GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx weird inner edge tyre wear...

nafets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 VW GOLF R32
This is Side Note to 225/40 R18 Tyre thread i posted the other day......

I have noticed that the tyres on the right hand side only have weird inside edge tyre wear. The tyres have worn the inner edge bad on one half of the rolling circumference of the tyre....i hope this make sense...
I got a wheel alignment at 18,000kms for slight inner edge wear the vehicle has done 24161kms, the left hand side tyres are fine no signs of this issue. I've had the wheels balanced which are fine, i don't belive its a alignment issue because the whole rolling circumference would be worn not half of it. Was wondering has anyone had this issue, i leaning towards an issue with the tyres.......

Cheers Stefan

Last edited:

chaddy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
My Dunlops wore out on the outside shoulders of the LHS tires. I put this down to going through alot of roundabouts (quickly). Are you running 41psi pressures?
Mine only lasted 26000kms and got very noisy from 15k onwards.
Upgrade to a better tyre and rotate/balance/align regularly and you should find a big improvement over the Dunlops.
I just had mine rotated/aligned after 5000kms with the F1s and the improvement was noticeable after only a short time.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Rubbing internally somewhere?
Wierd that it's only 1/2 of the circumference.

nafets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 VW GOLF R32
It is weird, after talking to numerous people in suspension game, mechanics including me old man, we have narrowed it down to the tyres itself. Because everything from alignment to tyre pressure will wear parts of the tyre in its full circumference. Thinking maybe the tyres are out of round, been in contact with Dunlop HQ i have to get them inspected first before the matter goes any further....

nafets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 VW GOLF R32
Update on the tyre situation! Had a bit of success today!! Went to the local Beaurepaires tyre store today to get the tyres inspected. My outcome was they put two new tyres on & it was a 50/50 so basicly i paid for one tyre....