GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Not Manually shifting up

coltron5k

Car(s)
Mkv and Mk4 GTI
Hello all! I posted this question to another forum with no luck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

My car is a mk5 GTI. I got in a light collision and have since been repairing the suspension. I finally got it together for a test drive and noticed that my direct shift won't allow me to manually shift up.

There are no other issues shifting in drive or even manually shifting down.

I'm confused as to what may cause this. I blame it sitting for so long but it isn't in condition to be driven properly to further examine it. However I should be able to pick a gear without moving anyway...

Does it need to be driven again because it's been so long? No CEL.

I will post more info when I can but I'm curious if anyone has an idea or had dealt with this issue in the past.

Thanks!

coltron5k

Car(s)
Mkv and Mk4 GTI
Have you done a scan with a proper scan tool?
Hey GTIs! No I haven't yet. I ordered a scan tool and I will post the results when it arrives.

I was hoping for this to be a more common issue. Have you heard of anything like this before with the direct shift?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Have you done a search on this issue on VWs, seems a few have had it and the solution varied as I recall from new mech. unit to selector. Has this car actually been driven on roads at speed?

coltron5k

Car(s)
Mkv and Mk4 GTI
Have you done a search on this issue on VWs, seems a few have had it and the solution varied as I recall from new mech. unit to selector. Has this car actually been driven on roads at speed?
I tried to find info regarding this but no luck. If you can link some that'd be great.

I haven't gotten it up to speed but I got it through the gears once in drive. I'm currently still sorting out the suspension and I just need a new wheel to properly diag this issue.

The reason it concerns me is I have big brakes so I'm going to have to drop some cash on new wheels and some other parts before I can get to this. I am dumping a lot of cash and this is a new issue for the car that I didn't expect.

I understand I've got a lot to take care of in order to even get to the transmission problem but I just want to get as much info as possible.

Is it plausible that the reason it won't shift up would be due to the fact it was sitting long and the trans needs to calibrate itself or something to that extent?

I would blame the shifter but the paddle is doing the same thing. No upshift only down.

I appreciate your input greatly especially considering I'm not giving much to go on. I just want this thing back on the road properly

Thank you!

coltron5k

Car(s)
Mkv and Mk4 GTI
I got a generic scan tool on it today and got 3 codes.

P0658
P0688
P0118

I know that the coolant sensor is wired improperly so I'm taking care of that today.

I'm going to try to get my hands on a VW scan tool for more info.