GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DWB - Driving while being Black?

Was this a clear case of prejudice?

• Yes. Cop (even though he was Hispanic) was being racist

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No. This happens to everyone...ok, well...a lot.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
the kids in the car were all Asian. they all thought the cop was racist, they were offended, talked about it for the remainder of the night, and are a bit traumatized for being singled out in a very WASP-ie part of Fig (near the row).
i don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder and don't assume everyone is out to get me, but... in general, the truth of the matter is that if it feels racist, it probably is. i also don't think the officer felt very comfortable after the experience, it seemed that way when he left. it's entirely possible that he felt bad about pulling me over as he would feel humiliated in that situation too--especially for such a lame reason.

Traumatized? ... TRAUMATIZED???!?!

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
To be honest, it sounds like he pulled you on a bogus reason of checking your paper plates, to inspect you and the passengers of the car for DWI, underage drinking, drug use in plain sight, or what have you. He saw a loaded car, and an opportunity to fill the quota.

Now while I'm not up to par on how valid his reason is to stop you, as paper plates on a car with bumper stickers sounds like horse shit to stop someone over. You could've asked for a supervisor to come on scene if you felt uncomfortable. It's also entirely possible that this guy disagreed with your bumper stickers and wanted to give you a hard time over it.

:thumbsup:
spot on.

McQueen77

Banned
:thumbsup:
spot on.

spot on? oh so now it wasn't racially motivated? wait, are you still a victim of prejudice? are your friends holding up ok after such a traumatic event? so NOW, you were just being pulled over for the reasons that he just mentioned? oh, ok... :iono:

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Traumatized? ... TRAUMATIZED???!?!

apparently common sense has evaded you.
let me explain the obvious. when you are non-White, in a place where you are one of few if not THE ONLY non-White person (surrounded by Whites), it is absolutely humiliating to be the ONE person seen by everyone with the cop car and the spot light and the flashlight and all that treating you like a criminal crap that goes along with traffic stops. i'm sure most of the students in the area had at one point in their life gotten pulled over or some other police experience, but still...the kids in the car were very embarrassed, especially since NOTHING had been done. we should have worn our "old married retired couple" masks i guess.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
spot on? oh so now it wasn't racially motivated? wait, are you still a victim of prejudice? are your friends holding up ok after such a traumatic event? so NOW, you were just being pulled over for the reasons that he just mentioned? oh, ok... :iono:

i believe the topic was presented as a question.
you have already said your peace. you don't think the cop was racist, and apparently you think i whipped out the "race card" because this apparently happens to everyone-- even though up to this point no one has actually mentioned knowing anyone who was stopped for having paper plates on a new car.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
yes, you should leave it at that.

being pulled over for 'no seatbelt' while wearing your seatbelt is just as BS or moreso than what you were pulled over for. cops can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whoever they want. but anyway, its just as i thought. you have no evidence to support your accusation and you are paranoid. your friends are too. my argument just destroyed your argument and all you can say is 'pulled over for driving new car equals weak sauce'. so i guess cops should just target people who driver beaters? there you go, pull over the poor only.. they must be up to no good. must be nice to be able to go through life and pull the race card (yes i said it again) for any manner of hardship or inconvenience you experience.

thanks for playing, stay in school and watch our for them racist cops.

/thread

the false equivalence was...
texting while driving --> against the law
not wearing a seatbelt --> against the law
you were stopped because the officers (at least pretended that they) thought you were breaking the law

paper plates --> not against the law
having kids in a car, driving around a college campus on a saturday night --> not against the law.

"my argument just destroyed your argument", really? you play too much PS3.

hiimelvin

Ready to race!
apparently common sense has evaded you.
let me explain the obvious. when you are non-White, in a place where you are one of few if not THE ONLY non-White person (surrounded by Whites), it is absolutely humiliating to be the ONE person seen by everyone with the cop car and the spot light and the flashlight and all that treating you like a criminal crap that goes along with traffic stops. i'm sure most of the students in the area had at one point in their life gotten pulled over or some other police experience, but still...the kids in the car were very embarrassed, especially since NOTHING had been done. we should have worn our "old married retired couple" masks i guess.

What the hell were you guys embarrassed for then? You need to be pulled over in a Hispanic neighborhood to not be embarrassed? This has nothing to do with common sense and everything to do with your own paranoia as has been pointed out several times before. If he made you all get out of the car and sit on the curb while explaining why light skinned Hispanics are dominant to dark skinned Hispanics and Asians then sure, by all means be traumatized and embarrassed. BUT, he didn't. He let you go with no traumatizing words or attitude. Why can't you just be happy nothing came of it?

You have no idea why he pulled you over. Maybe your car matched the description of a stolen car and he saw the temp plates and figured he would rather be safe than sorry. You think he would say that to you when pulling you over? "Yes I think this car is stolen". Cops are allowed to lie you know. Maybe it had nothing to do with your bumper sticker. Why do you have to jump to racism immediately instead of thinking of the more logical explanations? Oh and I have been pulled over in areas where my race wasn't dominant as well. Yea I had the BIG SCARY FLASHLIGHT on me too. Cop was not my race either. He was probably racist too right?

You think all those people driving by were all racist too? And you guys being pulled over only perpetuated their own racism? I highly doubt any of them gave a fuck. And even if they did, I doubt their initial reaction was to think of your race before anything else. Get over yourself.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
must be nice to be able to go through life and pull the race card (yes i said it again) for any manner of hardship or inconvenience you experience.

thanks for playing, stay in school and watch our for them racist cops.

/thread

the only that would be nicer is being able to go through life with the privilege of being blissfully ignorant to society, and never experiencing racism.
that would be awesome.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
What the hell were you guys embarrassed for then? You need to be pulled over in a Hispanic neighborhood to not be embarrassed? This has nothing to do with common sense and everything to do with your own paranoia as has been pointed out several times before. If he made you all get out of the car and sit on the curb while explaining why light skinned Hispanics are dominant to dark skinned Hispanics and Asians then sure, by all means be traumatized and embarrassed. BUT, he didn't. He let you go with no traumatizing words or attitude. Why can't you just be happy nothing came of it?

You have no idea why he pulled you over. Maybe your car matched the description of a stolen car and he saw the temp plates and figured he would rather be safe than sorry. You think he would say that to you when pulling you over? "Yes I think this car is stolen". Cops are allowed to lie you know. Maybe it had nothing to do with your bumper sticker. Why do you have to jump to racism immediately instead of thinking of the more logical explanations? Oh and I have been pulled over in areas where my race wasn't dominant as well. Yea I had the BIG SCARY FLASHLIGHT on me too. Cop was not my race either. He was probably racist too right?

You think all those people driving by were all racist too? And you guys being pulled over only perpetuated their own racism? I highly doubt any of them gave a fuck. And even if they did, I doubt their initial reaction was to think of your race before anything else. Get over yourself.

i assume you had point in there...somewhere.

McQueen77

Banned
OP, after reading all your responses I have deduced that you were not discriminated against for being black, but instead, for being retarded. and i don't btw play PS3 or any video games for that matter.

ive lived and worked as an adult in the city of Los Angeles since you were 7 years old and know far more than you will know for many, many years. You are the one who is ignorant but you are a kid, so you are forgiven.. Once you get out of college, you'll learn how the world actually works, not how they say it works in textbooks. now get over it, move on and keep an eye out for them license plates in the mail.

Govi

Passed Driver's Ed
He profiled your car, in effect, due to the political messages you'd put on it. I've never been stopped nor ever heard of anyone being stopped for owning a new car with paper plates, but then all I've known have waited a few years to put messages on their new cars. It sounds like he treated you courteously, despite the disrespect you showed him regarding removing the taped-on preliminary registration paperwork.

I see this is beginning to turn into racism debate thread, and which race experiences more prejudice, and all that kind of bullshit. In which case, I'm in before this gets ugly, or locked.

I gave you probably the most reasonable cause you were stopped, and I doubt it was because of the color of your skin.

Please do not go off in a tangent about how racism has grossly affected your life, as everyone from every race, unless sheltered among people of their own color, has experienced such a thing. I am white, and have experienced racism on several occasions. I get absolutely zero perks for being white, unless it's being able to drive through the backwoods parts of the sticks without being hassled by the local "good ole'boys." Even that is not guaranteed.

In summation, do not discuss how this has devastated and altered your outlook on the world, as it happens to everyone. If it's too much for you handle, you're gonna have to either suck it up and get over it, or just live in this paranoid, skeptical existence you've so far demonstrated. I showed you sympathy at first, as there are such things as dick cops, but I believe you were probably more so stopped for being a car full of kids driving around late at night. That's a prime target for police attention.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
OP, after reading all your responses I have deduced that you were not discriminated against for being black, but instead, for being retarded. and i don't btw play PS3 or any video games for that matter.

ive lived and worked as an adult in the city of Los Angeles since you were 7 years old and know far more than you will know for many, many years. You are the one who is ignorant but you are a kid, so you are forgiven.. Once you get out of college, you'll learn how the world actually works, not how they say it works in textbooks. now get over it, move on and keep an eye out for them license plates in the mail.

For the record, I am not a student, I am an alum. I am 39 years old and have worked very hard for most of my life, and have dealt with countless obstacles along the way. I asked this question specifically because I wasn't sure. The whole thing seemed funny to me--the kids, on the other hand, have already made up their minds, it's open and shut for them.

I have been discriminated against by LAPD twice before (while a student at USC), but unlike what the kids think, it seemed that possibly, this time there might have been another side to the story. So I put it out there. You've been having an argument with a straw man, as you were convinced that I was some ignorant kid using the race card as an excuse. So yes, that entire tone was offensive at the very start. It's not about "getting over" anything.