GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG vs 6 Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

USCTrojan619

I Bleed CARDINAL and GOLD
I've been reading different reasons why people have chosen to buy GTIs, and mostly what I've read is performance for a 4-banger, and fun-to-driveability. When I hear those things, I don't necessarily think of a car with automatic transmission.

Granted it's DSG, I'd still think that a 6 speed would make driving the GTI even more fun, and allow the driver to be in more control performance wise.

If you chose DSG over 6 speed, why?

If you chose 6 speed over DSG, why?

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI
oh lord... search.. please search. i'm sure this thread has been discussed endless times.

i thought you weren't getting the GTI anymore... ???

greypsoh

Ready to race!
I test drove both the 6-speed and the DSG. I bought the DSG. I've been driving a manual since my first car -- I said I would never get an automatic. After test driving the DSG, it changed my mind.

I do have to deal with traffic sometimes and that is why having an automatic is nice. However, I can still have a blast with this car on back roads with the paddle shifters. I feel that it is the best of both worlds.

I now have 3500 miles on my car and I'm still loving it. I was tempted to go with the 6 speed, but I'm glad I didn't.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Yea seriously, this thread seems to be always pop up on the boards so there's plenty of information to be found.
Not to mention it tends to end in a flame fest...

I personally picked DSG because it's an amazing transmission IMO. Granted, it does not take the place of a true manual if that's what one prefers. But I've never owned a manual car anyway and came from a traditional automatic which DSG is worlds of an improvement over.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI
well, i'm going to go ahead and answer your question... since i have nothing better to do.

I've had my GTI for a year and four months and have 22,000 miles. I love the DSG. love the manual mode, sport mode, and lazy...er, i mean D.

utekineir

Banned
generally I hate automatics. I don't hate the dsg. Don't really love it either.

I had gotten a holdover, so it basically was what was on the car.

USCTrojan619

I do search. I hate it when people say that just because I'm brand new to a forum. I go to forums for EVERYTHING, and this is not my first. I know my way around forums. If a search doesn't give me what I'm looking for in its first page, then that's good enough for me start a new one.

And I said getting a GTI may be out of the question for now, but I didn't say I wasn't getting one period.

P.S. I did come across a "flame-war" of 6MT vs DSG, and didn't think it contained the info I was looking for, until the 2nd page where it kind of did, so I guess the search technically did work. If I had known asking these questions would be such a touchy subject, I wouldn't have brought it up. Ooops! :thumbsup:

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
Die hard manual driver here. All my cars are and have been manuals.

I have the R32 with DSG and love it. I specifically wanted the DSG technology whether I bought the R or GTI. Why? I just wanted a change I guess, and I really wanted to experience the DSG after all the great things I had heard about it.

So far all has been true to form. I'm very happy with it. It makes me feel like a F1 driver when using the paddles. :w00t:

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
I do search. I hate it when people say that just because I'm brand new to a forum. I go to forums for EVERYTHING, and this is not my first. I know my way around forums. If a search doesn't give me what I'm looking for in its first page, then that's good enough for me start a new one.

And I said getting a GTI may be out of the question for now, but I didn't say I wasn't getting one period.

P.S. I did come across a "flame-war" of 6MT vs DSG, and didn't think it contained the info I was looking for, until the 2nd page where it kind of did, so I guess the search technically did work. If I had known asking these questions would be such a touchy subject, I wouldn't have brought it up. Ooops! :thumbsup:

Not saying you were directing that to me in particular, but I'm relatively new to the forum myself, so I wouldn't say to search for that reason only. This is just a subject which has been extensively discussed and seems to pop back up at least once a week.

It's not so much so that it's a touchy subject, more that most people seem to have a very defined reason why they chose one over the other and cannot accept that their reason in no way holds up for everyone. That's putting it mildly :thumbsup:

USCTrojan619

Well, thanks all for your responses.

I'm also a die-hard fan of manual and NEVER thought of automatic transmission when thinking about performance (and I'm not talking about professional racing/exotics). Still, many of the DSG responses have made me curious to try one. . .

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Cool. That settles it then. Try them both out and see what you think. It's a personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less. As others have said, this has been discussed many times here. So I'm sure you'll find plenty of info when you search it out. The problem doesn't lie so much in the fact that you've started the thread, as much as it is the shananigans it leads to. Good luck with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.