GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Earth Dreams Engine Upgrade Coming to Honda Civic

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Of course there's no arguing, you aren't allowed to actually say anything.

Pointless thread is pointless.

New Engines coming! No fucking shit there are new engines coming. What is remarkable about that?

I post these for general amusement. :)

What's remarkable is the type of engines :)

Calm down man. Ease that Honda hate.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The entire Earth Dreams group of technologies encompasses more than just naturally aspirated engines with direct injection. A turbo-diesel engine is also part of this suite, as are new continuously variable transmissions and new gasoline-electric hybrid powerplants.

Just about every manufacturer in the world is making those same types of engines and constantly working on improving all of them. How is that remarkable?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just about every manufacturer in the world is making those same types of engines and constantly working on improving all of them. How is that remarkable?

I'm not saying it was. I posted a link of an article.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How long has Honda been in the Diesel game...? I hope theirs is more reliable than my current TDI fiasco.

I was hoping to keep my car in the fam for 200k+ miles but it looks like I"ll have to offload it before it hits 60k due to reliability concerns. :( Bummer.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Meh, more CVT's...:thumbdown:

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
If we guess it will you tell us?

OK is it like 1.2 liters 3 cylinders 4 turbos 5 valves per cylinder and 6 speeds in the manual gearbox?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
We have a 2.2 and a 1.6 Turbo Diesel. I believe the 1.6 is much more efficient but still doesn't meet American standards. I doubt well see it over here.

Actually, Honda CVTs are much better to drive. Still awkward at times but nevertheless a great piece for efficiency and handling more torque. Who on this forum would buy a CVT anyways? Most target audience wouldn't care.

Honestly I don't know anything about power output yet.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Furthermore this article should help quell some angst about Honda just carrying over engines

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. Totally. Let's bring back a Honda that was made almost decades ago.

i mean at least let it not be a hybrid/or anything optional thats efficient other than hybrid:iono:. i driven a rented civic for a week and with my heavy foot mpg literally dropped down to how much i usually average in my gti and i drove it the same way except when i didn't drove it hard here and there. and that eco button didn't work for me (but thats just me) i just push the gas more still don't get much improvement in gas mileage :laugh:. i ended up getting just a little over same miles per tank as my gti. so i was surprised to not get the much difference in fuel/gas mileage except i only paid about 8$ less than gti in regular fuel

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Actually, Honda CVTs are much better to drive. Still awkward at times but nevertheless a great piece for efficiency and handling more torque. Who on this forum would buy a CVT anyways? Most target audience wouldn't care.

My wife would buy an Si if it came with a DSG, she likes small and sporty and comes from a "Honda" family.

Instead she will be getting a MK7 GTI to replace her TDI, she hates CVT's.

fr4c

Ready to race!
Not a fan of CVT whatsoever, the driving characteristics is just too bland for any driver to enjoy. Plus the constant "hum" of the engine note reminds me of a 12 year old playing the kazoo in music class that you just want to punch in the face.

Had the CVT in my 3.5 V6 Altima and absolutely hated it.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
CVT's are supposed to have gotten better over the years with better computer mapping and simulations. Also, with the 8speed ATX out there now, the line as far as driver "feel" is getting blurred.

Also people on forums are the minority. I bet 99% of drivers don't know (or care) how many gears their ATX has. Rather they just look at the MPG rating on the window sticker.

Had the CVT in my 3.5 V6 Altima and absolutely hated it.

Nissan has the worst CVT technology I've driven. Maxima, Altima and Rogue - all awful.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I had no issues with the CVT in the 2012 Altima I drove. Its a low rent family car, I can't say I cared as to how it shifted.
If I was to shop that segment these would be my priorities:

Price
Space
Comfort
Economy
Maintenance Costs/Ownership costs.

Matter of fact not feeling how it shifts is a plus in a car of that nature. Given how well the sales are doing for Nissan most customers seem to agree.