GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dustinwark| BUILD THREAD

BlakHawk02

Car(s)
'07 GTI United Grey
First off, awesome car. It looks really clean and done the right way. I recently bought a used '07 as well (United Grey though). Love this car to death and cant wait to get the parts I want for my car.
I should be getting my ECS Stubby Antenna in the next couple days and soon after my APR Carbonio Intake.

Im glad I found your build thread because I had not heard of some of those part dealers youve got listed in your sig.

I have a couple questions for you if you dont mind.
When you talk about the Plasti-Dip stuff you use, your not talking about that shit you dip handtools in to add a rubber grip right? Sorry but thats the only thing that comes to mind when you mention it...
Did your APR tuning mess with your MPG any?
What exactly does that catch-can that youve got do?

Sorry about the noobish questions, this is my first turbo car and VW for that matter.

Great build though, I cant wait for updates.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Those Audi wheels will look great

I am excited to so how they look.

First off, awesome car. It looks really clean and done the right way. I recently bought a used '07 as well (United Grey though). Love this car to death and cant wait to get the parts I want for my car.
I should be getting my ECS Stubby Antenna in the next couple days and soon after my APR Carbonio Intake.

Im glad I found your build thread because I had not heard of some of those part dealers youve got listed in your sig.

I have a couple questions for you if you dont mind.
When you talk about the Plasti-Dip stuff you use, your not talking about that shit you dip handtools in to add a rubber grip right? Sorry but thats the only thing that comes to mind when you mention it...
Did your APR tuning mess with your MPG any?
What exactly does that catch-can that youve got do?

Sorry about the noobish questions, this is my first turbo car and VW for that matter.

Great build though, I cant wait for updates.

Thanks, I put those vendors in my sig because I have done a lot of business through them and they are companies I believe in, so I try to give them a little extra business. Other than buying stuff from them, I am not connected.

The plasti-dip you are thinking of is one in the same. Except that it comes in an aerosol spray can. It is a very popular thing to use as it is not permanent, but gives a nice matte finish.

MPG actually went up slightly after the APR chip.

The catch-can does a couple of things. It removes the stock PCV system which is one of the first things that fails (causing a boost leak) when people tune their cars. They are even known to fail on stock boost figures. It not only replaces the stock PCV, but also adds the actual can. The can collects an oily/gunky buildup that would normally run through the engine and coat the intake valves. These engines a direct injection (where the fuel is actually injected straight into the chamber and not into intake manifold, like a lot of fuel injected systems do) and because the fuel does not travel through the intake manifold which would normally remove some of this buildup. A catch can will not remove all of this blow-by, but does remove some.

BlakHawk02

Car(s)
'07 GTI United Grey
I am excited to so how they look.

Thanks, I put those vendors in my sig because I have done a lot of business through them and they are companies I believe in, so I try to give them a little extra business. Other than buying stuff from them, I am not connected.

The plasti-dip you are thinking of is one in the same. Except that it comes in an aerosol spray can. It is a very popular thing to use as it is not permanent, but gives a nice matte finish.

MPG actually went up slightly after the APR chip.

The catch-can does a couple of things. It removes the stock PCV system which is one of the first things that fails (causing a boost leak) when people tune their cars. They are even known to fail on stock boost figures. It not only replaces the stock PCV, but also adds the actual can. The can collects an oily/gunky buildup that would normally run through the engine and coat the intake valves. These engines a direct injection (where the fuel is actually injected straight into the chamber and not into intake manifold, like a lot of fuel injected systems do) and because the fuel does not travel through the intake manifold which would normally remove some of this buildup. A catch can will not remove all of this blow-by, but does remove some.

Thanks for the quick response. I never thought about that plasti-dip but that is a pretty good idea.

Im debating on coating my front shield with 3M's Di-noc carbon fiber vinyl or just goin with Plasti-dip. Not sure which way I wanna go yet because if I do the 3M I think I may wanna also apply it to my B-pillar on the doors. Any comments/opinions on that idea?

That catch-can sounds like a part worth buying, only thing is I'm in college and tight on money so I cant splurge as much as I'd like on my ride. Is BSH's PCV fix system an adequate supplement instead of getting the catch-can or are they not same concept?

Which APR stage did you get by the way? I wanna say I read Stage 1 but I cant remember. Either way thats all I'd go because of expense.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me grasp a bit of this.

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
dustin.

how much higher would your rear be with the perches in? i'm looking to get Koni's this coming spring and i want to know how my dub will look with them on. idk if i'm going to want to remove the perches or not then either. either way though your car looks awesome!

-Steve

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Thanks for the quick response. I never thought about that plasti-dip but that is a pretty good idea.

Im debating on coating my front shield with 3M's Di-noc carbon fiber vinyl or just goin with Plasti-dip. Not sure which way I wanna go yet because if I do the 3M I think I may wanna also apply it to my B-pillar on the doors. Any comments/opinions on that idea?

That catch-can sounds like a part worth buying, only thing is I'm in college and tight on money so I cant splurge as much as I'd like on my ride. Is BSH's PCV fix system an adequate supplement instead of getting the catch-can or are they not same concept?

Which APR stage did you get by the way? I wanna say I read Stage 1 but I cant remember. Either way thats all I'd go because of expense.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me grasp a bit of this.

You could always try the plasti-dip, if you don't like it, peel it off an try something else, there is ZERO prep required, no sanding, no primer, nothing.

I would say save up and get the full catch-can, something you should pick up before going stage one. You could also check the classifieds for a used one. Do some searching as there are different types of catch-cans and lots of companies make their own version. I like BSHs as I think it looks the best and in the end they all work about the same.

I went stage 1, one of the cool things about APR is there is no fee to go to the next stage (you just need to get the hardware). Stage 1 requires nothing more than a stock GTI, next is downpipe, then HPFP. Do some searching on this site and theirs for more info. They do a huge sale several times a year which is what I did. $600 for a fully loaded ECU and I can upgrade whenever for free. Fully loaded ECU comes with 4 programs, security lockout, and fault code erase.

No problem, I spend too much time on these forums, so I am here anyway.

dustin.

how much higher would your rear be with the perches in? i'm looking to get Koni's this coming spring and i want to know how my dub will look with them on. idk if i'm going to want to remove the perches or not then either. either way though your car looks awesome!

-Steve

Truthfully I am not sure, do a search for the Koni discussion thread, it is really long and has pictures of people with Koni coils at all different heights. I put mine in with the perches out from the start as I knew they didn't go too low. I am debating finding some shorter springs as i would love to sit about 3/4" lower. Thanks!

BlakHawk02

Car(s)
'07 GTI United Grey
You could always try the plasti-dip, if you don't like it, peel it off an try something else, there is ZERO prep required, no sanding, no primer, nothing.

I would say save up and get the full catch-can, something you should pick up before going stage one. You could also check the classifieds for a used one. Do some searching as there are different types of catch-cans and lots of companies make their own version. I like BSHs as I think it looks the best and in the end they all work about the same.

I went stage 1, one of the cool things about APR is there is no fee to go to the next stage (you just need to get the hardware). Stage 1 requires nothing more than a stock GTI, next is downpipe, then HPFP. Do some searching on this site and theirs for more info. They do a huge sale several times a year which is what I did. $600 for a fully loaded ECU and I can upgrade whenever for free. Fully loaded ECU comes with 4 programs, security lockout, and fault code erase.

No problem, I spend too much time on these forums, so I am here anyway.

Thanks Dustin. I think I'll go for the catch-can and Im actually thinking of going with the P-Flo intake because the jackass that had the car before me cracked the engine cover in several places. I know im losing alot of air where its broken so if i went with the carbonio id have to buy a new engine cover as well. With the P-Flo ill just be removing the cover so its more cost effective in my case. Found some springs on DBC for $200 bucks too so I think ill get those as well just not sure if I want the Neuspeed or H&R.

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
Truthfully I am not sure, do a search for the Koni discussion thread, it is really long and has pictures of people with Koni coils at all different heights. I put mine in with the perches out from the start as I knew they didn't go too low. I am debating finding some shorter springs as i would love to sit about 3/4" lower. Thanks!

alright man. and beyond that they are all the way down in both the front and rear then?

also dustin

what is your fender to ground?

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
dustin.

-Steve

Worst case you can always put the perches back in; the rear is easy to do compared to taking helper springs out in the front or putting them back in.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
I didn't read everything in the thread ,but I was wondering if you had spacers?

Your stance in your sig. is really aggressive looking =]

You should read it, it''s good :wink:.

I do not have spacers, your eyes must be playing tricks on you as my wheels are SUNK.

You can see better in this picture how sunken in my wheels actually sit. I am not bothering with spacers as I have new wheels coming soon.

Heco94

Ready to race!
oh wow they are .. They looked better in the sig .. or I didn't take a good look at it =] ...

I really wanted to see a pic with classix & spacers with the wheels directly on the fender line ( If you understand what I'm saying ) I'm 16 so I can't afford wheels( -.- ) All I can do is a color matching and spacers .. =] well you gotta work w/what u got ;) I'll give it a read .. got nothing better to do

Last edited: