the tampering inspection.
By the time you retire you will be driving electric or hydrogen powered cars and all this emissions stuff that is better in one state or another will disappear, so don't change your retirement plans just yet. AZ a nice place to retire.

I would much rather have an electric GTI with 300-400 hp which would be easy even with todays tech.