GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG to 6spd Conversion -- I'm going for it!!

abacuc

Not sure how accurate it is, but DSG came to 181 lbs and 02Q was 109. That doesn't include the clutch, pedal, and shifter, but it still should be a 60-70 lb swing from the front of the car.
Does 02Q weight include the flywheel?

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Does 02Q weight include the flywheel?

Nope, neither listed weight includes it. The 02Q flywheel is I believe 20 lbs, and the clutch adds a bit more. The 02E includes the clutches but not the flywheel--I have it in my garage and should weigh it. I think it might be less than 20.

____

Drove it this morning to grab some breakfast and then some gear oil at the dealer, still working great! The aforementioned whine is only in higher gears while accelerating, mostly 4th. It's not bad but I'm hoping the fluid change takes care of it; I did check to make sure it wasn't dry but it might be low.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
I forgot to mention--cruise control doesn't work yet. There's a wire, (the red one in my harness), that needs to go to the ECU from the clutch sensor. I'm assuming to tell the ECU that the clutch isn't in. I just was more interested in driving the car than I was in running that rather difficult lead. I'll get to it and update when cruise works.

Also, I thought it was kind of interesting that the PRNDS/123456 indicators in the MFD disappeared when it couldn't talk to the transmission, but, left blank space where they would be. When I coded everything out, that blank space disappeared and things shifted down.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wow, fast swap. Congrats!!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
You actually pulled it off lol. Seen this so many times in the years I've been on here and everyone ends in disappointment. Glad to see you were actually able to do it. I will have to get in touch with you when I decide to swap the manual trans into the racecar. If it is at all possible for you to post what modules and coding you had to mess with for reference material that would be amazing!

ghost_03

Ready to race!
You actually pulled it off lol. Seen this so many times in the years I've been on here and everyone ends in disappointment. Glad to see you were actually able to do it. I will have to get in touch with you when I decide to swap the manual trans into the racecar. If it is at all possible for you to post what modules and coding you had to mess with for reference material that would be amazing!

Haha thanks! Yes I'll definitely post the coding I did at some point, just need to take the time to document it. It really wasn't bad, ymmv depending on the individual car of course.

I think one of the problems others have faced making it seem difficult or impossible is trying to code out things that need to be wired--i.e. skipping out on wiring the reverse and/or clutch sensors. The car needs those signals and doesn't want them spoofed. Fortunately, the wiring is well-documented in the Bentley manual, it's mostly a matter of putting in the effort to follow it.

I'm also now thinking that my 'implausible clutch signal' is related to the cruise control wire not being hooked up yet as opposed to high resistance wiring. Cruise control doesn't have a 'clutch out' signal, but the car isn't decelerating or freely revving either, so the no-signal/clutch-in-signal is "implausible." We'll see there.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Changed the gear oil last night. It was pretty dark and a bit low--sure enough the little bit of whine I had went completely away. Doesn't shift any better, but it was shifting just fine before.

Also ran the clutch sensor wire to the ECU for cruise control. This was a bit of a pain to do for just one wire because you have to pull the ECU and open up the connector, as well as run the lead through the firewall and safely around all of the wiper business. Here's the other end of that VW repair lead I purchased in the ECU connector in the right spot. Sure enough, cruise works now!

Also, I am like 99% convinced my gas mileage improved. I don't think that's a 6MT vs DSG thing, rather a '10 80k mile gearbox vs a '06 137k gearbox. Watching the MFD it feels like the car went back to the mileage it got when it was only a few years old.

Swap is pretty much done and everything on the car works as it should. Now I need to document a few things and take care of all of the leftover parts!

Depending on code and what car the dsg vs 6MT gearing isdifferent...dsg on a 2.0t vs v6 are different(mech unit mostly). And the dsg doesn't have water cooling through the unit just the cooler on top.

Awesome work tho, not something I'd want to tackle.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Depending on code and what car the dsg vs 6MT gearing isdifferent...dsg on a 2.0t vs v6 are different(mech unit mostly). And the dsg doesn't have water cooling through the unit just the cooler on top.

Awesome work tho, not something I'd want to tackle.

Thanks man. Yeah the little cooler is what I meant, I should've been more descriptive.

Also found this thread with gear ratios for anyone interested--differences are subtle but there. Looks like I way overstated the 50-100 RPM. More like 15-20 haha!

ghost_03

Ready to race!
Update after a week with it--car is doing great and I've put about 300 miles on it. Just passed NYS inspection no issues. Lol I'm pretty sure the tech stalled pulling it into the garage. Probably didn't expect a brand new clutch on a 137k car lol.

Only minor issue that has cropped up is that there is a slow leak on the driver's side axle flange--no wonder gear oil was a little low when I changed it. Ordered a new seal and the relevant bolts. Kind of funny that's nothing more than a footnote after the project; probably a $2-300 job normally.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
I've done a few engine swapped, trand swapped inspections and it ALWAYS is a problem especially with the nyvip2...go play the lotto you got some luck right now.

LOL right? I was pretty nervous when they were inspecting it but AFAIK I was going to pass...had no codes, everything incl. rev lights worked OK, etc. I think being a mild swap--I mean, plenty of identical BPY GTIs came off the line with 02Qs configured pretty much identically--helped a lot. Plus I don't have anything else that might fail like a downpipe, 02 spacers, or a tune that codes out errors.

Which, fwiw, I had some trouble with last year. Even with a stock downpipe and turning off the CEL delete I couldn't get the OBD2 catalyst test to actually run in Eurodyne. Ended up moving some maps over to their stage 1 tune and everything runs optimally there.