GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS rotors?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I would go smooth.
slots can be felt under pads in hard braking. Drilled likely ok for street. Looks only gains. Smooth for daily driver.

Next time I will see if Girodisc has smooth.

Attachments

• 1E6805A6-7F7F-42E5-B274-09C436FDE9CF.jpeg
    1E6805A6-7F7F-42E5-B274-09C436FDE9CF.jpeg
    807 KB · Views: 707
  • 6ADD5C24-5CC3-4826-AB89-BC9EECAA66EC.jpeg
    6ADD5C24-5CC3-4826-AB89-BC9EECAA66EC.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 2DDD18D4-D6C9-4FCE-BE1A-E79B98C31CC0.jpeg
    2DDD18D4-D6C9-4FCE-BE1A-E79B98C31CC0.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 596
  • E43034E4-D85C-43C3-9A59-A2A826E0C307.jpeg
    E43034E4-D85C-43C3-9A59-A2A826E0C307.jpeg
    911.5 KB · Views: 399

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Those look great! (and expensive). You can really feel the slots under braking? That seems like a pretty obvious major design flaw no?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've used slotted before and I could hear and feel them under braking. I'm definitely a blank fan for street/track car, slotted for track car, drilled for show car/street car kind of guy. Application is everything. What's best depends on how hard you drive. I wouldn't even do drilled on the car if you are a back roads/ canyon carver/aggressive driver. They really do crack easily under those conditions. Fine on the street though. They can help in wet braking especially.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
I’m not a super aggressive driver, just daily driving with the odd spirited moment. Super wet winters where I live and I’m wanting an “upgraded” look, so sounds like drilled only might be the way to go for me. Thanks for all the input so far!

mattkosem

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'24 GTI
I have Stoptech slotted rotors on my car, front and back, for daily driving. They groan a bit at certain speeds. It is barely noticeable to passengers, if at all, and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I’m not a super aggressive driver, just daily driving with the odd spirited moment. Super wet winters where I live and I’m wanting an “upgraded” look, so sounds like drilled only might be the way to go for me. Thanks for all the input so far!

Yep, good choice for you. Be sure to buy a reputable brand.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Those look great! (and expensive). You can really feel the slots under braking? That seems like a pretty obvious major design flaw no?

Not a lot of experience with slotted but talked to others who track cars heavily and they said slotted can be felt under heavy braking. Not terrible but an aggressive feel. As others mention if you track or drive hard I would go smooth rotors with upgraded front calipers. The PP OE calipers are good but under very hard braking I can feel brake pressure plateau at around 90% of what I want. I think the single piston is the issue as stated before on the forum.

JD-1

Ready to race!
Blanks are the best. Go with centric premium rotors.

Didn't want to make a new thread to ask, but will the centric rotor hats/hubs rust? I thought I wanted slotted rotors til I looked at the price. It makes no sense to me to buy $400 Neuspeed Slotted front rotors, or the stoptech equivalent. Centric looks great I just don't want them to rust... FCP Euro seems to only have zimmerman but mixed posts online state they will still rust.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
R1 concepts has a 20% off sale right now. For non pp front and rear black cross drilled and slotted was 175 shipped after discount.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Didn't want to make a new thread to ask, but will the centric rotor hats/hubs rust? I thought I wanted slotted rotors til I looked at the price. It makes no sense to me to buy $400 Neuspeed Slotted front rotors, or the stoptech equivalent. Centric looks great I just don't want them to rust... FCP Euro seems to only have zimmerman but mixed posts online state they will still rust.
nope or at least for several years, the part the typically rust is painted black.

zoomnad

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI s
I had them on my BMW 128i. Looked and held up very well. I also went with ceramic pads. Big difference, no more black on wheels, car! On the other hand, I don't do track days or drive like a "Bat out of Hell"! Fast driver but not an asshole! They will be on my 2015 GTI when I need brakes again!

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Well as I dig deeper into my research more and more signs are pointing to going with blank rotors. It seems like it might not be worth it to spend a bunch of extra money on drilled rotors that provide no extra benefit and my be prone to cracking or causing noise, which kills me a little bit because I love how they look. Leaning towards the centric premium high carbon rotors right now.

Also for anyone that switched to ceramic pads...are you happy with your choice? I know they will not perform as well but I’m willing to give up a bit for less dust and less noise assuming it’s not an extreme departure from stock performance. I’m a daily driver only, no track days.