GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Noise

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I have checked all the other posts and did not see my issue with a sound coming from the DSG.

Since I have owned the car, I have had a noise coming from the transmission after startup. It is a clanking noise and it is actually coming from the gearbox. Over time, it has gotten louder.

I took it to a shop out here in the UAE and they said that it cannot be repaired as there is a little plastic piece (could be something else due to language barrier) that sits within the gears that breaks when the gearbox is opened. They stated that VW and other dealers out here do not offer the part and therefore the whole transmission needs to be replaced.

I know Zev has had the gearbox opened for the clutchpacks. Has anyone heard of this piece that they are talking about that breaks? :help:

kgw

NotAThing
Car(s)
2006 A3 3.2 quattro
It sounds like they don't know what they are talking about. . .If you are hearing clanking noises in that area, I would start reading up on the dual-mass flywheel. There have been numerous failures documented. There have been at least 3 + over at the mk5 r32 forum on the VWVortex site.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Flywheel. Have it looked at by your dealership asap. This (if it is the flywheel) is what Killed BetaOp's car as well.

Dr.Kilgore

Professional Drifter
Car(s)
2008 VW R32 #4431
The Mechatronic for one is known to fail, and it hit alot of R owners- including myself, and if I'm not mistaken, Zevion twice.

RHCP4LIFE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
.:R32
i just replaced my flywheel check to see if the noise is only in park and neutral. take a video post it up

Dr.Kilgore

Professional Drifter
Car(s)
2008 VW R32 #4431
^ This- on top of that, listen for any odd clicking noises when shifting, atleast ones apart from the norm. That's where it started with me on the Mechatronic; the shifting began sounding really gritty.

RHCP4LIFE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
.:R32
Mechatronic was recalled make sure you have all recalls up to date.

The flywheel is dual mass, when it fails it rattles when disengaged. The rattling causes vibrations if left for long enough it may cause the flywheel bolts to back out; case of beta. Now his engine is fucked

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
Thanks everyone for the information. I will take a look into it and also try to post a vid or sound clip of what the sound is.

Since I am not in the U.S. there are not really any recall or customer satisfaction anything and all parts are double priced or more. I just got a quote for 1 new axle for $1k. Absolutely crazy.

Thanks again.